OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 6, 2018 4:13 pm  #21

Re: Collectively building a "first aid kit" for the unfortunate newbies

Sorry.. it doesn't like the indentations and bullet points I was using. not sure how to edit that at the moment.. I'll try to clean it up later when I have more time. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

June 6, 2018 5:05 pm  #22

I think the "Assert Yourself" bulletpoint needs to be at the beginning, and even repeated further in.

" You have a voice and you get to make decisions for what happens in your life and in your home.  Set boundaries for what you are not comfortable with and don’t be pushed around.  By keeping their sexuality a secret, your partner has made themselves the priority in their lives while you have been loving them and making them a priority as well.  Someone has to make you the priority so it’s time you do that. "

This paragraph cuts straight to the heart of what we go through. It's an uplifting statement

KIA KAHA                       

June 6, 2018 8:22 pm  #23

Very good start - maybe use bold text on some of the important words on each point. They become the point form item and the remaining sentences flesh it out for those who read on.

At the beginning - instead of "you've discovered your spouse is gay" perhaps it should say "discovered or suspect your spouse or partner is" followed by gay, lesbian, bi or bi-curious, trans, etc.? I think we have to cover the bases but how many terms before it gets too wordy?

Perhaps a closing statement? None of our journeys are identical but our paths may overlap. Together, we can encourage each other to making those steps forward.

Last edited by Daryl (June 6, 2018 8:24 pm)

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

June 6, 2018 10:44 pm  #24

Maybe expanding on the roller coaster feelings as intense/explosive anger & rage in one moment,  and the next as devastating heartbreak for the loss of your spouse and future.   IDK I'm not the best writer but there's a pattern of feelings from the shock and trauma of disclosure.  For example, I was unaware of the volumes of tears that were to come and it felt like it would never stop.  The fear of being alone as well is part of the roller coaster.  

IDK  -  Just my two cents.  I think its a great idea !  It's also admirable that you're putting so much thought and work into this to help so many others to come.

Last edited by Kathyd (June 6, 2018 10:52 pm)

WTF

June 7, 2018 9:06 am  #25

Great feedback so far!  Thank you Ellexoh, Daryl, Kathy.   I'll update based on your input today. 

Hoping for more input from the group.  Any major concepts that I've missed?  

What pieces of advice helped you through the first weeks/months of the ordeal?

I feel like I need to include something to reenforce that they will survive this.   "You will get through this"  "You can do it"   "You will find happyness again"    There is peace and calm and happyness after you pass through this storm.. 

Last edited by phoenix (June 7, 2018 9:10 am)

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

June 7, 2018 11:57 am  #26

I have a problem with the first part of the first sentence: "So; you’ve discovered your spouse is gay...."  Many who come here have not yet come to that conclusion no matter what they've discovered. Even if they have not told their spouse and been met with denials they probably are only thinking "bi".  

Perhaps it would be better to say "So you've discovered that your spouse is having sex (or seeking to have sex) with a person of the same gender... "  

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

June 7, 2018 12:36 pm  #27

Abby, I agree with what you and Daryl said.   My original wording was short-sighted.   

I've changed it to say, "So; you believe your spouse is LGBTQ,..."
Just saying "gay" didn't cover our membership as we have people here with spouses who fit into many of those other letters of the acronym. 
I also changed it to say, "you believe".   Because you are correct.. many of us never get full disclosure or proof. 

Thanks for the input!   Please keep it coming!

June 7, 2018 2:15 pm  #28

Updated draft.   Please keep the suggestions and opinions coming!

So; you believe your spouse is LGBT and the world seems to be crashing down around you.  You are most likely experiencing severe mental anguish with feelings of confusion, sadness, betrayal and fear.  At the moment you are probably wondering how you will ever survive the changes in life this will bring. We can help!

Welcome to the straight spouse network forum – A place where we understand exactly how you feel because we’ve been through it.   While none of us are professionals, we have earned our stripes by walking through the fire ourselves and we are now uniquely qualified to share our wisdom, advice, love and compassion.   We are so sorry you find yourself here, but we are glad you are here and hope we can help you through this.  It does get better – we promise.

