OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 31, 2019 10:51 pm  #11

Re: Draw the line!

Oh, that's two half finished replies I have lost now.  Goodness.  anyway, so all I can think about now is how I would like some food before the day gets much older.  but I have not given up, I will be back, it's all your fault, you know that don't you Dutchman, your post is so long I run out of wind and then time to reply and then the bit I've done so far is gone when I come back to it - well that bit's my fault of course.

okay that's better, back with a coffee..

yes, no, my grandmother's church was not the one you talked about, it was in Hampstead Heath.  A lot about healing through prayer and being positive in hoping for peace (it was between the wars).  My mother joined up with her parents, she was 14.  It had a huge impact on our lives.  Well religion does that, doesn't it - it affects everything you think.  I lost my faith in religion altogether in my 40's.  It was unbelievably painful at the time but I think it helped me come to see I was in a MOM and being gaslighted.

I am still gay friendly, I have never viewed it as a sin.  It's just the way you're born.   I agree, your view of bringing it out into the open - the gay spouse who is within a marriage - is unusual, for everyone really but I am the same as are many here on this forum.

I do not believe being open about it will mean less MOMs though.  I have heard several young men and women say things along the line of 'if I admit I am gay then the straights won't want to date me'.  IMO the MOMs will only stop when there aren't any straights left to date.

But I still think it's better to have it out in the open - it was better for me once I knew.  I went into shock, for the first three weeks I had hour long showers and then one which lasted an hour and a half, and as I was drying off I felt like either I was going to start vomiting or I was going to start crying and it was touch and go but then I started crying and it was better from then on.

I am going to post this now so I don't make it three strikes.  I will continue to answer your post in a fresh box...

January 1, 2020 1:45 pm  #12

okay so sexual orientation.  yes I do see it as being simple, as black and white as magnetic poles.  There it is, at the heart of mating behaviour.  Imagine if you were switched to same sex attraction - it's going to be profoundly different isn't it.  The conclusion I have reached is that for many people with that physical same sex attraction, they still have the emotionality to form a bond with a member of the opposite sex - and this is how they have a family.

To me the term bisexual is a misnomer because it implies physical attraction to both sexes.  there is a saying - bi now gay later.  Lots of stories of bi going gay not one of bi going straight.  Just like it does with the rest of us, the physical orientation remains stable.  It is the emotionality that shifts.

all the best, Dutchman, this is not easy for any of us.

Last edited by lily (January 1, 2020 1:47 pm)

January 1, 2020 7:51 pm  #13

I'm sorry my posts were so long, it's hard to trim down for so much happens in fifteen years, I'll try to keep it in more manageable chunks... (if possible...)

I was brought up without religion, actually I was a somewhat activist atheist. So against all odds I started believing, just reading the bible. 
Loosing faith in "religion" I surely can imagine, loosing faith in God would be something very different to me. I'm critical towards tradition (like in "things people say/have said, faith should be"). Some of these traditional thoughts could be right and some may very well not be. But ah, if I went on writing about this, my posts would only get a lot longer...

Religion can do harm, like the blunt "homosexuality is a sin" statement. But faith can be a strong and liberating force in life, as in a strive to do good, not because of imposed rules, but something that's freely from the heart and mind. When this applies to both spouses, it really can make a difference in the way you handle a MOM. Not only concerning the "sin" aspect of homosexuality, but broader how one makes decisions in life. Still it's an enormous challenge to deal with, with the same emotions, feelings and troubles as anybody has.

I do not believe being open about it will mean less MOMs though.  I have heard several young men and women say things along the line of 'if I admit I am gay then the straights won't want to date me'.  IMO the MOMs will only stop when there aren't any straights left to date.

Recently my wife and I evaluated our life's history. We love each other, would surely choose each other as a person, but 20 years into marriage TGT happened to us. It's like unfair this should blow up our love and intentions. I thought... as a theory... lets suppose we started dating 15 years ago (but than with she and I knowing she was lesbian). Would we still marry than?

At first we would say NO! But still... there is much that draws us together, so suppose we got engaged and tried to work things out before marriage. If we would have taken the time to work it out (and did't broke up this attempt because it just seemed to hard), and reached the point we got to a few years ago in our life, there is a good chance we would marry. 
For then it definitely would be for the right reasons. Like I tried to sum up in my previous post, my attempt to describe the bottom line when a MOM can potentially work out.
Some have the luxury to known and find out before they marry and some have to struggle through it when suddenly confronted with the fact like my wife and I had to. 

