OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 6, 2020 8:15 am  #1

Three Month postmortem and My suggestions to anyone starting this...

It's been just over three months since my wife and I decided to divorce. Without a doubt it was the most painful experience I have been through. As time passes the the pain has slowly started to fade.

I just wanted to follow up on here and say thanks to everyone for their initial support that was needed at the beginning of this event. I want to follow up and write down where I'm at in hopes that maybe it helps someone else.

To summarize my situation. My wife and I were married for almost 16 years. During our entire marriage something felt like it was off, but only a little bit. After allowing ourselves to freely think and go through personal reflection and counseling we discovered that my wife was not bisexual as we initially thought, but rather completely homosexual. At which point we decided that it would be in our best interest in the long run to break up. This was particularly difficult because we were pair bonded and we still loved each other deeply. Just certina elements of the attraction were missing (both physical and mental).

The first couple weeks after the decision for divorce were the worst. It now feels a bit like a bad trama that you try to forget. I constantly had things like suicide on my mind and a never ending sense of loneliness and lack of purpose. I still had three boys I needed to take care of full time, which turns out was probably a helpful distraction.

Weeks 3 - 6 were still really rough. At this point she had fully moved in with her girlfriend and were physically intimate together. Going through those steps really severes the emotional connection you had with the person in that way. It hurts like a mother fucker.

Weeks 8 - 10 things started to feel like they were normalizing. I was really starting to focus on myself and my future as well as being there for my kids. I even started to consider what life might be like with someone else. My heart still hurt severely though. Just thinking over the lost love caused physical pain. This made me very leery of even considering loving anyone else in that way.

Weeks 11 - 13 are considerably better. I have been on a couple of dates. I think online dating sucks but sometimes it is a necessary evil (stay away from tinder) in order to maybe find someone. Interaction with my ex is still necessary and in most cases even welcome. We still love each other, but now the love is more of a familial love and not a romantic one. We both still have moments of pain when we remember some of the positive things that we did have, but we always come back to the conclusion that what we have done is for the best. She is actually very happy with her girlfriend and I am happy for them. There is still a slight element of feeling cheated on that I'm working on getting over, but for the most part I don't mind them being together now. I can tell that she is happy that she can live true to her nature, she doesn't flaunt her sexuality around but does not shy away from it in public either. 

Today I am in a pretty good place. There is a girl that i'm chatting with that is fun and bright. I'm in the best shape I have ever been in. I have even taken the time to invest in my understanding of what makes a good relationship and what does not.

Here are my suggestions to people who are just starting this journey:
1. This feeling is only temporary. Know that it is going to hurt and you need to do whatever it takes to get through it. Don't self destruct by coping with alcohol or drugs.
2. Know that suicide is also a normal feeling in this situation. Remember you do have value. Find a new purpose by investing in yourself.
3. Invest in yourself with some of the following
- Learn to be happy. See this video: https://youtu.be/ZizdB0TgAVM If you like it take the course. It really helps. I can't recommend this one enough.
- Learn to be a better partner and person. Here are some great channels for that
Jordan Peterson is an excellent critical thinker and walks people through difficult subjects. After I reach some of my goals I'm going to work to be more like him in conveying thoughts and message. See his page at https://www.youtube.com/user/JordanPetersonVideos/featured

Alexander Grace has an excellent page about becoming a high value man or women. It really shines the light on what the opposite sex is looking for and what you need to work on to be better. In addition it helps you see the red flags you need to look for when dating other people. See his page at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeY3vg1r0KrvuyPOi7T39eA

Georga Free (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu3m8kI80rCTg9UAqO0_0bA/videos) and Jennifer Molski (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt44YmXupeOjW8J02aEz77w) are also great for seeing the female perspective on being better people.

- Learn to manage your money and plan for your own retirement. Make sure you are never "stuck" in a bad relationship. Learn to financially depend on yourself. In addition to that make sure your future partner is financially dependent on themselves as well. You don't want anyone feeling "stuck" with you either.

- Go to the gym. You know how this works. Doesn't matter if you need to go there and just walk. Start the habit and build it up. Life will throw curve balls and break your gym routine. I advise you always make gym attendance your system default. Always return to it, it doesn't have to be intense and it helps in 99% of the cases out there. Don't talk yourself out of it with self justification. 