The following work is the collective effort of the SSN forum.  It is a compilation of the best and most frequently offered advice and encouragement to help you survive the initial and most difficult stages of this journey you find yourself forced into taking.  It is NOT meant to stop you from posting and sharing your story and asking for help and advice.  We strongly encourage you to sign up with an anonymous account on the forum and share your story and your struggles and ask for help and engage in conversation.  This is meant as a resource guide for everyone – including the thousands of people who will choose not to sign up.  We want to help them as well.

The First Aid Kit:  Advice on how to survive finding out your spouse is LGBT.

First and Foremost:  IF you are having thoughts of suicide or considering harming yourself please know that there are immediate resources available to help you.   Please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.  The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress as well as prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones. 

1 - Get Professional Help
   A - Visit your Doctor – You are likely under immense emotional stress right now and this trauma manifests itself in very real physical ways.  Lack of sleep, little to no appetite, high stress, anxiety, depression and many other symptoms are very dangerous to your short and long-term health.  Navigating this process would be hard enough under the best of health and conditions, so please seek help in reducing or eliminating these additional problems.  Asking for help is not a sign of weakness, but rather, a sign of strength.  Don’t try to be a hero and go through this alone.  Additionally, and equally important, please get tested for STD’s.  Sadly we find that a high percentage of our LGBT partners have cheated on us, so please be safe and get checked to be sure.
  B - Find a therapist or councilor.   Just like the doctor will help you with your physical pain, a therapist will help you with your emotional pain.  You will face a number of emotions that you will need help in understanding and dealing with.  Betrayal, fear, anger, sadness, shock, lack of trust are just a few of the simple concepts you will need to process and there are many more complex issues to get through in your healing process.  Please don’t think that seeking emotional therapy is a sign of weakness.  Knowing you need help and seeking it is true strength.

2 - Get Support
  A - Build a support network of a few close friends or family members
.  Today is your rainy day!  You’ve been cultivating relationships with family and friends for many years.  Now is the time to ask for help from those people.  There is nothing like having a shoulder to cry on, help with difficult tasks, coffee with a friend, and someone to talk to.  Way too many of us suffer in silence thinking that we can’t share what is going on.  We think we must protect our spouse’s secret.  By doing so, we lock ourselves in their closet with them and we suffer so much more than necessary.  We never want to “out” our spouse in a malicious way, but you absolutely have the right to tell your story to those close to you so that you can seek help and support in this horrific time of need. 
  B - Find people with similar experience.  You are not the only person in the world who has dealt with this, despite what it might seem.  In fact, you’ve already started this process by finding us here on the Straight Spouse Network.  Please feel free to use this forum to share your feelings and frustrations, share your story, ask for help and advice.  We are here for you!   Also, please look into joining one of our face-to-face meeting groups.  The SSN has groups in most major cities that meet on a regular basis.  http://www.straightspouse.org/test/face2face-support-groups/
  C - Draw strength from your faith or spirituality.  While the SSN is not a religious organization, we strongly encourage those of you who consider yourselves to be religious to seek out help from those people or organizations to help you navigate these hard times. 

3 - Take Care or Yourself
  A - Be kind to yourself.  If you sustain physical injury or have surgery you give yourself time to heal your body.  You are now going through emotional injury and you need to give yourself the chance to heal both your mind and your body.  Your whole world is shaking right now, the future you had envisioned has been wiped away and even your past has been called into question.  It’s ok to stay in bed and cry.  It’s ok to take a few weeks off work (vacation or short/long term disability) to get through this initial trauma.  It’s ok to back away from extra-curricular activities or events.  Don’t let anyone else dictate what you do or accomplish in this time.
  B - Avoid Stress if possible.  Put aside stressful decisions and situations until you are better prepared to deal with them.  There are many challenging decisions to be made in the future, such as how to make the marriage work or get a divorce, how to deal with financial issues and legal issues and child custody and how to tell you children, etc...  Most of these decisions and problems are impossible to solve today so stop trying.  Put aside those fears and worried and the stress of figuring things out and just focus on getting through the day.  These decisions will be easier to make later when things are clear and you are stronger so give yourself time to get through the initial trauma and put off the hard decisions until you are stronger and better able to make those choices.   
  C - Stop having intimacy with your spouse.  Since so many spouses have cheated on us you should stop having sex with them to protect from diseases.   Additionally, you need to protect yourself from “trauma bonding”.  Do not seek comfort and solace from the person causing you pain.  This makes your recovery much more difficult.