A MOM isn't the problem, the wrong reasons to enter (or be in) one is.

But I still think it's better to have it out in the open - it was better for me once I knew.  I went into shock, for the first three weeks I had hour long showers and then one which lasted an hour and a half, and as I was drying off I felt like either I was going to start vomiting or I was going to start crying and it was touch and go but then I started crying and it was better from then on.

I do understand how hard this has been for you. All the thoughts and feelings that rush through you, being confronted with this and trying to process it. It's a very dark page in my life also, and few who haven't gone through this, understand the devastating impact it really has. Fifteen years later, I'm still cleaning up some of the negative remnants of this period. Your situation was different and more difficult then ours, as you write that your ex was gaslighting you. So you were confronted with (years of) dishonest intentions, no real love, even manipulation. It must have been awful to realize this. This is one of the most cruel things that can happen upon someone and very hard to accept.

But not all homosexual spouses in a MOM are the same. There is good and there is evil, and it's not just TGT, but the actual (and complete) person that makes the difference.

okay so sexual orientation.  yes I do see it as being simple, as black and white as magnetic poles.  There it is, at the heart of mating behaviour.  Imagine if you were switched to same sex attraction - it's going to be profoundly different isn't it.  The conclusion I have reached is that for many people with that physical same sex attraction, they still have the emotionality to form a bond with a member of the opposite sex - and this is how they have a family.

To me the term bisexual is a misnomer because it implies physical attraction to both sexes.  there is a saying - bi now gay later.  Lots of stories of bi going gay not one of bi going straight.  Just like it does with the rest of us, the physical orientation remains stable.  It is the emotionality that shifts.

My wife being lesbian, will be much more attracted to women physically. I don't assume this will change. But that just isn't as all important as it's supposed to be.
It is very much more important that she wants to make love with me! Because she loves me, and she likes it, it makes her feel good and it makes me feel good. We connect emotionally and both feel completely loved by each other. She doesn't replace me in fantasy with a woman, because I am (the man) whom she loves. She is not "lesbian no 6", like she is repulsed by a mans body. She likes to give me what I enjoy, and that is enjoyment to herself. Well, from me to her, is of course not different from what a hetero man enjoys about a woman. So all ingredients for a good sexual relation are present. So emotional attraction bridges the physical attraction. Missing is that her enjoyment is not focussed on my manly physical aspects. Yes thats a pity, but it's not that important that I percieve this as problematic. 

I think in a hetero man-lesbian sexual relationship there is a different dynamic then gay-hetero woman sexual relationship:
Being a man I don't care that much about how I'm visually perceived (of course, I don't want to feel rejected also!). But for me (man) it's much more important to be appreciated for what I do, and who I am as a person to my wife (being loved and respected). So the physical attraction part doesn't count that strongly towards me. For my wife however it's much more important to feel desired and admired for her beauty (and of course also being loved for who she is as person). 
I assume physical sexuallity, when the man is gay, is more complicated because of these differences. (ie. harder for the emotional attraction to bridge the lack in physical attraction)

But even than the emotional shift can make all the difference. The physical attraction part may well be only truly decisive when one is at/near the extreme end of the spectrum.
Even if I shifted emotionally for miles, I would never want to be with a man. Thats because I'm at the extreme hetero side. I assume the same goes for 100% lesbians/gays. 

January 2, 2020 12:51 am  #14

do you think of sexual orientation as being on a spectrum with gay at one end and straight at the other?  what's in the middle, someone who is equally attracted both ways? 

It's just not like that, is it.  All us straights say we're only attracted to the opposite sex.  Then you get the gay people who see themselves as being on a spectrum and that's fine by me but it is not about being physically attracted to the opposite sex it seems to me to be more about emotional compatibility.

check out Alfred Kinsey who invented that spectrum.  He was gay and married, ie bisexual.  He sought out treatment for his homosexual urges.

There is a profound difference between gay and straight.  Gay people like to say straight people don't know what it's like for them and fair enough but it goes both ways - they don't know what it's like for us.

'oh it's only sex'.  I won't accept that any more, but I did so for far too long.  That is what my ex would say, there's more important things than sex.  Eventually though, he ended up saying there's more important things than love.  well I knew he was wrong about that!  

January 2, 2020 4:25 pm  #15

do you think of sexual orientation as being on a spectrum with gay at one end and straight at the other?  what's in the middle, someone who is equally attracted both ways? 

