OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2020 11:53 pm  #1

I feel so lonely...

My husband told me today that he wants to fully transition into a woman and if he does not he does not see a life worth living. He has been hospitalized twice now due to suicidal ideations and he believe that conforming to masculinity is the trigger for these episodes. He started to tell me about a year ago that he had seen a therapist and she had diagnosed him with gender dysphoria (after one 50 minute session) but that he didn’t want to lose me or the life we had built over the last eight years. We lived seemingly normally for months and then his mental health really took a nosedive. He took time off of work for severe panic episodes and was prescribed multiple medications which snowballed into his first hospitalization. He felt forced to stay there and hated me immensely for “locking him away” even though he had stated while under the influence that he had plans to end his life. While in the hospital he received a diagnosis of borderline personality disorder that he has still not accepted. After leaving the hospital he asked for a separation and it was the hardest thing either of us had ever done so we felt that being together was the best way to recover so we started couples counseling and things seemed to be on the mend. He was back to work, our sex life was as it had always been, he was compliant with medication, etc.  I am completely in shock and I know I shouldn’t be as he had hinted to this in the past but there were no other signs that I or anyone else had seen visibly. He said in an ideal world we would stay married and raise a family the only change would be he would be a woman but he understands that I cannot change my sexual orientation anymore than he can. I am scared that I will not be strong enough to leave, even though I want to be able to move on with my life. I want to be off of this rollercoaster.

January 29, 2020 4:35 am  #2

Re: I feel so lonely...

You answered your own question - "I cannot change my sexual orientation" and "I want to be off this roller coaster."

When he asked for a separation do you think he did it thinking that it was best for both of you or because he thought it was best for you?

If he was thinking you might still have a family it sounds like you might be relatively young.  Letting him go to be his 'authentic self' might be the best outcome for both of you. Still... a huge shock and a big adjustment.

You have a future. A good one. It begins as a flicker of hope. Nurture it until it becomes a dream and when you are strong enough you will make it a reality. NEVER give up. 

January 29, 2020 5:44 am  #3

He said he wanted the separation to see if we could handle being alone and he said he couldn’t. So I am just scared that he will potentially walk this back again and I will take him knowing it’s only temporary until this comes up again.

January 29, 2020 5:59 am  #4

It seems to be my theme of the day but I would recommend that you slow everything down.  Just sit with this new piece of information a while.   You will experience a lot of emotions in the coming days and weeks. Now is probably not the time to make quick or rash decisions.  He should return the favour by also not moving too quickly.

Don't let him put pressure on you either like "Promise me you'll stay."  He has moved the goal posts... big time... you are under no obligation to stay.

Slow down, breathe, take one day at a time, let the feelings settle.  When the time is right plan a way forward with or without him.

You have a future. A good one. It begins as a flicker of hope. Nurture it until it becomes a dream and when you are strong enough you will make it a reality. NEVER give up. 

January 29, 2020 7:49 am  #5

I was married to a man who after 32 years of marriage developed gender dysphoria (he wanted an orchiectomy--to have his testicles removed--and to take cross-sex hormones), and who although not suicidal was volatile in his moods.  He'd also been treated for anxiety and depression (he was on medication), and for years had had vague health complaints that took him from doctor to doctor: headaches, something that resembled but wasn't fibromyalgia.  He decided he was "a woman in a man's body" but as he talked about himself he revealed he had "many woman inside" him, as well as a few men.  So I know something of what you're going through.   I also have a niece who last year was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder; she was a cutter for three years, and then began threatening suicide, so over the last 18 months she has bounced from mental facility to mental facility.  Her most recent hospitalization is the result of her threat to murder her mother. 
   Here's what these two experiences have told me: 1) your husband needs to figure out who he is on his own.  You can't "help" him sort it out and you can't "help" him become a woman.  What will happen to you is that you will get dragged, guilted, manipulated, and threatened along on his journey down the rabbit hole.  For you it will be like a trip to the theme park from hell, where even the roller coaster feels like it's taking place in the funhouse, where all the mirrors are distorted.  2) those with borderline personality disorder have a particularly challenging road to mental health, they can't get well unless they accept the diagnosis and work hard with a therapist, and they put their families through hell, while expecting everyone to treat them as if they are the special ones.  It doesn't sound as if your partner is willing to do that work, and he has already upended your marriage.
   In the interests of your own mental health, I urge you to listen to your own instincts: you know you can't change your sexual orientation to become the faux lesbian wife of a "transbian" (a trans-identified male who believes he's a lesbian), and you want off the roller coaster.  A marriage of one is not a marriage, and your husband is not available to be a partner, as his many, many mental issues make it impossible for him to be a reciprocating partner.  You can't carry the marriage alone, and a marriage in which one partner is doing all the accommodating and constantly responding to the other's latest crisis is not a marriage--or any way to live.  
  Your partner says "in an ideal world we would stay married and raise a family"--well, this isn't an ideal world, he isn't living in the real world, and there are consequences for one's actions.  When you tell your wife that you no longer want to be her husband, you've broken the marriage contract.  And, by the way, how is it that your husband thinks you will raise a family if he plans to become a woman?  By immaculate conception?

