OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 22, 2020 4:35 pm  #1

An Exit Plan - Request for Advice

Hi everyone,
I have read over so many posts and am so thankful for this forum. So much heartbreak and suffering.
I’ve been married for 5 years to a ‘Christian’ man. He posed as a Christian and yet I have never seen him open his bible. He won’t have anything to do with church or spirituality with me.
This is my second marriage and his first. I am 50 and he is 57 years old. I have found evidence of gay behaviour i.e. a text message, nude photos of himself, questionable friends, Vaseline, a douche, going to gay beaches... and have always felt things are off with him, I guess you could say. He’s a macho guy and homophobic.
Last week I put a GPS tracker on his vehicle and can see that he goes to a park or two on his way home from work. This place is notorious for hookups and he even took me there to use the portapotty a few weeks ago. Men were staring at us and I could see that the single men in cars. My friend actually thinks he went in to the portapotty for a hookup while I was waiting in the car. He told me after to not go in there, it’s really dirty. Could he have taken me there to mock me and actually have a hookup? Or did he want to show me where he goes?
We have only had sex 2 times in 2020 and it wasn’t even good for him. He is in this devious behaviour even while we are in quarantine for a pandemic which is utterly shocking. He has a very volatile personality, can be violent and gaslight as you say. There is absolutely no conversation about our marriage or relationship. He is fine as long as you don’t poke the bear.
I have a psychologist, lawyer, family and friends that know about this. I feel fully supported, I have a place to go which I am grateful for.
My question for you is, to know if there is any value discussing the situation with him? I wouldn’t reveal that I have proof that he goes to these parks but I somehow want to have a mature, civil conversation about our marriage dying and how can we manage the logistics of separating??
Of course I would love to tell him what I know but I can’t, that would make the situation impossible. There are thoughts from my support group that I just pack up and leave, then file for divorce. I don’t like taking off like a thief in the night and I am enraged that I am the one that would have to leave in order to end it. I’m working full time and it’s so unsettling to have to grab this and that just because we can’t have a conversation.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
I really can’t live like this knowing where he’s going and coming home pretending that everything is fine. I do have an option of getting a microphone for the vehicle or a Private Investigator to have video footage.
Your insight is so appreciated. I know that you’ve all been through this and it’s just so devastating.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
I hope you are all safe and well.

April 22, 2020 6:53 pm  #2

Re: An Exit Plan - Request for Advice

Leave as soon as you can and do not attempt to speak with him.   His activities during the pandemic are endangering your life.  Speaking with him will only "poke the bear," and you say he is volatile.  You are not going away "like a thief in the night."  You are fleeing a burning building.  When the house is burning, you don't stay inside it to talk about what started the fire.  You get out.  You will have plenty of time to talk to him later, should you decide that is necessary.  At this time, you need to get out to safety.  

April 22, 2020 7:36 pm  #3

Simpatica wrote:

........ There are thoughts from my support group that I just pack up and leave, then file for divorce. I don’t like taking off like a thief in the night and I am enraged that I am the one that would have to leave in order to end it. I’m working full time and it’s so unsettling to have to grab this and that just because we can’t have a conversation.

Keep a tight hold on that rage Simpatica....it's a good tool to have in your back pocket
You seem to have the support, self-determination and options to leave. Don't view it as being a thief in the night because even if you tried to have a conversation with him it reads like he would only see it as you leaving because of you, not you leaving because of him. Plenty of time when you're set up safely somewhere else with an emotional buffer between you both that may make discussing it better for your well-being

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

April 22, 2020 8:11 pm  #4

Make sure your attorney is aware of his volatility and that he can be violent and listen to his or her advice. Domestic violence support resources are operating during the closures and he or she can provide you with information about them.

Everything OutofHisCloset said is true. Your most important concern must be for your safety. 

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

April 22, 2020 8:38 pm  #5

I had a similar situation with a violent GIDXH.  If your country/local police force is sympathetic towards victims of domestic violence, call them if he hits you.  I have heard that incidents of domestic violence have increased due to the pressure a violent person feels from shelter in place.

I was hit many times during my marriage. The last time he hit me, I ran onto the street and called 911, our police emergency number. Those officers who came to help me arrested him. Am forever grateful to them.

PS Feel free to personal message me. Stay safe and never tell this person why you are leaving!! He may start stalking you when you leave, so cease all contact when you do - send his email to spam & change your cell number without forwarding calls from your old number. Let all calls go to VM...so easy for him to get a new Google voice number.

Last edited by MJM017 (April 22, 2020 8:54 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

April 23, 2020 8:55 am  #6

Simpatica wrote:

We have only had sex 2 times in 2020 and it wasn’t even good for him.

