OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 14, 2019 2:10 am  #1

A brief intro

Hi

I am new to the group and have joined to share my experience and hopefully find some solidarity. For now I shall keep this a brief hello as I have not slept in the three weeks since the bomb (who’s ticking had always been there like the clock in the crocodile from Peter Pan) went off.
I am a proud and passionate farther of 2. (3&7) and husband of 9 years.
I love and respect my wife even since she has realised she is gay and we have founded our relationship on regular honest conversation. We are at the very raw stages of both coming to terms with what this means for our future happiness.
I am going to follow the first aid kit as best I can (not religious, have a highly stressful job and not many friends) but cannot stop facing what feels like the inevitable truth that at some point in the not too distant future I will lose everything I love and have worked for.
More to follow - need some sleep!

Last edited by Doug42 (November 14, 2019 2:12 am)

November 14, 2019 6:00 am  #2

Re: A brief intro

Hi Doug,

married 9 years, three weeks in from the bomb going off.  Doug, you need to think about that.   Nine years and more before she told you.  just something like - oh excuse me, something feels wrong, and it's not you it's me, I'm still feeling so attracted to women - would make a difference.

how much does it hurt?  three weeks with no sleep says how much.

I think this might be a sort of wired in response.  I didn't stop sleeping for three weeks but I walked around and did things like putting a bed in my studio and a visit to the doctor and set myself up, all the time knowing that the point was coming when I was just going to drop and not be able to get up for a while.

So I think that's where you are at - spent three weeks setting yourself up to handle it as best you may before the shock sets in.  One of the things you have done is write a post here so I am responding. 

Having a stressful job is tough.  You need to support yourself in this.  Just do what is in front of you to do, one step at a time and give yourself a hug as often as you think of it.

wishing you all the best, Lily

November 14, 2019 9:50 am  #3

Hi Lily
Thanks for your reply, maybe I need to explain my situation a bit less briefly because those imagined quotes you made for my wife could not be further from reality.
She and I knew she was bi sexual when we met, we both (naively) put it down to youthful exploration. Forward wind 13 years and it is fairly clear that suppressing that part of her identity has been the cause of some minor but persistent issues with her mental state and our closeness.
I am very liberal and enjoy the company of gay men despite no desire to sleep with them. I am cynical about the idea of an open relationship enduring particularly in a family home but have always been drawn to the idea of a three person mff loving and supporting relationship even before I met my wife.
I want to stand by my wife as she goes through the implications of her realisation and support my family in doing so. As I see it, as lost as I feel, and as scared as I am about some of the probably unavoidable truths we stand the best chance of a good future together in whatever form if we work on this together if it is only to bow out gracefully.

November 14, 2019 12:15 pm  #4

Doug,
   I hate to break it to you but you are by no means the first person to come here at the stage you're in with a desire to "stand by" your spouse, and with rosy expectations of what "we" will do to make it work.  Nor are you the first person to come here with a history of pro-LGBT rights.  
  If your role eventually is to "bow out gracefully" I hope you will before that point go and visit an attorney to see what your rights in divorce are under the law, and to find out if there are things to watch out for that you don't realize might bite you in the rear later (like moving out of the house, which can be construed as "abandonment" and affect a custody agreement).  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (November 14, 2019 12:16 pm)

November 14, 2019 1:14 pm  #5

I shall at this point bow out gracefully from this forum maybe to never return maybe to come back eating embittered humble pie. Although if I get there, per your predictions, I suspect I will find better solidarity in the nearest pub.
Please be well in the meantime.

Last edited by Doug42 (November 14, 2019 1:23 pm)

November 14, 2019 1:26 pm  #6

Doug42 wrote:

Doug42...Welcome to the Forum. First bit of advice; don't try and run before you can walk. Your wife hasn't just realised she's gay, she's known it for a while and has had more time to think about and get used to what it means for her, you, your children and your life together. 
Before you try to fix what's broken you need to post more to the Forum, listen to the stories and advice from those who have been there, are living it too.....and even come out the other side

Being "liberal" and enjoying the company of gay men is a 'chasm away' from having a partner whose sexual focus is not on the man she married but a person of the same gender. She may not have told you some things even though you say your communication is good

Second, and most important, piece of advice is....you need to talk to somebody. A friend, family member who will have your back, keep your confidence as you navigate these initial confusing first weeks. No trusting friends, no family you feel you can talk to? Then go see a counselor. Soon. Don't try to shoulder this alone.

KIA KAHA                       

November 14, 2019 1:32 pm  #7

Doug42 wrote:

I suspect I will find better solidarity in the nearest pub..

No, you won't. Stay. You'll get truth from the Forum. Don't let your pride get in the way of hearing it

KIA KAHA                       

November 14, 2019 2:32 pm  #8

If you already knew, then what was the bomb that went off? 

in my imagined quote she isn't making a hopeful statement and saying I'm bisexual but it's just teen-age exploration and really you are the one I love.  she is making an honest statement and saying this doesn't feel right no matter how much I want it, I really am attracted to women. 

no she left the clock to tick away (great analogy).  and I am sorry to say it but it is likely the bomb has gone off now because she has a serious girlfriend.

bisexuals come out of the closet in mid life in plentiful numbers.  bisexuals staying in the closet but having relationships outside their marriage are plentiful.  bisexuals discovering they are really straight and love their husband?  not one case that I've heard of.  ever.

fantasising about two women paying attention to you is one thing but sharing a bed with two women who are into each other?

you are being manipulated my friend.

don't believe me?  stand back and watch.  change what you do, don't fall into line, make her work to get you to do what she wants.  then you will see for yourself.

there's a reason you feel hurt.  there's a reason you feel like a bomb has gone off.

and yes, this is a common theme.  the first post is you telling your story like it is.  then it is either silence or a second post in which you are feeling more comfortable in the marriage - she is soft-soaping you.  It doesn't last.  

I feel for you, we all do, we have been there.  You're being manipulated by the very things that make you the man you are.  Your loyalty to your wife is strong and feels great, it's you, it stays with you even if you get divorced you keep your good heart - you will be okay in the long run.

Look after yourself.  wishing you all the best, Lily.

Last edited by lily (November 14, 2019 2:33 pm)

November 14, 2019 2:35 pm  #9

Hello, Doug & welcome (a solemn welcome because, let's face it, none of us ever wanted to end up here.)

My husband dropped the bi bomb on me 6 months ago on his 35th birthday (9ish years, 1 child into our relationship)...so I know that ticking sound you described quite well. Based on just about every story I've read on the Internet (including yours), I suspect I'm due for the "big gay awakening" on his 40th (give or take a few confusing, miserable years.) I just might join you in that pub!  

Best of luck to you. Sending love, light (and winter ale) for the days ahead.

November 17, 2019 2:00 pm  #10

Doug42.....hey there How's it been, have you been logging on and checking in...reading?

One of the hardest bits about the Forum is when we get to hear things we're not ready to hear. When 
I joined I found the stories were all so much the same yet each one was so different that it was actually 
realising that learning to listen to the stories and advice of others was what strengthened and made clear 
my resolve to figure out my own path. 

I hope you're well

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera