OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 3, 2019 1:02 pm  #11

Re: the past rears its ugly head

That person who gave her husband a deadline ... was me, lol.

My thinking was that the truth has a way of escaping, at the worst possible time.  I didn't want my daughter to be confronting me and demanding to know why I didn't tell her, why I lied and kept a secret from her.  I viewed my choice as being between me taking charge and breaking the news in a gentle and sensitive way, at an appropriate time ... or playing chicken and waiting for the day there's a policeman standing at the door to break some difficult news to us.  It wasn't a question of "whether" my daughter would ultimately know, it was a question of "when".

October 3, 2019 1:40 pm  #12

walkby,
Sorry I didn't remember that you were the person who'd discussed this.   I was then and still am convinced by your reasoning.  I know my ex believes our son need never know, and he seems to believe that he never would/will--unless I tell him.  Even if this were true (and I'm not convinced it's the case) the certainty of continued secrecy is not a reason to refrain from telling the truth.  It simply relieves my ex of the burden of owning his truth.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (October 3, 2019 1:41 pm)

October 10, 2019 4:05 am  #13

Dear OOHC, 
I'm so glad to hear you feel you can feel strong enough to weather the truth telling soon and hopefully feel some relief with that.  And good you have time to prepare.  My GIDX managed to candy coat it all as if it were some short phase due to his desire to explore his sexuality after I told my sons.  They seem to believe him and now paint me as fixated on the sexuality bit of it rather than the lying part which they feel is more damning.  So my telling them did not garner any 'truth' from my ex and my sons don't seem too affected by the reasons.  They just are busy in their lives and I feel I suffer alone with the torment of the is he, isn't he, thought whatever he is he isn't mine and that is a good thing.  I feel my telling the boys made me look petty and homophobic to my sons.  God it is so crazy making that we have this fallout.  These spouses of ours will now 'own their truth'  Never will my ex own his truth and especially the damage to me.  He will blame me for choosing to divorce him and point to his new grateful wifelet as proof of his straightness and my mistaken and hurtful accusation.  It galls me.  

October 10, 2019 8:48 am  #14

Leah,
   Yes, it galls that we are the ones who must live with the fallout from their actions and their cowardice and their need to blame others--us--for outcomes in their lives that are the result of their own actions.  I don't know whether a certain personality type is more prone to a closeted and secret life, or whether a closeted and secret life warps the personality, but in the end it doesn't much matter to us, as we are the ones who end up bearing the consequences of their choices.  At best, people think we should "let it go," "get past it" or "put it in the past," as if our experience were of little consequence.  At worst, we end up looking petty, or unforgiving, fixated on the past--or just plain wrong, and therefore either crazy or vindictive. 
   I know now that this is the reality, and although I find it unfair, and occasionally feel a volcanic anger over that, for the most part, except with one friend, don't speak about my anger.  I try to figure out my responses to those who want to deal out the "get over it" card to me, and get on with building a new life.  To be invalidated, to have my experience invalidated and the far-reaching consequences of what my ex did to me minimized, evokes in me a self that I don't like, so I am finding, as I go along, that in order not to be that person, I am having to drop former friends who express that position. 

October 10, 2019 3:04 pm  #15

"At best, people think we should "let it go," "get past it" or "put it in the past," as if our experience were of little consequence.  At worst, we end up looking petty, or unforgiving, fixated on the past--or just plain wrong, and therefore either crazy or vindictive."

As you said in another post (paraphrase) - it's all so easy when it's theoretical and not happening to you.

I often wonder how they would feel and how the tune would change having 10,20, more, years of their life stolen from them by a lying, abusive, manipulator. Having their children's lives broken. Having the reality of their lives turned into psuedo reality TV fodder.

Oohc, you're so right. Compromising your relationship with your son is costing you. I hope with resolving this issue, more peace will come your way.

October 10, 2019 3:48 pm  #16

OOHC, you are so articulate with it all.  I hope you write about this.  I do think that 'other self' needs expression.  Unpleasant as she may be, she deserves to be heard.  ROAR!!!!   That volcanic rage at the insensitivity that our PC society is showing could do with an outlet and make people take note that this is not just a crazy petty issue.  So many more petty aspects of life are being honoured in ways that validate experiences, why not ours.  God I do hate the irony of us all being victims of homophobia and yet we cannot speak out against it with out actually being labeled with the same!  Weird, just weird. 

October 10, 2019 3:49 pm  #17

"I often wonder how they would feel and how the tune would change having 10,20, more, years of their life stolen from them by a lying, abusive, manipulator. Having their children's lives broken. Having the reality of their lives turned into psuedo reality TV fodder."

YES this too!  That is the kicker always walk a mile in someone else's shoes....etc...

Last edited by Leah (October 10, 2019 3:49 pm)

October 10, 2019 5:38 pm  #18

I've written a memoir, not about this, that was a finalist for a national prize.  In fact, I was engaged on a second memoir, on gender ("Not that Kind of Woman" was its working title), for which I'd been awarded a sabbatical leave, when my husband threw the trans crap into the fan. 
   So naturally I've thought about writing about this.  My dilemma in doing that, however, is two fold.  One, I very much don't want to give my ex that much space in my life, and writing about it means I would think about nothing else for the period of time I was writing; and two, I find that when I do talk to people, they know so very little that I have to back fill like a heavy equipment operator.  Then the writing task becomes how do you say it, what form do you give it, how much background is necessary, is it better to write from the experience only and ignore the theoretical and the medical/psychological.  
   I have found that writing here and in a couple of other forums allows me to say what I need to, and to feel that what I know and say can be of use to others. 

October 11, 2019 1:16 am  #19

Yes. I feel that my writing about it does give him space and airplay in a way that can be detrimental to my mental health, but also the writing gives me clarity and helps me to sort out some of the things in my head that come from a life with a liar who always dismissed my feelings and perceptions of our marriage.  It is a slow process of trusting myself to actually use my voice to say what is true for me.  It often comes out as the rage you describe so well.  I feel like I am a bit obsessive at times in my focus on it and stepping away is the best thing for me at times.  Maybe in time you can use your obviously high-level talent and skills to bring this out in a way that is useful to a broader audience.  I haven't found the books available very helpful. 

October 11, 2019 8:19 am  #20

"the writing gives me clarity and helps me to sort out some of the things in my head that come from a life with a liar who always dismissed my feelings and perceptions of our marriage."

I feel the same way, but to craft a memoir requires a different sort and degree of attention, and I'm not sure whether I could engage the challenges of form and craft on their own. 

I did find "Sex Changes" helpful, early on, as it, like the stories told here, validated my experience and revealed that my now-ex's behavior wasn't unique.

Board footera