He is in this devious behaviour even while we are in quarantine for a pandemic which is utterly shocking. He has a very volatile personality, can be violent and gaslight as you say. 

I really can’t live like this knowing where he’s going and coming home pretending that everything is fine.

Hi Simpatica, 
Welcome to the forum.  I'm so sorry you need to be here, but I hope we can help. 
I quoted your first post above, only I saved only a few lines that stood out to me and I want to highlight those. 

So you know he is gay for 3 reasons.  First, you have an intuition that led you to seek proof.  Second, you've only had sex twice in nearly 5 months and it wasn't good.  Third, you've observed him going to a gay hangout park on the way home from work.  I would say that you have more than enough proof that your husband is gay.  So please don't stress about whether or not it is true...  it is true!

Now that you know for sure he is gay you have to decide what YOU want.   From your post you say that you can't live like this.  Not only is he cheating on you, but he is endangering your life from the STD's he will get from gay sex .. not to mention the Covid issues.  So you seem settled on the fact that you don't want to be married to him any longer.  

Now.. how to exit. 
You say that you have a lawyer..  start working on the exit plan with your lawyer.  Start collecting financial documents, understand your state's divorce laws, get a picture of what your financial situation will look like through the divorce and work out a plan.   Unless you are in physical danger, don't leave in the night.  Plan your legal "attack" and keep it all secret from him.  When the time is right you can file and have your attorney put safety motions in place to protect you physically and financially.  I wouldn't hire a private investigator unless your attorney says it will be helpful or important for your case.  I found personally that seeing the evidence was much more hurtful than simply assuming it to be true.  I already knew.. but having proof hurt so much more.  
See your psychologist (online for now) and have them help you with the upcoming change in your life. 

Just my advice on all of this of course. 

Please stick around and continue talking.  We are here for you. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

April 23, 2020 10:31 am  #7

Phoenix, my advice was based on this: "I have a psychologist, lawyer, family and friends that know about this. I feel fully supported, I have a place to go which I am grateful for."
I assumed her exit plan was formulated--which would include researching divorce laws where she lives and copying the financials--and she was wondering about the timing for putting it in place: before or after telling him she was leaving and why.

April 23, 2020 10:33 am  #8

Wow, thank you to everyone that wrote on this thread. I feel that you've all given me great insight and advice. It's just the most amazing forum and network.
So, I am going to be organizing, packing and getting all my ducks in a row in the next week or so. I do believe this is the end and there is no turning back.
This marriage has been like a slow, agonizing death, especially now  to find out about the lies and deception. Wow, isn't it shocking to find out you are married to a reckless and devious person like this?!
Miraculously I feel full of hope and dreams and am actually very excited about my new life. I'll be moving in with my daughter who lives alone and this will be the most loving, supportive place I could possibly land.
I tend to agree with you Phoenix, that hearing or seeing what my husband is actually doing would be quite traumatic. I'll take your advice and pass on investigating any further. Thank you for that and I'm so sorry for everything you went through.
Without the tracker I put on his car, who knows how much more time I would have wasted with this man? Yes, it is a violation of his privacy but when you're dealing with a liar and a cheat you've got to ramp up your surveillance and outsmart them. There was actual relief in finding out just what he is up to (I'm not going crazy!!) and empowering to have this knowledge.
Stay strong and healthy everyone. I pray that you are all safe and healing from these devastating experiences. 
Thank you again for your support, I will keep you posted on the progress of my new beginnings.
Blessings to you all,
Angela

April 23, 2020 11:00 am  #9

Many people are reorganizing now and boxing and bagging what they want to get rid of when things reopen. You may be able to use this to your advantage by packing items you want to take with you into garbage bags and cardboard cartons so that they are ready to go when you leave.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

April 23, 2020 11:37 am  #10

Another thing if you haven’t considered it is to take the bare minimum when you move out - a shopping bag or a large tote bag. Leave the rest behind.

He may confront you if he sees you loading boxes into a car. 

When the divorce is in process, get your items then. He would be breaking the law to not return your personal property.

I agree with Abby on looking at websites for or calling Domestic Violence organizations. They can give you many pointers.

Lastly, he may have installed tracking devices on your laptop and phone. Domestic violence organizations can give you resources on how to disable them. Your ISP can help you too. This may not be the case, but good to check. (You may have done this already on your own. Sorry if this is superfluous information.)

Good luck and please keep in touch. Want to make sure you left safely!!

Last edited by MJM017 (April 23, 2020 12:10 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

Board footera