OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 15, 2019 11:00 am  #1

Christmas Gift

I am taking my daughter out in a few minutes to have her choose a Christmas gift for her dad. I cannot even phathom getting a card that says daddy on it or the go to sign that has some dad reference on it because I know this sounds messed up but now that he has breasts and looks like a female I have a hard time even seeing him as a DAD anymore

December 15, 2019 11:29 pm  #2

Re: Christmas Gift

This is one of those times where I think God is looking down and sees the difference between wrong and right.

Your daughter needs you now more than ever. 

Get that card and present.  Let her and him know that a kid needs real reality.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 16, 2019 1:23 pm  #3

I got a table top game that they can play together. I will just have her make him a card or something like color him a picture and sign her name. i still cant bring myself to get him a card that says DAD because he has no qualities to me anymore of a dad. 

December 16, 2019 1:38 pm  #4

StraightSpouse1979 wrote:

...... i still cant bring myself to get him a card that says DAD.......

What does your daughter think she should call him?

KIA KAHA                       

December 16, 2019 2:05 pm  #5

She is only 5 (turning 6 in February) so i dont know if at this point she notices too much of a difference. I mean obviously he looks way different than he did even a year or so ago but she still calls him dad. He doesnt wear like dresses or high heels, most of his definition of a female is in his foundation and boobs or undergarments but she has said things like here is a nice bra for you to wear as she was rooting through his dresser drawers and I can see your boobies so she is starting to notice features that eventually she is going to know is a female trait not a male trait. But for now its still daddy which is fine because I dont want to take that from her it is just ME i cant bring myself to even see him as a father anymore and he sure as hell isnt mommy number two so I am in this personal limbo stage with him

December 16, 2019 7:47 pm  #6

She is only 5 (turning 6 in February)........

Most children are like sponges, and very receptive to change. Maybe suggesting 
she call her father by his christian name from now on.
SS..!! this must be so heartbreaking for you

KIA KAHA                       

December 16, 2019 10:37 pm  #7

I got a table top game that they can play together. I will just have her make him a card or something like color him a picture and sign her name. i still cant bring myself to get him a card that says DAD because he has no qualities to me anymore of a dad. 

That sounds like a good suggestion for the hand drawn card with your little one’s name on it.  I enjoyed doing that in kindergarten for my mom.  Am sure she will, too.

Am sorry but have no words for that dad. I remember feeling numb the last Xmas my late GIDX & I were married. He forced the narrative of us being a happy, loving couple.

Hugs to you & your little one. I know it’s not easy.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

December 21, 2019 10:11 am  #8

If I were in your situation, I would NOT be okay with having to share the name "Mommy" with someone else.  I'd want him to figure out how he's going to handle the name situation, because the name "Mommy" is already taken.

I'm not feeling particularly charitable at the moment.  So you don't need to follow any of my suggestions for what to respond to him, because some of them are likely to be anatomically impossible.

December 22, 2019 10:36 am  #9

StraightSpouse1979
I'm pasting in something below just for you; it's on those of us partnered to trans"women", by"a transwidow".As ever at this time of the year our thoughts turn to the women who still feel trapped in these relationships.
Unable to get out of the insidious drip, drip, drip cycle of compromise and boundary pushing. #transwidows The women who feel pressured into accepting the unacceptable for fear of what society will think of them if they leave. The women who stay to keep a lid on the secret which will blow their family apart. Worn down by being the secret keeper. The women spending Christmas Day pretending everything is OK whilst with every fibre of their being wishing they were somewhere else. The women continuing to do all the wife work, and more, while their “other half” escapes into feminine stereotypes and appropriates their oppression. The women forced into sexual practices that they are not comfortable with, by a partner who claims to want to be submissive but is still calling all the shots. (Really this is shockingly common). The women desperate to keep their children innocent and their lives stable and to protect them from bullying. The women trying to make the best of Christmas for their children with hardly any money to spend, because it’s been spent by somebody else on clothes, wigs, make up, nights out. The women who have made the decision to leave and who know that this is the last Christmas they will spend with the man who they married in good faith and who fathered their children. The women who fear being called bitter and transphobic and being shunned by their friends and family because they find themselves unable to tolerate the intolerable. So to people who criticise #transwidows for leaving and to others who criticise them for not leaving sooner- have a think about how you would feel in their place. And to women who feel trapped in these relationships. There is hope. There is a life on the other side free from being a bit part player in somebody else’s fantasy Solidarity sisters ✊🏽
#transwidows And finally, spare a thought for those women in the most insidious position- those whose husbands have become well known transexual feminist “allies” lauded as stunning and brave by the very women who should be centring the wife. #transwidows 

Board footera