OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 23, 2019 9:53 am  #1

My anger

I've been on this message board for well over a year, and most of the time I'm doing what I can day by day ... right now I am not in a good place emotionally.  I'm in a very, very bad place.

I'm in the middle of trying to navigate my divorce, and it's like I just have to get through it ... and it enrages me so much I can't deal.  I had to get away from my husband, so I am right now in an apartment where I have no real life friends nearby -- and there's nothing to distract me from my rage and loneliness and isolation.

The process of trying to deal with my lawyer -- I feel like, I can't fire him now, I have no money to hire someone new and I've got too much sunk into this and just want it to resolve, but he doesn't seem to pay attention to the things I try to tell him.  If I send him an e-mail that's short and sweet, he doesn't get sufficient detail, but if I send him a longer and more detailed e-mail he only skims it.  There have been times when I've been really, really explicit with him "I am not going to agree to x,y,z and I'm not even going to negotiate it" and then he'll forward me a chain of e-mails a month later where he's actually just given it away.

My husband took some proceeds of an investment that belongs half to me.  He just took them the instant the money hit the account and transferred them to another account only he can access or see.  There are some joint expenses of this investment that we should have paid out of those proceeds, but I don't want him doing it out of his private account -- because in the past when he transfers money out of the joint account, it always turns out he's doing something he's hiding from me.  So I know he's up to some shit here, and I e-mail him that he is to return this money to me immediately, and instead of just acknowledging what's happening ... he places conditions on it, like I have to negotiate with him to get MY OWN MONEY.  And the next thing I know, his bitch lawyer sends my lawyer an e-mail accusing me of an "angry rant" because it's a well-known proven fact that I'm trying to steal his money and stiff him on these other expenses.

And I can't handle my rage at all of them.  My husband.  His lawyer.  My lawyer.  The whole fucked up system.

I have gashes in my scalp along my hairline because I forget myself and discover that I'm clawing at my scalp and pulling my hair, especially at night while I"m asleep, but even during daylight hours when I'm just walking down the street in public ... I realize I'm digging my fingernails into my own scalp.  In public.  Like a crazy woman.

Worst of all is that I know 24 years of a false reality left me so crippled in terms of being able too hold my emotions in check, that when my husband's bitch of a lawyer tries to gaslight me by pretending I'm just a crazy lady trying to rip my husband off ... everybody believes her and not me.  Because I really am crazy.  Just look at me.

But in reality, he's stealing from me and nobody is saying it out loud.  It's easier to speculate that I'm likely to be trying to steal from him.  And yet you can look at the bank statement and see, he took my money.

August 23, 2019 10:20 am  #2

Re: My anger

You're doing the best you can in a situation designed to beat you down.  
    I'm not a lawyer, but when you say your lawyer has given something away, I assume that he's made this an offer as part of negotiations, rather than actually giving it away--because you would have to sign on an agreement, yes?  
  If your stbx is stealing funds from you, I wonder if you might look into hiring a forensic accountant.  That's more money, of course, just like getting a new lawyer would be.  I think it's important to be able to communicate with and trust your lawyer, because then you can let the lawyer handle the negotiations with your spouse (and his lawyer), instead of communicating directly with your stbx.  If you don't feel heard, is it possible to say this to your lawyer?  

It sucks.  It well and truly sucks.  All of it.    You need to do what you can to get through it.  It helps if you have friends you can rant to, or a therapist to help you with strategies you can use.   Remember that the court doesn't care about crazy; it cares about evidence.  And there is evidence that your stbx is helping himself to joint marital property.  

Sorry you are in the middle of what is a horrible, horrible stage in divorcing.

Edited to add:  Meanwhile, cut your nails short and wear a hat when you can.  I had a student who has that condition in which you pick at your scalp and pull your hair out, and that was something she did.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (August 23, 2019 10:32 am)

August 23, 2019 10:32 am  #3

"Giving stuff away" was just a figure of speech, meaning I'd told him I would not agree to something ... and a month later he offers it up to the other side.  It leaves me in an impossible position, because if I make him correct his offer, it sounds like we are not negotiating in good faith, that we are making offers and then taking them back arbitrarily.  My husband was accused of doing exactly that by the first mediator ... which is why he's particularly eager to portray us as doing it.  So it really compromises me when I see my lawyer making offers that I explicitly told him not to offer.

