OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 12, 2020 7:56 am  #41

Re: I'm lost and don't know what to do or think.

Deleted

Last edited by JenS (April 27, 2020 8:03 pm)

April 12, 2020 5:54 pm  #42

Rob.
Thank you for writing and explaining what the verse means to you. I do have hope that things will be revealed to me. That I will know for sure, either with assurances within myself, or by a confession from him. This has been a very trying time and I have found words of encouragement in scripture. One of my favorites has been the one that you share with each post. I don't understand why I am gong through this right now. I don't know why I've suddenly come to grips with this now when before, I either looked the other way or brushed it aside, but now I can't.

Thank you for your reassuring words of comfort. Thank you for the hope that God sees me, and wants me to have hope.

I am sorry for what you have been through. No one deserves that.

April 12, 2020 6:15 pm  #43

JenS,
Thank you for posting. I looked up the book, Too Good to Leave, Too Bad to Stay on Google Books because they seem to have extensive samples. I could never purchase or have a book with that title in my home. He would lose it and there is no way I could hide it.  I appreciate you suggesting it to me though. I read a bit of it and it seems very insightful and guiding. I plan on reading more. 

Thank you for sharing your story and the words of caution. I have hope that I will have a better future. I feel like my eyes have been opened to so much that I can't deny but I still need time to grow in courage and wisdom and we will have an empty nest in 2 years and I'd rather wait until then, if I am going to leave or confront him with anything. It sounds like a rough road. I can't imagine how excruciating it must've been. I am sure the strength and courage that is required is more than I can imagine. 

You are very accurate in what you said about my male friend. It was like a blindfold had been taken off my eyes and I saw my life completely different. I had been so naive before. Yes, I am very thankful to have my eyes opened at this time instead of much later. One thing I keep thinking during this time, is that I don't want to get to the end of my life and think, I lived my life for him, we worked together to make him great, because currently that is what it feels like.

Was your husband angry often or brooding? It seems as if my husband is constantly in his head. Constantly going over things in his mind that cause him to be angry. When he cuts the grass, I can watch him, and I see him thinking and going over things in his mind, and when he's finished, he's in a bad mood.

A story that explains what life is like in our house:
My husband was cutting grass and the kids (19 and 16) wanted to drive to a nearby lake and asked me if I wanted to go with them. I said I would but I was worried that their father would get upset. I said, "I feel like you guys can go, and he'd be fine with it, but if I go with you, he will feel like we are leaving him out, and his feelings will be hurt." My daughter said, I don't think he will, then my son said, "no she's right, he would." So then we decided that we would ask him, if it was ok. We were in the garage and about to go to the front yard and ask him, when my daughter said "Ok, who is going to ask him?" Everyone looked at me and then they could tell that I didn't want to. My son said that he would because it was his idea to drive to the lake. We approached my husband and my son nervously asked him, looking to me for encouragement. In that moment, I thought...this is not normal! Why are we making such a big deal over this? Why do we have to ask if we can go to the lake w out him, its only about 20 min away? Why did we have that discussion beforehand about who was going to ask him? It's things like that scenario that I suddenly realize that there are strange/unhealthy aspects to our relationship. My husband is not physically abusive. Why do we act like he is?
I just feel like I am just now realizing and noticing all these things. Im putting all the pieces together. It's bizarre because he is a nice person when he chooses to be. I don't understand it all.

Thank you all for your responses. Thank you for holding my hand through this dark path.

Last edited by Karis (April 12, 2020 6:17 pm)

April 13, 2020 1:08 am  #44

JenS, delighted to hear you have managed to separate, he was incredibly difficult I remember that.

Karis.  I am glad he isn't physically abusive but psychological abuse can be really bad too.  I listened to a group of professionals in the field discussing the subject of domestic violence on the tv and they were saying that the women who suffered physical abuse often said it was the psychological abuse that hurt worst.

You know, I realised something.  I was looking at a bisexual woman in her 70's, all dolled up and looking very elegant and oh yes she was flirting with the men.  And I am thinking why is she doing it, what does she get out of it now?  I mean she's too old to want a family and too rich and socially well connected to want a consort, what's she doing it for now, why not flirt with the ladies?

And that's when it struck me she is getting something out of it, she is getting their admiration.  She is getting it on the cheap but inherently it is still what it is.

The feeling of being admired is good isn't it.  

To me it is inconceivable that I would want to incite that admiration without reciprocation respect and honesty involved but people are the way they are and as the saying goes you can't ask a leopard to change it's spots.  For many of us family is backbone, of course we don't contemplate divorce willingly.  But it is not the same for everyone for some family or not, it isn't the people themselves at all, it is the flow of admiration that comes first.  

When I could no longer provide the admiration for my ex, when emotionally speaking I had retreated, but low in confidence and still caring for him, that's when psychological abuse ramped up.  I see that now as his response to the loss of admiration.  

The thing that really steeled me to it was the thought that I just didn't want my whole life to have been about him.  and really glad I left.  though I agree with Jen it isn't easy and no guarantees of a happy life to come, it's better without him.

