OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 22, 2019 7:21 am  #1

The brain is a wondrous thing!

It's interesting to me that, now that separation due to TTT has been agreed upon and implemented, I'm remembering so many specific things that I had endured over the years.  I don't mean that I had actually forgotten them -- I had just pushed them away because they were unpleasant and painful.

I feel like my brain was trying to protect me from too much pain then, and even now these memories are not rushing back to overwhelm me, but are politely and patiently waiting outside, entering one at a time.

Or perhaps the memories were always hovering nearby, but I kept pushing them away because letting them in would mean having to deal with this dysfunctional marriage, making decisions, making big painful changes.  But now that that's been done in one fell swoop (thanks to TTT), the other things are saying, "Yes, and remember me?"  There's no benefit to suppressing them now. There are no painful decisions to make because of them; it's already been done.

And although I try not to spend too much time on this (unwinding the skein, as CL says), it is actually quite a relief to have quiet revelations, and to see things falling into place and making a pattern.  All of the "inexplicables" over the years finally make sense.

Today I'm thankful for this.

August 22, 2019 10:00 am  #2

Re: The brain is a wondrous thing!

I am happy for you, DP!  That’s how it seems to be going for me too.  It knows which challenges it needs to take on and goads me into self care.

My  brain and, if I may say, higher self is wise and patient.   Take care!!

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

Board footera