I do have a forensic accountant on retainer, but things have to go step by step here and it's premature.  Besides, I don't need any more proof.  I have the bank statement that shows the money hit the account and he promptly transferred it out.  He is pretending he needs to keep it so he can pay the proper expenses, but I know him and I know if he has that money in a different account, it means he's planning on doing something he doesn't want me to see.

The investment in question is a vacation condo that pretty much breaks even, for the most part, and we are able to use it 14 days per year for our own use.  We owe a mortgage payment each month.  My husband happened to mention in an e-mail on July 25 that we were late on the July mortgage payment and the August payment would soon come due.  But, as I looked at the account, we'd received income for July that was plenty enough to have covered the mortgage.  So he was stringing the creditors along and using the money for some other purpose.  When he took the August money out of the account, I got worried.

He and his bitch lawyer are insinuating that I am opposed to paying the mortgage out of these proceeds, and that's not the issue at all.  The issue is, it's a joint obligation and a joint investment and if he's using a separate account and I can't see it, then I have no assurance that he's using the money to pay the mortgage.  Because that's what he did in July.

I am not the one in this family who steals.  It sends me up a wall when the bitch lawyer insinuates that I am trying to scam my husband in some way.

August 23, 2019 12:03 pm  #4

I know the feeling of being had. Your STBXH is in deep doodoo for doing this in the middle of a divorce. If you haven’t already, gather all your evidence asap, including going to the financial institution. The next step is filing a police report. They won’t do anything at this point, but it’s important to record financial malfeasance with the authorities. Break this joint account into two. Have half the income go into one account for you & the other for STBXH. There’s lot of advice on google how to protect yourself financially during a divorce. I read up on that and laws for my jurisdiction.

I did this because my lawyer was great in giving me ideas on how to get a fair settlement, but played dirty lawyer tricks elsewhere.  They did not answer emails for a month. Desperate me kept sending them. I was charged for her reading all my desperate where are you emails.   I learned not to involve them unnecessarily. They know you are going through a rough time and emotions are heightened.  That equals lots more billable hours. I wouldn’t talk to his attorney either. Again, dirty lawyer tricks. I would email her if you have anything to discuss vis a vis the divorce, contact my attorney. Never contact me again. Her reading that will cost your STBXH billable attorney time.  Good!

I kept any email/texts/calls  to STBXH to the bare minimum. Trouble making spouses like to rile you up into saying something you may regret. Lawyers live for this to hike up those billable hours. Mine charged $350/hr.

My crazy spouse liked to create drama as part of his daily life. It felt good for me to ignore him.

In California, you can fire your lawyer and get your retainer returned. You can file your own form to do it at superior court. The new one will pick up where the other left behind. If you do this, have another one ready to take over immediately.

I know you know all this, but want to give you support. Divorce is hard with a normal spouse. With a disordered, nasty one, it is a nightmare.

I survived my GIDXHs nuttier self during divorce. I know you will too. Do self-care and sending you good thoughts.

Last edited by MJM017 (August 23, 2019 12:47 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

August 23, 2019 1:10 pm  #5

It takes a busload of strength.    In my area all accounts must be listed on the disclosure papers...  debts, mortgages.  etc.     My area is big on 50/50..    If  a mortgage is due   i would think you pay the whole thing if you ing were paying the entire thing before  or half if half was being paid before.     If he has private accounts not declared  with or without income coming in and they are not listed ...I would think any lawyer worth his salt would  act to correct that.    

Why these spouses can't maintain status quo during the divorce is beyond me.  I maintained all bills during my 2 year divorce (years in hell on earth).    People thought I was crazy paying my GXs bills  (hotels, sex toys etc).. status quo as I was always did for decades..

I will try to add a few words of encouragement....