It's just not like that, is it.  All us straights say we're only attracted to the opposite sex.  Then you get the gay people who see themselves as being on a spectrum and that's fine by me but it is not about being physically attracted to the opposite sex it seems to me to be more about emotional compatibility.

check out Alfred Kinsey who invented that spectrum.  He was gay and married, ie bisexual.  He sought out treatment for his homosexual urges.

I think straight and (100%) gay are the extremes of the spectrum (I don't think a 100% gay person finds himself in a spectrum). So at these extreme ends there is no experience of spectrum, it's black and white.
Most people are straight so don't have to deal with "a spectrum", it's outside their experience. But everyone that falls in between, do experiences some kind of spectrum. That hasn't to be 50/50, its a blur moving from one side to the other side of the spectrum. 

The problem is, how to describe this "blur and spectrum", what does it accutally mean in practise? How do people handle it, and what are the driving factors? 
Is the term "sexual orientation" suitable? It's not at all clear to me what this term means or how to define it.
To some extend one can give a theoretical number value to "physical attraction". But how important is that exactly and to what extend? It's clear that the Kinsey scale is not adequate. 
It's like a weather report with only wind speeds, but without temperature or amount of rainfall.

You coin the term "emotional compatibility". And I agree with you to add more factors into the equation. What is your definition of this term? And would it be enough to explain most or everything? 

For me personally: fifteen years ago my wife came out lesbian. I'm still a man, she is still a woman, i'm still straight, she still labels herself lesbian. But our MOM is totally okay.
We don't care for what the Kinsey scale says. Our reality is made of so many more aspects, very different from just TGT. 

There is a profound difference between gay and straight.  Gay people like to say straight people don't know what it's like for them and fair enough but it goes both ways - they don't know what it's like for us.

Yes, it's an enigma that everbody experiences sexuallity, but at the same time it always creeps beyond our understanding.

The article series on this website might very well interest you:

https://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/part-one-sexual-orientation-sexuality-and-gender

'oh it's only sex'.  I won't accept that any more, but I did so for far too long.  That is what my ex would say, there's more important things than sex.  Eventually though, he ended up saying there's more important things than love.  well I knew he was wrong about that!  

Did he say that to avoid sex, or because he wanted to have sex outside the marriage? In both cases it would be wrong, but it's not clear to me what the situation was.

January 3, 2020 11:56 pm  #16

what sort of a spectrum is it where most of the people are at one end or the other - shouldn't the majority be in the middle?  what are you trying to make possible here? 

You have argued that your wife finds you physically attractive at least to a small degree - in other words that she is both lesbian and straight.  

And you have argued that your wife is a lesbian but that physical orientation isn't the most important part of all there is to the love between you.

Look, if she was your friend physical orientation is not a problem at all, but when you are married it is a big deal and with children, responsibility into the future.

So you are making the best fist you can of it Dutchman.  I wish you well, anything further I say is to dip into the dark side.  oh.  well let's stick a toe in - the reason I am so confident in my assertion that there's a physical magnetic attraction/repulsion element in us - ie a sexual orientation is because that is my experience and echoed by so many and I can see now looking back how I could feel that repulsion in him and it worried me enough to ask questions.  Oh well there's more important things than sex - yes it was a way to end the conversation I was wanting to have and it worked because of course love matters above all.

January 4, 2020 4:55 am  #17

I have just read this article, thought it was quite interesting.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/001669.htm

It is a description of intersex from a medical perspective.  I had no idea it was that complicated - I just thought it would be interesting to know if hermaphrodites have different chromosomes.  and yes they do.  It's just that there's several different types...

January 5, 2020 8:33 pm  #18

what sort of a spectrum is it where most of the people are at one end or the other - shouldn't the majority be in the middle?  what are you trying to make possible here? 

It doesn't seem that in_plausible to me. On the contrary. Sexual orientation being somewhat of a blur spreading left and right, this is what someone would expect. There is no need to have this aspect evenly distributed along the spectrum.
Most are (obviously) on the hetero side of the spectrum. This is biologically set. On the extremes (left and right), "the blur" fades out beyond the scale limits. Thus causing the "fully hetero" being not (or just a bit) spreading towards the homo direction, and the same goes for the "fully gay" not spreading towards the hetero direction. (only the left side of the 'blurry' side).
To me this scale makes sense. I think it represents (approximately) the reality, concerning the physical attraction of sexuality.

So the people that find themselves the extremes of this spectrum are somewhat different distributed then those in between. Those in between are more sexual fluid.
That conforms more of less to what is observed. What is your problem with it?

