OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 16, 2020 4:50 am  #1

Poppers/Alkyl Nitrates- Do You Suspect Your Gay Partner Used These?

I only heard of these in college from people joking about gays using them. They were otc then. I never would have heard of them otherwise. 

Poppers are street slang for alkyl nitrates. They were marketed for relief from chest pains in the 1960s by relaxing muscles & increasing blood flow. Graphic warning: gay men use them to relax muscles near the anus for sex. Here’s more info about it: https://sdtreatmentcenter.com/drug-treatment/poppers-neurotoxic/ (Am not affiliated. This site had the best written information on it.)

Part of me feels guilty that my GIDXH passed away so soon after our divorce.  He was a healthy person when we married. 7 years into our marriage, he developed deep vein thrombosis.  I discovered it because he developed prominent varicose veins suddenly. He had a large red and painful bump protruding from one of the veins.  It was a large blood clot.  He had a thorough examination in the hospital while taking meds to dissolve the clot. All was ok.
He was under age 40.

His health took an unexpected nosedive a year later - he had serious heart and circulatory problems which got inexplicably worse despite close monitoring and care by MDs.

I suspect he caused his own health issues  & death by abusing poppers.

Last edited by MJM017 (February 16, 2020 5:12 am)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

February 16, 2020 11:05 am  #2

Re: Poppers/Alkyl Nitrates- Do You Suspect Your Gay Partner Used These?

I found my husband's hidden stash of sex toys (in the trunk of his car) and there was a vial of something called "Jungle Juice" in there.  I asked a gay friend about it, and it sounds like some version of what you're describing (I looked at the link you posted).  In 2016 (before I knew what was going on), my husband started passing blood in his urine, and his doctor took him off all medications that could cause liver damage, and he had to stop drinking (briefly).  They monitored his liver for a while, and after a while decided that he didn't have "permanent" liver damage.  So now he's back on whatever meds he was taking, and drinking his usual excessive amount.  When I found the "Jungle Juice" I did wonder whether something in that had caused the liver damage.

That was then, of course and this is now.  Now if he gets liver damage, as far as I'm concerned he worked long and hard to earn it.

February 16, 2020 12:55 pm  #3

Re: Poppers/Alkyl Nitrates- Do You Suspect Your Gay Partner Used These?

Illicit drugs meant for partying have cute names which obscure what they really are.   These types of drugs are everywhere in the gay community.

It seems to help them do the deed while numbing their minds and destroying their bodies.

It also causes aggression and violence which explains a lot of what happened to me.

What normal person wants to have anything to do with illicit drugs, self-destruction and criminal life styles? It’s disgusting. I am so happy he passed away.  God knows what kind of criminals this low-life brought into our home while I was away at work.

Be happy he is out of your life. What scourges these people are.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

Board footera