He is entitled to half of things.. he is also entitled to half the debt.    
Any hidden accounts of his need to be declared ... if he did not list them any lawyer worth his salt would request his lawyer for them else have he would have them investigated.   

One way I found also...  when trying to deal with these lawyers, an insane spouse  etc was to do nothing..  put the latest issue in the not my problem bucket.. just follow my routine ..       Not saying that will last or is wise but give 
yourself a break from the anger for awhile.  Do not take on everything at once.   It was an eye opener to me to watch her as I was always the problem solver.  But TGT is a problem we did not create.

There is an end , unseen, but there.. it cannot go on forever.   In my case the courts wanted the divorce off the books... (settle or set a trial date)...which forced both lawyers into a room with her.   

Wishing you courage, strength, and stocism.  Prayers and blessings.

Last edited by Rob (August 23, 2019 1:52 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 23, 2019 2:30 pm  #6

One of the things I decided was I would never have a male lawyer

Sending you warm vibes Walkby...is there nobody you can call for moral support?

KIA KAHA                       

August 23, 2019 5:08 pm  #7

I'd love a good hit man, but I suppose that's frowned upon.

August 23, 2019 6:44 pm  #8

You might also consider asking the court if they can transfer management of the property to you along with the money to do it if he's mishandling the funds. At least then, you're in charge of distribution and he doesn't have access to the money.

August 23, 2019 8:03 pm  #9

Whirligig wrote:

You might also consider asking the court if they can transfer management of the property to you along with the money to do it if he's mishandling the funds. At least then, you're in charge of distribution and he doesn't have access to the money.

W, That is a great idea! It’s fair and calms down this part of the negotiations for all.

Walk- The key to a less painful divorce is to know when to sit still and when to stand your ground.  Self-care in abundance is always needed.

I know how difficult things get.  Sometimes it helps to get therapy twice a week if you are able. Going through a divorce was the most stressful and awful time of my life. I don’t think I’m the only one here who feels that way. 

This too shall pass.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

August 24, 2019 8:19 am  #10

Here's the big issue.  I know I can ask the court for stuff.  I don't get a chance to appear in court until November 5.  The problem I have is that my husband knows perfectly well that by the time November rolls around, this particular outrage is going to be eclipsed by the next ten outrages.  I'm already seething with rage because he cut off all my money in June and July, knowing I wouldn't have a support order in place until August.  

So I had to live on credit cards, and when my lawyer was drawing up the support stipulation  I told him I needed my cc's paid down to zero because the amount of support is only enough to pay my ongoing expenses.  My lawyer instead agreed to "reserve" that issue.  So that's for November.

The system isn't designed to enforce my rights when it comes to amounts this low.  I have rights.  But, it costs more to enforce those rights than I'll get back, and the claim that my husband can be made to pay my costs is laughably toothless.

And, it all comes back to the original sin, that he can hide money from me and any legal recourse I have is toothless and meaningless, because the hearing isn't in place to resolve issues like this -- it's a hearing to formalize my existing support hearing. 

My anger comes from this: the original sin, that he hid finances from me and stole from me to pay for thousands and thousands of dollars siphoned off to prostitutes, in addition to taking money and using it to maintain property he now claims is his separate premarital property.  All of it stems from the fact that he was cheating on me.  I can't escape that and just focus on the finances, and the only thing the system is set up to deal with is finances.  

I end up sounding like a crazy woman trying to get lawyers to understand this: he claims "we" are overspending but he has started managing all community finances from an account I am not named on, so I don't know what he's doing.  And the lawyers don't get why that's a trick.  I will ask my husband why our expenses exceed cashflow, and he'll just list a few big expenses verbally.  I'll say I need to see bank statements, and he'll say "Really?  What would you like to know?" and then he'll just tell me stuff, but I don't get to see the statements or trace the money.  

The first time I ever saw my own bank statement, I saw the reason why he'd worked so hard to prevent me from seeing my own bank statements.  The pattern of cash withdrawals, and the pattern of large cash transfers to another account.  That's why he wasn't sharing our bank statements with me.  Those two things.

I want my own lawyer, at least, to understand this is why we don't trust my husband with money and no oversight.

Board footera