4 - Adjust your mindset
  A -  Don’t blame yourself or feel ashamed or guilty. 
So many of us beat ourselves up and struggle with issues of self-blame and guilt.  It makes our recovery and healing so much harder.  This is not your fault!   You may recognize signs and clues that you think you should have seen, but you didn’t.  You couldn’t at the time.  You weren’t even looking for them.  We are not programed to investigate our partner’s sexual orientation prior to getting married.  When you are in love you assume the best of your partner, you trust your partner, you put them in priority and expect the same in return.  Your partner has most likely known since childhood that they had a same sex attraction and they have become a professional at hiding that secret.  They literally form their life around a fake persona.  You never had a chance to uncover such an important secret that you didn’t know you were supposed to be looking for.   Do not feel guilty or blame yourself.  Too many straight spouses suffer alone because they are too ashamed or think other people will judge them for not knowing.  Don’t hurt yourself and make your recovery harder by beating yourself up and suffering in silence.
  B - Assert yourself.  You have a voice and you get to make decisions for what happens in your life and in your home.  Set boundaries for what you are not comfortable with and don’t be pushed around.  By keeping their sexuality a secret, your partner has made themselves the priority in their lives while you have been loving them and making them a priority as well.  Someone has to make you the priority so it’s time you do that. 
  C - Recognize that the recovery process is like a roller coaster.  Human emotions are fluid and change frequently.  As such, the levels of pain and grief change daily or even hourly.  You will have many “ups” and “downs” as you progress through this journey.  In the beginning the “downs” are long and severe, but over time they get shorter and less deep.  The ups get higher and last longer.  Over time the ride becomes smoother with fewer downs.  You will relapse and be triggered from time to time but they become easier to deal with and last a shorter time.  When you are feeling the worst, try not to panic and remember that you in a natural low point and that you will feel better in a few hours or the next day.  
  D - Allow yourself to feel and express your emotions.  I'ts OK to not be OK.  These emotions are real and valid and it’s unhealthy to bottle them up and suppress them.  Let out those tears, scream at the top of your lungs, punch something (soft), and hug whoever will hug you back.
  E - Your support is not required.  Many of our spouses and society expect us to support the choices and actions of our partners as they embrace their change in sexuality or gender.  You should not be expected to support their actions, which have brought pain into your life; nor should you feel guilty about your feelings.   
  F - You can do this!  Right now you are probably feeling overwhelmed and you can't see how you will possibly survive this.  But you will.  Take it a day at at time.  You will find the strength to handle each step in this process at the time you need it.  

5 -  What comes next?
6 - Additional resources (A list of links to helpful internet sites - ie. stages of grief, understanding narcissism, legal resources, co-parenting, how to protect your kids through divorce... )

"And once the storm is over, you wont remember how you made it through, 
how you managed to survive. You wont even be sure, whether the storm is 
really over. But one thing is certain, 
when you come out of the storm, you wont be the same person who walked in. 
Thats what this storms all about. "
~ Haruki Murakami ~

Last edited by phoenix (June 10, 2018 2:21 pm)

June 7, 2018 2:28 pm  #29

phoenix wrote:

Great feedback so far!  .....I feel like I need to include something to reenforce that they will survive this.   "You will get through this"  "You can do it"   "You will find happyness again"    There is peace and calm and happyness after you pass through this storm.. 

Roo has this quote at the end of her posts..

"And once the storm is over, you wont remember how you made it through, 
how you managed to survive. You wont even be sure, whether the storm is 
really over. But one thing is certain, 
when you come out of the storm, you wont be the same person who walked in. 
Thats what this storms all about. "
~ Haruki Murakami ~

I read it often. It's all about fact....and strength

Last edited by Ellexoh_nz (June 7, 2018 2:30 pm)

KIA KAHA                       

June 7, 2018 2:40 pm  #30

Added the quote.  Thanks!

I'm still planning to review the order of everything as well, so I haven't forgotten your point about asserting yourself being important and perhaps needing to be in a higher position on the list. 

Board footera