OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 8, 2020 12:42 pm  #1

Covid19/Coronavirus

The Forum has been very quiet.
And as if we haven't enough on our plates.....we now have the spread of this fast-moving virus... across most of the world it seems. NZ is a small country and so far we have just a few diagnosed cases

Stay safe everybody

KIA KAHA                       

March 8, 2020 4:51 pm  #2

Re: Covid19/Coronavirus

Am on the West Coast of the US. We have many cases of the virus and some who’ve passed away. I feel very badly for the people who this has affected.

It’s stopped me in my tracks in my quest towards meeting new people. There have been events cancelled & most people are working from home. I am taking it in stride and hoping the the spread ceases.

I have been working on helplessness. (TGT will happen again, cannot stop it, self-isolating - fighting this as much as possible with our quasi quarantine, shame, etc.) This underlies my fear of going forward in one word. This is my worst C-PTSD symptom from GIDXH. 

TGT scrambled my brains.  Lots of self-work and self-care (over 3 years) has somewhat unscrambled my brains.  This coronavirus scare would have upended my sense of self a year ago. This is great progress.

I hope all are doing well.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

March 8, 2020 7:21 pm  #3

MJM017 wrote:

Am on the West Coast of the US. We have many cases of the virus and some who’ve passed away. I feel very badly for the people who this has affected.....I hope all are doing well.

I'm very aware of the people I sit next to on the bus & train. Everybody should tie a hankerchief around their wrist to cough or sneeze into A month ago all this would have appeared surreal.

Went to see my counselor today...after a few months of not needing her...to move around the boxes of thoughts, feelings & progress I keep in my head. She asked what I needed to happen see a way out of the space I'm in and I told her I didn't know but that I'll know when it's time to move and where my place is in the world will be....

KIA KAHA                       

March 8, 2020 8:00 pm  #4

Yes, the virus is scary here on the East Coast, too.  

I went to my Dad's Assisted Living Facility today.  There were signs on the walls instructing visitors to please not come in if they had any symptoms at all.  My Dad's friend is in the nursing home across the parking lot (she fell and broke her hip and is convalescing there).  I wanted to visit and Dad said, "Don't go there, it's Germ City.". 

My neighbor stopped by today to give me reassurance about my move.  We decided not to hug and did an elbow bump instead. Perhaps that is the new hand-shake. 

I hope the bug is contained soon.  It is frightening.  

March 8, 2020 9:30 pm  #5

Leslie77 wrote:

We decided not to hug and did an elbow bump instead. Perhaps that is the new hand-shake. 

Same re the forearm bump = handshake

I hope it catches on (if that's too bad taste....tell me and I'll delete it)

KIA KAHA                       

March 13, 2020 8:52 pm  #6

I had a worrying thought. If my partner and I have to self-isolate (can't see it happening but you never know right?) 

...it would mean at least 14 days at home together. 24/7. Yikes!

KIA KAHA                       

March 19, 2020 11:15 pm  #7

I am about two months into my process and having a really hard time with anxiety about COVID-19 and the overall isolation during what is already a really difficult time for me. I am staying with my parents during our travel advisory to avoid having to self-isolate with my soon to be ex husband. I am in a confused state where I still find myself missing him and wishing I could go over there, though.

Also-I am new here--what does TGT stand for?

March 20, 2020 1:40 am  #8

Stefanie wrote:

I am about two months into my process and having a really hard time with anxiety about COVID-19 and the overall isolation during what is already a really difficult time for me. I am staying with my parents during our travel advisory to avoid having to self-isolate with my soon to be ex husband. I am in a confused state where I still find myself missing him and wishing I could go over there, though.
Also-I am new here--what does TGT stand for?

TGT...The Gay Thing. On the General board (this one) there are 3 'pinned' threads....ie: always there.....one is a First Aid Kit, and the 2nd is Forum Jargon where you find the meanings of many acronyms used here. 

And welcome Stefanie. Yip this virus has turned the world upside down and if you are just beginning a straightspouse journey you must be thinking wtf..!!!
You're so lucky to be living with people who care for you. Travel advisory?

KIA KAHA                       

March 20, 2020 12:37 pm  #9

I could not imagine being isolated with my GX.  My prayers go out to anyone having to go through this at the present time.  There are so many perils in the world but our spouses had to go and create their own and drag us into it.

It is a season, a valley, it is not a place where we will be forever.

Sincere safe ehugs.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

March 20, 2020 5:29 pm  #10

Rob wrote:

It is a season, a valley, it is not a place where we will be forever.
Sincere safe ehugs.

Cheers Rob Hugs back

Last edited by Ellexoh_nz (March 20, 2020 5:30 pm)

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera