OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 11, 2020 7:47 pm  #1

How to trust anyone again... moving forward

Hello everyone. I haven't posted in a while but need some help. 
I found out my husband of 30+ years was gay, living a double life, etc, in 2016. We still loved each other and tried to work it out for a year when I realized I was trying to fix something that was unfix-able, I could not change my husband's attraction to men and I was not willing to live in an open marriage.
We separated in 2017 and divorced in early 2018. As anyone who's been through this knows, it severely damages the ability to trust another human being again. I have been in a relationship with a great heterosexual man for a couple of years and whenever he talks about a future together or commitment I run the other way. It feels like I'm being pushed up to the edge of a cliff and being asked to jump. I think there is some PTSD going on (at least the symptoms feel this way).  I have put my boyfriend through lots of grief because of the pulling back so many times. How do I know if it's just fear or something else? I know that I'm going to have to be willing to trust again (and be vulnerable) to have a healthy fulfilling relationship. Any thoughts or sharing your own experience about this issue would be greatly appreciated.   

May 12, 2020 4:05 pm  #2

Re: How to trust anyone again... moving forward

I know what you mean. When he first announced he was gay and wanted a divorce I was almost 60 and decided immediately that that I wanted to to date. At the time I was wanting it to lead to a second marriage and I tried to figure out what kind of man I wanted - besides straight and honest.

I decided that any man in my demographic who had never been been married probably was looking for a replacement for his mother - or someone to care for her. I also would have ruled out anyone who had a series of relationships/marriages which did not last long. If I had met anyone I was interested in I would have researched him like crazy to look for red flags or information inconsistent with what he'd told me. Although my attorney had given me the green light to date though I did not find anyone appealing.

When I told a friend that I was separated and why she said that I had to meet X, a widower. She also told him that he had to meet me so he looked me up. As I finalized the financial part of my divorce I realized  that I did not want to remarry. I'm in the U.S. and I knew from caring for my parents that a husband's medical needs could wipe out my financial security if he were to need to go into a nursing home and receive Medicaid. Not marrying also has the benefit of not acquiring resentful adult step-children. Although many couples eventually move in together we still have our own houses and the downside during this pandemic is that we have had to socially isolate alone.

You begin to trust when everything checks out and you begin feel comfortable in the relationship. Are you apprehensive because you feel that he is trying to move forward too fast or because he wants marriage and you aren't sure that marriage is what you want? Do you feel that you can be honest with him and that he will respect your thoughts?

I hope he's everything you want. Being able to give love that is respected and reciprocated is wonderful.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

May 12, 2020 7:56 pm  #3

Hi Abby. Thanks for your response. You bring out many good points. I am in the same age range (late 50's) and don't want to be anyone's "nurse or purse" as they say. The man I fell in love with was ready to marry really soon after my divorce which did scare me as I knew I wasn't ready. Now that it's been two-and-a-half years since we started dating he is discouraged waiting for me to be ready so I guess I have to make the decision to let him go and find someone who wants to be married or take a leap of faith, hoping my feet will hit the ground and he will be the man I believe him to be. I am able to be completely honest with him and he has been extremely supportive, always there for me, throughout the process of rebuilding my life after the trauma of my first marriage. All this makes it very hard to give him up. I try to listen to my heart but don't trust it too much after being deceived for more than 30 years. Guess I need to learn to trust myself again first before I can trust anyone else. 
I'm happy for you that you have someone in your life who is on the same page about your relationship. I wish you all the best.  

May 13, 2020 10:24 am  #4

N9,

Why is the choice marry him or let him go?  What doesn't he like,about the current relationship that marriage is somehow supposed to make better?
A implied choice like that seems a red flag.

I ask because while I am in a relationship and marriage is not something that holds any solution or answer for me right now.  I dated and was engaged to my GX for years before getting married..and that did not make any difference.
I think the answer to marry someone of not lies elsewhere than the number of years together..

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

May 13, 2020 10:57 am  #5

I hesitated to say anything but I'm glad Rob raised the issue of red flags.
Maybe because it's already been two years since I separated from my now ex, and I sometimes upbraid myself that I should have been able to put it all behind by now, it seems to me that it really hasn't been that long for you, N9, especially after 30+ years of marriage (I had been married for 35 years when I left): four years since your ex's disclosure, three since separation, two since divorce.  
That your beau was pushing you to marry him right after your divorce means you couldn't have been together all that long before the divorce.  That push in and of itself is a red flag to me (that he has stayed with you another two years seems good, however).  Maybe I am too suspicious myself, but I hope you have thoroughly vetted him, and know about his finances and past relationships, because pushing for a quick commitment is one of the principal tactics of a narcissist who sees you of use to him.  It's one thing not to want to be a "nurse or purse," but it's another to make sure you're not being manipulated into a situation in which you might become one.  If you do decide to marry, do so with a clear pre-nup, and make sure you know the status of pre-nups in the courts in your state, as well as other ramifications like losing access to a divorced  spouse's access to the ex-spouse's social security or other Federal retirement benefits.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (May 13, 2020 11:01 am)

May 13, 2020 5:04 pm  #6

Hi, Like Rob, I was friends & dated GIDXH for quite a few years before we married. I had no red flags until a year into the marriage.

Rather than lack of trust, could you just not want a commitment now, or realize the chemistry is off? Rebound boyfriends are usually there to bolster self-esteem & you move on.

If he decides to break up, there are other men for you to date.  Have fun & don’t worry.  Things will fall into place.

It will be 4 years in September since my divorce. I had a rebound guy right after the divorce. He was straight, but not a nice guy. It was a reminder that I was in no shape to date. I’ve taken time off from dating to grieve the loss of my marriage, and think about my next steps. I’m not advising you to do that. Listen to your instincts though.

Take care.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

May 14, 2020 1:52 pm  #7

Thanks everyone. You've given me some important things to think about. I'm realizing that no matter what the reason is for my hesitancy to commit (to marriage), the bottom line is I'm not ready. So if he moves on, then he moves on. And I can take time to heal and be OK with myself.

Board footera