OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 22, 2019 8:42 am  #1

Wedding

I have a wedding to attend Sunday 9/1
Normally I go with my husband and obviouosly not going with him
Best friend said she would go now making an issue saying she does not like the grooms family knowing how uncomfortable I am going alone so alone it is
Have to rent a room so I dont have to drive home at night means having someone get me from my hotel to tag along tag along to the reception and taken back to my hotel
Sitting with two other couples who are happy all while being angry and sad and jaded
The we cant find a sitter that is why he is not with me storyline 
Rings I have to wear to fulfill that story
Just not wanting to be around happy people right now
I dont like to dance to begin with so I get to be there sitting at the table waiting for this all to be over with so I can go back to my room and just go to bed and pretend the whole day never happened at all

August 22, 2019 9:23 am  #2

Re: Wedding

Can you try to look at this as if it were a business event and your goal is to mingle and make contacts? Perhaps you will meet someone with a common interest and even if it is for only this event it could be better than being alone with your thoughts. 

From what you have written about your job I think you have the skills to pull this off. 

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

August 22, 2019 9:34 am  #3

Abby
I could try but it is not a business event so my mind knows this and it is hard to override your heart to trick your mind. 
Just one of the many events I will be at alone so I guess I have to start getting use to it

August 22, 2019 10:47 am  #4

If you have decided that you have to go to this wedding, then maybe this can help. 

I have found it helpful through this whole ordeal to list things in two categories: those things I have control over, like tasks to do, and those things I have no control over.   I tackle them separately.

So, can you make a list of those things that are in your control, tasks you just have to figure out how to do?  Like, reserve the hotel room, contact someone to ask if you can hitch a ride with them from the hotel to the reception, and someone who will serve as your "buddy" while you're there, someone you can check in with, even if you don't sit with them?  Those are tasks, something you can take control of.  Taking control will help you feel more in control.

As for the things you have no control over--like your friend finking out and your husband's wigging out--those things you have to confront another way.  Yes, it's intolerable to live in someone else's closet and to live a lie in public; it's especially difficult to go to a wedding when your own marriage is falling apart. 

Maybe you could reframe things a bit in a way that will help you get through the event.  There are likely to be other people at that wedding for whom a wedding will also be difficult: the recently widowed, for example, or those whose spouses are cheating, who have just divorced for reasons that aren't their fault, or are in a marriage suffering domestic abuse.  Your situation is different than theirs, but I guarantee you won't be alone in seeing the wedding as a challenge. 

As for the lies you have to tell to keep your husband's activities secret, the fact is that as long as you are determined to continue to live with your husband you will be faced with this problem, so you will have to develop a script for yourself and a repertoire of phrases to cover over the truth. You don't have to over-share, either: in this case, a simple "we had problems getting a sitter" will suffice.  

August 22, 2019 7:23 pm  #5

I went to several weddings alone.
It was season..sometimes we have to be the lone wolf.
Good food, happy people.  Its good for us in a way to see normal heterosexual people getting married ..gives one hope.

I had a better time at them alone than sitting with a cheating wife.

Go and try to have a good time..

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 22, 2019 8:02 pm  #6

I think OOHC has some good advice for you here. I would also say that there is no shame in cutting out a little early if it starts hurting. Having a back up activity like a nearby spa or a movie you want to see can help alleviate some of the pain with something enjoyable too. Go on a nice stroll for some fresh air if money is tight. Window shop. Try and look at this as a break from your 10 by 10! If you still aren't feeling it, make a suitable appearance and bow out if or when you want.

Edited to add that if leaving the venue isn't an option, maybe bring a good book and find a quiet spot with some free wedding nibbles. You can always reappear later after you've taken a needed break from the festivities.

Last edited by Whirligig (August 22, 2019 8:09 pm)

August 22, 2019 10:13 pm  #7

Can you bail out on this wedding? It would make me feel more isolated being at a happy wedding when you have issues at home.

Last edited by MJM017 (September 1, 2019 5:05 am)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

August 23, 2019 8:25 am  #8

I cant bail out on the wedding. I will just have to book my hotel like pulling off a bandaid fast and just follow through with my plan. It just also sucks because i am away from my daughter a whole day and night and i am never away that long from her so its added stress. And that makes me angry because had he not been this way i wouldnt have to go through all this to JUST attend a wedding when i could just go with him and go home afterwards!

August 23, 2019 10:09 am  #9

Sorry SS1979. The recent family gathering I spoke of above was a funeral. One relative asked how my husband was. He didn’t know we had divorced and he passed away. I told them he passed. The other relatives believe the GIDHX was wronged by me though they know about his abuse (I showed a few his official police record and arrest reports/restraining orders - thought they were normal people ... guess not.) Sorry if this is a repeat — my lawyer told me to get off FB during the divorce. GIDXH didn’t & slandered me. He was a great liar and manipulative. 

I put up with stony face relatives. I couldn’t get out of this funeral & have a wedding to attend next month. I want to bail but can’t.

I feel for you. These spouses embarrass us, lie to us and about us, ruin family relations, steal our money,  cause us extreme stress- while the changed spouse is loved and/or a hero. Amity Buxton said it somewhere on this site that we are the victims of the victims of homophobia.

Hope you can make this trip somewhat palatable. These things aren’t fun.

Last edited by MJM017 (August 23, 2019 10:11 am)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

August 23, 2019 12:29 pm  #10

Deleted.

Last edited by Lynne (October 3, 2020 5:45 pm)

Board footera