OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 23, 2019 11:45 am  #1

Embracing Absurdity

In my daily meditation for the day I came upon a profound quote in dealing with growth and transformation...

“We must embrace the absurd and go beyond everything we have ever known” - Janie Gustafson

Just saying that out loud is empowering: this  journey has been filed with absurdity for each of us - denial, trauma, cognitive dissonance in attempting to reconcile the past with the truth, the societal silencing of the straight spouse experience, etc., and then even in my experience the dissonance and absurdity  that my daughter is essentially exposed to lesbian culture 50%  of her childhood and how or if that will affect her view of men and relationships in adulthood. 

Just acknowledging that it is absurd, helps to face it and move on to decide what I’m going to do about it. 

To all here, I wish you the ability to accept the absurdity as you move on to a better life...

All the best,

ADSJ

December 23, 2019 2:18 pm  #2

Re: Embracing Absurdity

Thanks for posting this quote. You are exactly right about things.  This whole ordeal is absurd!!! 

Best wishes & Happy Holidays!!!

December 23, 2019 2:46 pm  #3

Yes,  it is not normal..no matter how much our gay spouses want us to think they are normal and we are the problem.   

I live in reality now ..my life is absurd only when dealing with my GX.   

Happy Holidays!

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 24, 2019 8:11 pm  #4

Thanks for the quote, straight dad.  It is absurd to discover you’re a beard without your permission. I found anger and resilience I didn’t know I had.

I hope you and everyone has a wonderful holiday season.  :-)

Last edited by MJM017 (December 24, 2019 8:28 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

January 2, 2020 9:54 am  #5

Thank you for that quote. It really is absurd what we deal with, isn't it. 

“And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain, when you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.” ~ Haruki Murakami ~

Board footera