OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 7, 2019 12:17 am  #1

Support

I love my gay soon to be ex-husband. I support his decision. Yeah it sucks for me. Yeah i am pissed at all i lost but i love him. It was no life for him to lead. For 26 years he tried to be what i needed and now it is his turn to be what he needs. It is hard for me to accept that the love he gave me was never husband wife love.  But he has always loved me as family. He is having a hard time believing that i support him. But i love him still. And yeah it is hard for me to hear how amazing he is to his husband but the man i know has always been amazing and had that potential. Just not for me. I really did want the future we were to have. And now i am just so alone. I do not know that i want to ever give my heart and body and soul away like i did with him. My goal is to be the best mom and best friend i can be to my spouse.
I see so many people on hear begging to make a relationship work that can’t. And i see so many people bitter at the spouse. But he never cheated on me and he loved me as family the best he could. I am proud of him for trying to finally find his happiness.
People think we can’t be friends or that i can’t be ok with this but i had my time. We tried. I got two amazing kids and a person who was there for me. The only thing i would change is him admitting to me what we were earlier in the relationship and giving me the choice on if i wanted to stay in a friendship marriage rather than a live marriage.
I support him in his future endeavors and i genuinely hope he can finally find happiness.
I am tired of people thinking i need to be angry at him or that i shouldn’t still be there for him. No one should try to define our relationship together. I want him to be my friend. I want to be a part of his life still. I want to help him and my kids to adjust and be happy.

December 7, 2019 1:03 am  #2

Re: Support

Herealways,

I think everyones situation is different.
I would have done anything for my GX.. Loved her more than anything.
I supported her even when she was cheating.

Even when we were divorcing I was kind..but she just could not be.I begged her to just be kind.
She became so mean and hurtful.

I'm not bitter or angry at her.  I physically fear her.

Last edited by Rob (December 7, 2019 1:04 am)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 7, 2019 7:22 am  #3

If your husband has acknowledged that he is gay and you are divorcing it means that he is moving on with his life. While you may want to remain friends he is going to make new ones and may even already have a special someone. His interests may change too and you may have less in common,

Like you we have children together. We live in different communities post-divorce but have remained amicable, for which both children have thanked me. What was important for me in my healing was to recognize that our past relationship was dead. No funeral, no casseroles and no insurance but my husband was absolutely gone. And following the example of my hardy ancestors who outlived two and  three husbands I decided that was not going to spend too long in mourning.

You wrote "And now i am just so alone" and that sums it up.  In your own time you will need to start writing the next chapters of your life and adding new friends and experiences. As you move forward the past naturally recedes.

You don't need to be angry but do allow yourself a future that does not revolve around him.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

December 7, 2019 11:04 am  #4

As he writes his next chapter, please don't neglect your own but do take it at your own speed. It's compatible with being a Mom. Best wishes as you navigate this road.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

December 7, 2019 12:53 pm  #5

Abby wrote:

You don't need to be angry but do allow yourself a future that does not revolve around him.

I agree with Abby. You're still centering him like you're still married to him. From your post it sounds like he already has a new same-sex spouse. Why are you still trying to wife for him? He has someone new who can or at least should be doing that for him.

Not your job anymore! He's moving on. Where's your support? This is why you feel so alone. You are still giving to someone who can't give back what you need. It doesn't mean it's malicious on his part. It's probably habit after so many years together but not healthy for either of you long-term. Especially you. Recognizing this has very little to do with anger.

Anger isn't a dirty word. It's basically pain resulting from a wrong. It bothers me a little to be told I'm bitter for feeling it when someone lied to me and hurt me. If you don't feel that way I'm genuinely happy for you but it doesn't make anger at this stuff an invalid response. It's just not your response. It seems to me you are still grieving. You may skip over anger altogether as you heal! Not a bad thing!

I think if you want to remain friends with your former spouse that's up to you and good for you if you manage it. But friends have appropriate boundaries. It might be a good idea to work on some, seek some therapy, and start trying to get in touch with who you are outside of those roles of friend and mother. You don't deserve to feel alone. You deserve a good life too!

Board footera