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (January 29, 2020 7:54 am)

January 29, 2020 10:28 am  #6

He suggested that he was willing to bank his sperm for the future and that he was prepared to fulfill his commitment to be loyal to me as a spouse which he has done thus far. It’s just hard to know if the mental health issues are the root cause, as BPD presents with a constant changing sense of self, or if they are being brought on by the stress of having to keep this secret but I’m not sure if it matters much at this point. I think I know what I have to do but I’m just not sure how to do it. We have grown up together and I feel like I am losing my best friend.

January 29, 2020 12:45 pm  #7

Hi Whereisup,

I have a family member diagnosed with borderline personality disorder.  They don’t want talk therapy (Dialectical Behavior Therapy - DBT). They self-diagnosed with depression and take px psychotropic drugs. It takes the edge off the behavior, but it’s impossible to be near them due to unpredictable verbal & emotional abuse.

There is so much to consider for you. These things came seemingly out of the blue & are here to stay.  You can’t control someone’s life. That’s a lot of pressure for a marriage. 

A suggestion would be to go to a therapist to sort out what you want and how to proceed.  Also, does your spouse truly want kids? He really had to want, want them. Otherwise, your spouse may resent the child. No kid is happy when they intuitively feel unwanted.

(OOHC, as an aside, I have to laugh when you brought up the Immaculate Conception. I told my late GIDXH this many times when I pressed for kids.  I felt like a married nun.)

Good thoughts for  you and your spouse.

Last edited by MJM017 (January 29, 2020 12:59 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

January 29, 2020 12:52 pm  #8

There is more to raising a child then conceiving one. The journey your husband is on will take years - probably the rest of his life - and any child will know things are off and at times very upsetting.

I'm not saying that two men or two women (whether by birth or through transition) could not be loving and nurturing parents but rather that in any family where the time, money and energy revolve around one of the adult's issues it is not a good situation for a child growing up.

Some of us here on this board grew up in homes where the adults did not interact in healthy ways. Alcoholism, drug abuse, domestic violence and/or frequent and unexplained absences made us into caregivers and fixers. This made it was easy to fall into relationships with people whom others recognized as problematic. This is not to blame us for what we did but to illustrate that not having adults acting as responsible parents and letting us be children during our childhoods has had lasting consequences.

As an female senior citizen I must admit that I encourage young women and women approaching retirement to seriously consider leaving their marriages. For young women this is because female fertility has a time limit even with frozen sperm and with older women it is because women tend to outlive men, preservation of capital matters. Only you can decide what is appropriate for you.

You do not have to stop being his friend but with any friendship there need to be boundaries. Think of with a female best friend: you help each other through bad times and celebrate good ones but when there are no good times and she is in such a dark place that what she needs is professional help all you can do is encourage her to get it. For the sake of both of you, you have to stop trying to bail her out because non-swimmers can't save the one who's drowning.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

February 10, 2020 2:41 pm  #9

Just needed some words of encouragement. I have been feeling very sad and depressed about this whole situation I am in. I pray for some sort of guidance and answers but I know that’s not easy. I have pretty much isolated myself from everyone and everything that used to bring me joy. I feel nothing but hopelessness because I live with this man who has lied and cheated and refuses to admit the truth that he is gay. I can’t live like this. I just want out. I don’t go anywhere I don’t do anything I don’t talk to anyone. I have no commitment to this relationship only the two dogs.

February 10, 2020 9:29 pm  #10

HI Carolagatti,
Feelings of sadness, depression, wanting to be alone, are part of a normal, healthy process.  I have been "in this process" since May 2000, when he told me "I want to explore my homosexual feelings."   Last year, I finally committed to selling the house we had bought in 1987. Our son had been born in that house, so it was very very difficult for me to let it go.
Others on this site advised me to be kind to myself, and I am asking you to do likewise. It is okay to not have a commitment to the marriage: why should you, when you have been deceived for so long? 

Board footera