You have argued that your wife finds you physically attractive at least to a small degree - in other words that she is both lesbian and straight.  

And you have argued that your wife is a lesbian but that physical orientation isn't the most important part of all there is to the love between you.

Yes, both are true. The physical attraction bit, isn't the defining factor by far. The real reality is so much different. 
To my experience there are factors that are very much more important (love!) then some "physical attraction score". Even for me hetero man, I acknowledge visual attraction holds value to me. But what subjective value I give really to that 'score'??? Whether I look at someone I love, or I look at someone else, makes a huge difference in "scoring points". And even then, this "scoring points" thing is actually irrelevant.
I want to make love to the woman I love, that is what I feel. And well, I love how she looks, she's a beauty. Maybe typical a mans thing to be so visual. But I realize also this is bound to my love for her. There is no objective picture, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it makes all the difference if love is in that eye.

Look, if she was your friend physical orientation is not a problem at all, but when you are married it is a big deal and with children, responsibility into the future.

I don't get it what you mean. 

So you are making the best fist you can of it Dutchman.  I wish you well, anything further I say is to dip into the dark side.  oh.  well let's stick a toe in - the reason I am so confident in my assertion that there's a physical magnetic attraction/repulsion element in us - ie a sexual orientation is because that is my experience and echoed by so many and I can see now looking back how I could feel that repulsion in him and it worried me enough to ask questions.  Oh well there's more important things than sex - yes it was a way to end the conversation I was wanting to have and it worked because of course love matters above all.

I agree that there are extreme ends of the spectrum, that make it (near) impossible to have a successful marriage with. Too many things that work against it (actual and perpetuating repulsion for instance). Well, to me that also looks like a hopeless enterprise (but anything can and will happen).
But I do understand your stance, given your personal experience. Would you be in my shoes, the experience is totally different. So there are two sides to this story. It's okay to point to both ways, for both are possible outcomes. And that doesn't depend on you or me, but the people involved. Their life stories and their choices.

I do think it's important to always keep sexual intimacy going. Even when it's complicated and not sparkly, still one should be seeking some way to continue it in certain degree. For even when it's not what it could be, it demonstrates the will to reach out to each other out (in love!). When that is just not possible, there is a good chance that he/she doesn't really understand what the concept of love actually is. Or your spouse is 100% gay and it's all repulsion that he/she feels. But it may also be problems in youth/upbringing, or it could be serious underlying problem like NPD. 
IMO Stopping sexual intimacy altogether is a sign that there are more (hidden?) problems then just being in a MOM. Did you (both) take steps to address this problem?

January 6, 2020 7:26 am  #19

I do, increasingly I object to all these percentages scales and spectrums - they do not encompass the straight experience.

here's another interesting article on intersex.  It's rather sweet, a description of what it's like by a young person.

https://www.minus18.org.au/index.php/articles/item/2-847-im-intersex-heres-what-that-means

The thing that always strikes me with bisexuals is that they seem to think they know better than straights what is gender and sexuality.  Huh?  I want to say.  Fascinatingly the intersex person takes it even further, he thinks he knows a lot better than us straights.  we who only know one gender when they know both.

They do not know, Dutchman what it is to be straight.  But they know what they know, it is different to us, it has some great observations, I do not believe it is as relevant to the straight experience as they like to think it is. 

Yes of course people stay in MOMs  as well as divorce - I think this is the only site for the straight spouse though.  When I first came here it was quite permissible to talk about the ick factor.  That you felt sick.  Sleeping with a gay man made me feel physically sick, and I had buried that feeling for far too long, it was a lot to process when it came out.  Nowadays it's not pc.  We are being told to bury our visceral pain again.  not an option for me, and I don't regret that - my feeling is better out than in.

People have been saying sexual attraction is magnetic for centuries that we know of.  If it isn't attraction it is repulsion, that's the meaning of magnetic.  As the straight spouse I was attracted by my partner's body but there was this underlying current that wasn't right and eventually that turned out to be he was gay but until that time I just took it on and ended up feeling very sick.

I know numbers of people in MOM's some very close to me.  they are taking medications to keep the blood pressure down.  My blood pressure is back to normal, I am soul deep relieved to have had this time out of the MOM but I am struggling with being alone and they might yet make older bones than me.

