OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 7, 2020 7:01 pm  #61

Re: Covid19/Coronavirus

Elle,

Self-isolating is really hard and messes with all of our minds. I am feeling lonely and pessimistic these past few days — like I won’t make friends, enjoy my life. Gloom & doom. It’s not true, but it’s natural. Especially since my sleep’s been disrupted lately.

Maybe the same with you & your non-straight h? Sex is not a chore assigned to you like washing the dishes. If those dirty dishes sit in the sink, anyone feels guilty.

Sex is different. You want to do it without guilt and with joy. 

Things will get better, but it takes patience riding out the sad thoughts & waiting until lockdown ends. Hope things are better!

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

June 16, 2020 9:04 am  #62

I'm feeling isolated, too.  

June 16, 2020 2:43 pm  #63

walkbymyself wrote:

What's up Walk? Talk to us....please One solitary 4 word sentence from you is worrying

In New Zealand...we had 24 days without any new cases of Covid19. Then....because of lax (disappointing) follow-up at the hotel where overseas visitors do their 14 day quarantine before being 'let free' in the country....2 women from the UK were allowed to leave after only 6 days (6..!!!) on compassionate grounds without being tested first. 
So now every traveller on every plane they were in from the UK has to be tracked down and tested. They drove to my city but have anonymity. The whole country is angry as hell

KIA KAHA                       

June 16, 2020 4:12 pm  #64

yes I do not understand why they didn't get tested and kept in quarantine til the results were in.  Put a whole country at risk so they can attend a funeral?  doesn't make sense.  

I have broken sleep patterns too.  Horrible.  Hope it gets better soon.

June 16, 2020 5:58 pm  #65

There was a scandal in California in March where the rich and famous were getting tested while we the hoi polloi had no testing available.

I drove home from my parents house this am and there was traffic in some areas.. I saw nicely dressed people walking to work.

We are being allowed back to church services this week - 100 seats only for a church that holds 800 people.

I am taking naps during the day to compensate for middle of the night insomnia. It helps a lot.  One is not supposed to do that because it prolongs the problem. However, COVID is the problem. Out of my hands.

I am feeling very hopeful and optimistic today - like I used to before TGT. Hope it lasts.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

June 16, 2020 6:24 pm  #66

Thanks for the reply Elle.

It’s hard to explain where my hang ups are. I’m no longer sad about the slow death of my marriage, I feel quite separated from him emotionally. I sleep in my own room, try to avoid him, hate that we’re still forced into co-parenting on the three evenings he doesn’t work. I hate that he pretends to be happily married in front of the kids. If it weren’t for the kids I would have left. So many times.
I sometimes want to scream at him. Like when I have to deal with ongoing health scares each year because of the HPV I have because of him... so far I don’t have cervical cancer from it, but I’m almost 39 which is the age my mom was when she died of cancer, so it’s messed up that I have that in the back of my mind.
I also want to ask him if he’s happy that I made our fifth and youngest child. He loves her so much. But I remember the night I conceived her 7 years ago. He once again had been lying there with his eyes closed. I had said I really wanted sex. I was so lonely from being incredibly isolated while he was gone four days/nights a week and home “with a headache” the other three days. I would be at home, homeschooling and raising five kids and taking care of the farm, and so lonely for any affection from him. Anyways, he had said I could “jump on him if I wanted”. So he laid there with his eyes closed as I got on top and tried to just focus on how much I loved him in spite of him destroying my heart half a year earlier. I tried not to think about how excited he had been when I had told him about a horrible gross nightmare I’d had of giving a blow job to him and another man. I tried to focus on the fact that he must love me because he was always going to work to support me and our kids. Poor, naive, stupid me. But I get furious at how much he loves and enjoys that little girl, and how much she loves him, because he had NOTHING to do with conceiving her or raising her until the last year. But I won’t do anything to ruin that relationship for her. She deserves to feel loved by both parents.

I have no relatives who can help me get free. We were always the ones to help the relatives, but we don’t even own a house. I have just now received some money from unemployment which is pretty awesome. I’m going to save the money in a business account. It may be tough going once I open my business again, but if I manage to hold on to some savings I won’t be afraid of being so financially vulnerable during actual divorce proceedings at least.

My 18 yr old does not know her dad is gay/trans. I have talked with her about some stories here, and how heartbreaking it is when a spouse finds out their spouses is gay, and she sympathized with that. I feel like my daughter is so unstable with all of her anxiety/ extreme social isolation/ debilitating OCD, that she can’t handle knowing our marriage won’t last and I can’t tell her until I know for sure when it’s happening. Also I feel like he needs to not know yet but she would tell.  I HATE living in deception, but I need him to cooperate with moving closer to my work and getting the kids plugged into school and therapy and hobbies in town instead of being so isolated in this rural community. Right now we’re an hour from everything.