4. On hard days just remember that you don't have to process it all at once. Sometimes you have to take it hour by hour or minute by minute. Many times I struggled to even get out of bed. You can beat this.

5. There is someone out there for you. If love is your thing you can find it again. 

January 6, 2020 10:56 am  #2

Re: Three Month postmortem and My suggestions to anyone starting this...

Thank you for sharing such an excellent post! I'm going through the same process as we speak and it is hard.

I have dropped 27 pounds in the past 60 days. I am eating healthy and exercising six days a week. I am focused on my future, looking out the windshield and trying to forget about checking the rear view mirror. I am trying to be the best version of me that I can be each and every day, and looking to raise that bar daily.

One thing that has been working well for me is that I have been writing in a journal daily. I do this in the evening as I reflect on my day. It gives me an opportunity to let out all my feelings and emotions in my writing instead of blasting those around me with them and overwhelming them! I have been working through all the heartache, betrayal, despair, pain, and suffering that my wife's affair and the past six months has brought on me. I have also managed to unlock the keys to my long term battle with major depressive disorder to the point that I am no longer taking any kind of anti-depressant medications or going to therapy or counseling any longer. My therapist said that I am no longer in need of it as long as I continue with my self care which is predominantly my journal activities.  I've penned over 90,000 words in the past six months. Nothing is held back, I write freely whatever is on my mind. Nobody will ever read this journal but it is very therapeutic to get all this off my chest.

Financially things are going to be pretty tight for a while. We had amassed a significant amount of debt and I have to refinance the house to clear the debt and buy out my wife's equity share. My wife moves out in a few weeks and although I'm keeping the house, I get a significantly larger mortgage to deal with and a house with hardly any furniture. I told my kids that we are going to have a Zen house for awhile and we will experience a life of simplicity :-)

In my head I know that divorce is the right thing for both of us in the long term. My wife hasn't been in love with me for a long time so she is eager to move on to a new life without me, free and independent of me. I am still going through the process of trying to emotionally detach from her. We talked about reconciliation these past six months and I went all in for the process and found my flame for her rekindled. She, on the other hand, had no intentions of doing any of the hard work in the process and was just marking time until she felt she could break free. I made myself vulnerable and she broke my heart yet again.

Going forward, she will no longer have the opportunity to hurt me any more. Whatever she chooses to do in her life is her business and none of my own. My journal entries are filled with memes from Facebook -- things like "Don't chase the people who hurt you, replace them with people who love you" etc. They help me keep focused on the future.

Things do get better over time. I know that I will be in a much better place in a year from now. This process is always difficult and there is always a lot of pain suffered along the way. My daughter explained to me "Sometimes, Dad, some short term pain for long term gain is well worth it." I'm heeding her advice and looking forward with positivity!

Last edited by Davin (January 6, 2020 10:57 am)

January 6, 2020 11:45 am  #3

I am actively going through a separation and divorce process now. It is not easy for me. I realize that the life path I was on, one that was built around my wife, kids, family and future direction has to change. I realize that I didn't make one major decision for myself in our 20 year marriage. As far back as I can remember every major decision (job, moves, activities) were all made for her, the kids or family.

Rationally, objectively, logically I understand and know that time will need to pass in order for things to shake out. Emotionally its been tougher for me. I am not a negative person, nor live in a "other shoe to drop" kind of world. The hardest thing for me to deal with is the negative energy that is now in my life that I have to deal with.  Negative energy kills me so much.

She moves out in a little over a month and has been staying with her girlfriend more recently. Its easier when she isn't around or even having to call or text her to work through separation details.  Its hard to not constantly feel like I lived a lie when I look at or communicate with her. Yes, a normal feeling, more negativity and it stinks.

All I can do is focus on the now.

January 6, 2020 6:01 pm  #4

@Davin
You and I have a lot in common. Journaling helped a ton during this process. At the end, probably more than counseling. I also ended up with most all of the debt, but in a year I'll have it under control and paid off in three to five years (Her student debt). Like you, I have a massive mortgage. I could float the house but it makes more sense to downsize. 

@JoeC
I hear you. We all made a lot of big decisions just for our spouses or other people. That was one of the strangest feelings to start doing things for myself and what I wanted / thought was best for me.

Also it gets a lot better once they move out.

January 7, 2020 7:59 am  #5

Str8guy
Thanks for your post. A lot of good resources there.

All the best. 

ADSJ

Board footera