January 6, 2020 4:54 pm  #20

I do, increasingly I object to all these percentages scales and spectrums - they do not encompass the straight experience.

here's another interesting article on intersex.  It's rather sweet, a description of what it's like by a young person.

https://www.minus18.org.au/index.php/articles/item/2-847-im-intersex-heres-what-that-means

This intersex thing is not the same as sexual orientation. I think it's like different lines. I personally don't have any knowledge or direct contact with intersex or transsex people, so I can't say anything useful about this subject. I do think that it's a topic on some ideological agenda, which has nothing to do with the less than 1% people actually concerned.

The thing that always strikes me with bisexuals is that they seem to think they know better than straights what is gender and sexuality.  Huh?  I want to say.  Fascinatingly the intersex person takes it even further, he thinks he knows a lot better than us straights.  we who only know one gender when they know both.

I agree. The whole subject "sexuality" or "sexual orientation" is not as well defined as math. The link I posted earlier, examining the "scientific knowledge", shows how very little is really understood or even defined. Being bisexual or trans, doesn't help either. 

They do not know, Dutchman what it is to be straight.  But they know what they know, it is different to us, it has some great observations, I do not believe it is as relevant to the straight experience as they like to think it is. 

You have made several of these remarks, but it's not clear to me what you're aiming at. What do you exactly mean with "straight experience" vs "bisexual/gay experience"? Can you elaborate on that, maybe some specific examples that clarify what you mean? I have the distinct impression that to your opinion this is something concrete and very important/decisive, so I'm curious what you have in mind.

Yes of course people stay in MOMs  as well as divorce - I think this is the only site for the straight spouse though.  When I first came here it was quite permissible to talk about the ick factor.  That you felt sick.  Sleeping with a gay man made me feel physically sick, and I had buried that feeling for far too long, it was a lot to process when it came out.  Nowadays it's not pc.  We are being told to bury our visceral pain again.  not an option for me, and I don't regret that - my feeling is better out than in.

It's certainly not okay to be disrespectful to gays/bisexuals in general. But I agree it's nonsense this should withhold being clear and outspoken on the how some individuals behave and the pain they cause others. Indeed that awful political correctness that is supposed to be observed. Oh man, I can get sick about that also. Argh, it can make me very angry sometimes.
The stories in the media about gays coming out of the closet, and they are celebrated for being so courageous, and how happy they are finding their "true self" etc . And then some anonymous straight spouse in the background, totally ignored and forgotten. That spouse is even supposed to be cheering along, because it's so wonderful that he/she had the honor to be part of that story. Yeah right!
No, I have been close enough in this situation to fully understand how devastating it potentially can be. I've been near the abyss and have seen the depth of it so to speak.

People have been saying sexual attraction is magnetic for centuries that we know of.  If it isn't attraction it is repulsion, that's the meaning of magnetic.  As the straight spouse I was attracted by my partner's body but there was this underlying current that wasn't right and eventually that turned out to be he was gay but until that time I just took it on and ended up feeling very sick.

But I suppose the reason for you feeling sick about it, was not him being gay as such, but what he did (or didn't). His behavior, dishonesty, gaslighting etc. That's what it's really about. The person he truly is, and from what you wrote I get the impression he was not beautiful on the inside.
Is the fact that he was gay the real discerning factor? Wouldn't it have made you sick also if he was straight and was cheating, lying and fooling you? 

I know numbers of people in MOM's some very close to me.  they are taking medications to keep the blood pressure down.  My blood pressure is back to normal, I am soul deep relieved to have had this time out of the MOM but I am struggling with being alone and they might yet make older bones than me.

Being in a MOM shouldn't (have to) be continuing stress and alarm. But it takes several years to find the way to the situation you both want to be. And while traveling, it sure can be stressful. The things to work out are really challenging. No doubt about that! The first few years after my wife came out, was a lot of stress to me. And by this I mean: A LOT! It's something that one can't endure for many years, so it's very important to find a way through this initial turmoil towards somewhat easier and more sustainable grounds (getting support during this period is highly recommended).
Eventually we've come to a no-stress situation, so I suppose the people in the MOM's you know are still struggling through that initial period. Or are beyond that, but have no clue how to proceed further, a status quo but without real solution (we've been in that situation too). We found it very hard we had to find our way without any role model or guidance, we had to find the way as we went.
Back then, there were some "support groups". People in the same situation, to share with. But I got the impression that they were more like intermediate stations on the way to a certain and unavoidable divorce or open relation. This was not our goal and I (we) didn't want to be sheep, so decided to try to find our own way, against the current. Sure glad we did!

Board footera