I’m sorry, whenever I get on here I seem to go on and on...  thanks for letting me talk.

June 16, 2020 6:25 pm  #67

lily wrote:

yes I do not understand why they didn't get tested and kept in quarantine til the results were in.  Put a whole country at risk so they can attend a funeral?  doesn't make sense.  

I have broken sleep patterns too.  Horrible.  Hope it gets better soon.

Actually it's been reported the relative had died and the exemption was so they could support 
another grieving relative. We are 5 million pissed off people! There goes our plans of an Aussie/NZ bubble

KIA KAHA                       

June 16, 2020 7:11 pm  #68

OneDayAtATime wrote:

I’m sorry, whenever I get on here I seem to go on and on... thanks for letting me talk.

Hah......no worries, that's what the Forum's for! 

Do you not think your 18 yo daughter has sensed your turmoil, and that even if you let her know a little more of the situation she would keep your confidence? You say he's pretending to be happily married in front of the kids but so are you, and things probably wont change/move on til you have a few more of your ducks lined up. 
You say you have HPV because of him so doesn't that put a red flag beside your name at your doctor's surgery? Your doctor sounds to me the best person to talk to...they will have you and your childrens best interests at heart surely!

KIA KAHA                       

June 16, 2020 7:59 pm  #69

Ellexoh_nz wrote:

OneDayAtATime wrote:

I’m sorry, whenever I get on here I seem to go on and on... thanks for letting me talk.

Hah......no worries, that's what the Forum's for! 

Do you not think your 18 yo daughter has sensed your turmoil, and that even if you let her know a little more of the situation she would keep your confidence? You say he's pretending to be happily married in front of the kids but so are you, and things probably wont change/move on til you have a few more of your ducks lined up. 
You say you have HPV because of him so doesn't that put a red flag beside your name at your doctor's surgery? Your doctor sounds to me the best person to talk to...they will have you and your childrens best interests at heart surely!

Yes, I think she knows something. She’s very smart, even if she is
very unstable... the other night she stayed awake all night fuming because her cousin who was visiting had killed a spider and hadn’t felt bad that my daughter was sad because of it. I have tried so hard her whole life and am still trying and taking her to appointments etc to help her. I think I need to let go of worrying about her choosing him over me or any of that, because she is going to need to find her own way. I have always loved her and done my best, and she knows that. She’s just so mad about several relatives divorcing lately, it’s like she’s threatening me not to.

The doctor was reassuring, even though I always have to call several times to get results. It’s just an added emotional burden to deal with each year. It can’t be passed to the kids, and it’s apparently very common. HPV is the main (only?) cause of cervical cancer. But I know I did not have it until my husband forced me into his weird abusive fantasy world.

Yes, we’re all pretending. He’s pretending to be straight and cis gendered. I’m pretending to not be mad. I can’t wait to live an honest life. I can’t even dance in my kitchen anymore because I don’t want him to come over and try to make it about him.

June 17, 2020 11:51 am  #70

Ellexoh_nz wrote:

walkbymyself wrote:

What's up Walk? Talk to us....please One solitary 4 word sentence from you is worrying

Hi Elle, I think I have my good days and my bad days.  Today is somewhere in the middle.  I haven't been on this forum as much as I used to, but in part it's because sometimes I'm reading and I just find myself triggered and enraged at what's being done to us.  I'd gotten a support order back in August and moved from our house in Los Angeles to an apartment in New York City that my husband had owned before we were married (this will ultimately be transferred to me as part of my buyout of our marital home).  I'd lived in NYC before we were married, and on balance when I looked over the range of options, it seemed best for me to come here and start over.

So I would have hoped to have had some opportunity to make new friends here, but of course we all got hit with the pandemic and we've been in lockdown.  I say I feel isolated ... but the funny thing is, everybody's in isolation right now.  So if it weren't for this pandemic, I would have been alone any way, the only difference now is that everyone is in it together.  

I've had some really bad days, but I finally got it together and started seeing a psychiatrist, who diagnosed me as suffering from extreme depression and PTSD.  This was actually the same diagnosis I'd gotten from a doctor in Los Angeles before I moved here.  So it's actually better because I'm taking antidepressants, and also something to help me sleep at night.  

But I think I should check in with everybody here more often!

Board footera