OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 15, 2020 9:33 pm  #1

Evening of February 15 2020

I think the evenings are the best and the worst times of the day. Let me explain. The best time of the day because I do not have to see or hear my husband. I am in my bedroom which I use to love more than I do now. I still love it because it is the only place in this house that I feel is MINE and only mine but It is a reminder of how sad my reality is because this small room is the only thing that I feel is truly mine. It is the worst itme of the day because it is the true realization of the silence that fills my life. I lay in my bed alone each night. It would be ONE thing if it was alone in my bed because i was literally alone in my house. (I say that now maybe it is worse if I was) but to me true lonliness is NOT being alone but feeling alone or having to be alone when you are not alone in your home. So it is another night as it has been the last year where it is me in my room at night watching netflix. Alone. This weekend I treated myself to some wine for valentines day a gift to myself because it is the only gift I got. But I dont have anyone to text, anyone to talk to, I dont have anyone to communicate with. I have people who I could message but I am tired of always being the one to reach out to someone when it would be nice if someone in my life who is aware of what my reality is now would touch base with me. So, the evenings are definitely a bitter sweet time of day

February 15, 2020 9:51 pm  #2

Re: Evening of February 15 2020

I hear you! I am in the process of making my bedroom "mine" again -- repainting, redecorating, and changing things up so that it reflects me and no longer has any connections to my ex. I'm slowly trying to do that with my entire house.

I suffered years of loneliness when sleeping next to a wife who had no interest or desire in me. Lying alone, together, is what I used to think of it. I was married, sleeping in a bed with my wife, and lonely beyond measure. I'm less alone now that she has moved out if that makes any sense.

I treated myself on Valentine's Day to a meal of food that I am not supposed to be eating. A big juicy burger! I felt rather empty while I ate it though. I didn't get the warm, fuzzy feelings I was looking for. I just felt like this would be how many extra hours of exercise to deal with all those carbs! :-)

I have made myself super busy to counter the loneliness. I spend my days from 5:00am to midnight filling my schedule as much as possible. Idle time is the most difficult for me. I've gotten so many projects done it isn't funny! My house is always clean, the laundry is always done, dishes are always clean. I'm so on top of things! But I get tired, too. I want to take some time off to just relax but that time often brings me down and the blues kick in.

As for the blues, I spend my time writing music to work through those times. I have written more stuff in horrible minor keys than I ever could imagine! :-) But that's simply a reflection of where my heart is at these days. Soon, I hope to hear major keys take over again as brighter days are ahead for me I'm sure.

February 15, 2020 10:12 pm  #3

A bedroom is all I have left.  Lost my marriage, home, and career due to the stress related to living with my longtime gay-in-denial and soon to be ex-wife.  

I have no income and no prospects.  

It is a truly depressing situation.  People keep saying it will get better but without a career and income, I don't honestly know how.  I'm 47.  I have to completely start over?  

Yes.

A few months ago, I tracked down some magic mushrooms on craigslist and for awhile, I felt like I could get through this.  However, even magic mushrooms aren't working anymore.  

Stress, anxiety and a lot of self doubt is all I have left after living through my wife's narcissistic emotional abuse.

February 15, 2020 10:22 pm  #4

Kudos to you both on Valentines day for some well deserved self care.     

Valentines day for me is much better now  because   I do not have to worry about getting my GX something..
When I was married there was no gift I could give her;  flowers, candy, jewelry  on Valentines day  (other holidays also)   that was good enough..   nothing was ever enough.  She was never happy  with what I got her...or if she was mildly happy with it  I was so relieved to hot have to face the anger and or nasty comments..  The stress she caused me with gifts  I do not miss.

StraightSpouse,

Alone is ok..    I know it feels terrible but  your bedroom sounds like my "safe spot" I had in the basement.    A safe place is very important...even it you're alone..  You're alone, for now.   You may  not have many people to text,  for now.     I would sit and read the psalms, watch hallmark movies with heterosexual relationships..     Alone is so much better than being with an abusive spouse  or a fake, covert spouse.

A sincere ehug to you,  prayers and thought of stoic strength and comfort.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

February 15, 2020 10:24 pm  #5

Davin:
I was going to get chinese food for myself for Valentines Day because my husband took our daughter out for dinner for Valentines Day but i just drank wine took a bath and tried to pretend that my day wasnt hell. 
I try to fill my days with what I can as well. I only work part time since having my daughter six years ago. Another reason I think I was groomed to have this all come to surface with my husband but thats another story. So, I work part time, she is in school and I also am involved with local politics and veteran charity work, trying to work with a few others to start a veteran charity locally. But, nothing has the luster as it did when I had the support system of my spouse. Or, even thought he hated going to my events I at least had someone to go with and now i go alone all the time so I am sure they are starting to wonder. 

February 15, 2020 10:29 pm  #6

Married to Denial:
I am kind of envious of the magic mushrooms. 

I get the whole starting over fear. I went from FT to PT when I had my daughter six years ago because my husband didnt want me to work while she was young especially not in school but now it goes from now how do i find a full time job that works around his schedule with day care I have been at my job 18 years so i dont want to leave but there is not FT work. Why do I HAVE TO change EVERYTHING about my life because MY husband wants to be a girl? Doesnt seem fair that he gets to be happy while I am miserable and have to learn to change everything I have known for two decades. 
My husband is narcisstic too

February 15, 2020 10:41 pm  #7

SS1979- The mushrooms are helpful.  I don't want to suggest otherwise.  

For years, while trapped in my marriage, I would ideate suicide by muttering under my breath 'I'm going to kill myself.'  Many times per day.  For years.

It would be triggered by anything that reminded me that I was disatisfied with my relationship with my narcissistic and emotionally abusive GID wife.  It could even be that a nice woman smiled at me while giving me change at a checkout.  'I'm going to kill myself.'

I never got close to actual suicide, but that kind of negative mental loop was severely destructive. 

The mushrooms did help me get out of that loop initially.  But after a few months, the anxiety was back (no paycheck and staying in a single room is not very healthy, apparently), and I tried the mushrooms again.  Even while under the influence, I found myself saying 'I'm going to kill myself.'

So...  there is that.  

February 16, 2020 11:26 am  #8

I found it was easier to endure Valentine's Day without a husband, than have to go through the motions with a husband.  I had a refreshing surprise -- a childhood best friend I'd recently re-connected with on Facebook contacted me because she was going to be visiting her kids near me.  So she said "I don't suppose you're actually free on Valentine's Day for dinner?" and I burst out laughing.  I told her it was the best Valentine's Day offer I'd had in decades.

February 16, 2020 11:41 am  #9

wbm 
Yeah that sounds like a good offer. I would have taken that type of offer up myself rather than locked in my bedroom in the house shared with someone I use to know or living with the grief of a lost spouse while living with a complete stranger who creeps you out. 

Board footera