April 20, 2020 10:46 am  #45

Lily,
This quote is very accurate and I feel like it is what I am going through right now.
"When I could no longer provide the admiration for my ex, when emotionally speaking I had retreated, but low in confidence and still caring for him, that's when psychological abuse ramped up.  I see that now as his response to the loss of admiration."
-K

April 20, 2020 8:18 pm  #46

yes, this stay at home is very difficult isn't it.  It's like these manipulative types have spidey senses that just know when their control is being breached, and you have your children in the middle of it.  I'm so sorry, it must be very difficult right now.

my suggestion is to centre yourself in a room that is your spot - either a spare room you can take over as your study or just the place that is naturally your domain, such as the kitchen might be.  Stay cool, be friendly with him but let yourself be a bit distracted, stay focused on your own thing.  

any family you can talk to would be great but if not the family pet might understand.

Hope that helps, good luck, Lily

April 21, 2020 10:14 am  #47

It is extremely difficult. I feel like I am losing my mind. I have been talking to some family, my mom and my sisters but they really can't understand what I am experiencing like the people on this board do. 

I like your idea of having a centering spot. Things between my husband and I have been pretty distant but honestly that's not that much different than the usual. He's been leaving his computer up a lot more often, without sleep turned on, I don't know why because Im pretty sure he changed his password on his computer. In some ways I feel like he wants me to check it, maybe its a trap. This is what I mean by the fact that Im losing my mind.
I checked his txt messages on his computer. If is a trap, I fell for it. I saw where he'd been messaging his gay friend. They txt a lot more than I thought they did. There wasn't anything sexual about the messages. My husband had sent him pics of some damage in our neighborhood from a recent storm. At one point his friend referenced an email that he had sent my husband, and apologized for it being heavy and how he longed to have a family and children of his own. I havent read the email. In some ways this seems like txt messages btwn close friends, in other ways it seems closer than that.

As I mentioned before, my husband knows that there is distance between us. Last night he suggested that we go on a date. You would think that this would alleviate any of my fears but it's basically just like grabbing food with a friend. We didn't touch the entire time. My husband still wants sex or he did, but as many have said before it seems like more of a release and is very mechanical. I felt like the only reason he made the effort for the date was because he prob wanted sex last night. We havent had sex for about a couple of weeks. I mentioned to him that I didnt want to have sex, just because of the date. He assured me that he just wanted to hang out and that he didnt do it for sex. Then he said, I know that sex is kind of different for us now for whatever reason, so Im ok with not doing it for now. At first I felt reassured. I havent wanted to have sex. I feel like a tool-sex without intimacy, but now Im wondering...is this the beginning of a sexless marriage for me? Like so many others on this board? Did he somehow spin this, so that it seems like its me that doesnt want sex? Which in some ways he's right but I dont know, its such a mind fuck and I swear I am losing it.

April 21, 2020 10:47 am  #48

Trying to figure them out can drive you around the bend, whether they're gaslighting you or not.  I call it "the pathology of the closet."  Living in one warps the occupant.

It appears to me as if your husband and his friend are engaged in the mating dance of two closeted gay men.  All that ballyhoo about wanting a family and children is an emotional appeal to your husband: care for me, succor me in my need, a need that I don't want to have but can't help.  And your husband hops to it: I share your pain, he says, I understand your need, I care for you, you can talk to me as I can talk to you.  I'm sure he'd say, if asked, "But I'm just helping him!"  Straight men invested in women other than their wives have used that excuse forever: "I'm just helping her!  She needs someone in her corner right now!"   Nobody texts or emails with someone as much as these two are without there being an emotional tie that goes beyond friendship.  If nothing else there's an emotional affair going on, and your husband's attention and time are being spent not on your needs or the needs of his family (nor is he seeking to have his needs met in the context of your marriage), but on this gay friend of his.  And he's letting you know this.  No wonder your husband is so glad not to have sex with you, and to manipulate you into a situation in which he can say it's you who doesn't want sex.  

Coronavirus lockdown has a limited shelf life.  We'll soon be able to move about and get on with our lives. When that happens, you are doomed to a sexless marriage only so long as you decide to stay in one. 

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (April 21, 2020 10:53 am)

April 21, 2020 4:11 pm  #49

Thank you for your message OoHC. Yes, it is maddening. It's hard when you aren't sure if you can trust that someone who you've shared life with for 22 years, is completely telling you the truth.

I do feel like he is coming on to my husband. I feel like my husband is either oblivious or in such deep denial. I do feel like its an emotional attachment/affair for sure. If he were having these texts/conversations with a woman, Im sure I would be furious.

I am definitely not going to pressure him for sex and it sounds like he isn't going to pressure me, so I guess we will just see how long this goes. I do hate that it seems like I'm the reason that we aren't having sex but oh well. At this point, I don't care.  Thank you for your thoughts and wisdom.

April 21, 2020 5:52 pm  #50

when you say your family doesn't understand that's one thing, but are they sympathetic to your distress?  what's their reaction, do they want to help?

My ex and I stopped having sex in our 40's - phew - and yes he blamed me for it, I had mutual friends telling me I should be more affectionate with him I should kiss him and yet when I tried he didn't like it one bit - eventually I realised what that means is he has been complaining to them.

ps - denial doesn't mean don't know it means not telling.  Married gay men are deep in denial with their wife and yet they sometimes have sex with other men - do you think those men are in denial with the men they are having sex with?

Board footera