OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 17, 2019 12:40 pm  #11

Re: Elizabeth Smart father announcement

OOHC, I'm not sure if my original intent actually came through in my response. I didn't feel you were attacking the LDS faith. I meant to pay respect to your lived experience while indicating it has not been my own. I have friends who feel as you do and respect their reasons for that. Their feelings and faith (or lack thereof) are their own.

To clarify, I consider my primary relationship to God to be a child of God (Whirligig as an individual) and not as the role of wife and mother. I view marriage as an equal partnership and yes complementary but my understanding of what that means may not be yours (or anyone else's for that matter). Again, that may be because I am still single and also because I never had that dynamic in my family. I argue with men in my family in private and public and never had that unequal dynamic in my church attendance. It certainly doesn't mean it doesn't exist because I know it does. It just doesn't inform my individual faith.

I'm probably still making a hash of my explanation but my original intent was to say that people will twist things in religion to suit their own purpose to justify behavior. And it's easy to do. I think that's actually true whatever faith tradition someone belongs to including those that aren't Christian in nature. A perversion of science, even, can serve that purpose and often does as fewer people belong to organized religions. If someone wants to do mental gymnastics or assign blame to avoid deeper examination of their own behavior and character they will. 

Like OMOTF that idea of agency and responsibility to choose and to treat others as individuals worthy of that same right seems basic to me. He violated Lois's ability to choose for herself. That makes me sad for her and angry with him. He's still excusing himself and blaming his now former faith and because of that many people are giving him a pass. How convenient for him! I feel disgusted with his self-serving letter.

OOHC, I appreciate your perspective on the forums and hope your healing journey is fruitful. Your comments have been helpful for mine. It's hard work doing self-examination but I'm grateful that I am capable of it. My faith has also been a comfort to me in this. I have a complicated relationship with God so this has been a bit of a shock to me, honestly. I hope you have something to give you comfort, whatever that may be, and I am sorry for the terrible pain you've experienced. I hope better days lie ahead for all of us.

August 17, 2019 4:56 pm  #12

So many great posts on this. I wonder if Ed Smart’s announcement was all about the money? Utah is a community property state, with the exception of serious fault by one of the spouses. The wronged spouse is entitled to more than 50% of common assets earned during marriage and plenty of alimony.

Ed Smart may be testing the legal waters by ‘accidentally’ releasing this letter to wriggle out of Lois proving him of serious fault.  I believe he’s laid out his legal defense; his religion made him marry against his will or restrained his common sense. Gay marriage, now legal, was not when he married Lois. He was cheated by religion and government.  He’s the victim.

Lois is a money grubbing, insensitive, unfeminine witch when it’s discovered she filed divorce papers citing serious fault with proof of Ed’s homosexual affair(s).  My god, he loved her. What else does she want or deserve?

He’s a piece of trash. Hope she bleeds him dry.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

August 18, 2019 8:17 am  #13

Whirligig,
   You didn't make "a hash" of your explanation at all!  I think what you say about people twisting religion to justify their own behavior is exactly right.  A form of "the devil can quote scripture."  
    In fact, after your explanation I thought long and hard about what you'd written in response to that first post of mine, and now think it would have been better for me to focus on my own experience rather than to speak in generalities about women's second class citizenship.
   It is indeed hard work to self-examine.  I try to do it, but am only too aware of how easy it is to justify and rationalize my own position.  I'm often wracked by doubt about my conclusions, and unsure how to tell if what I do conclude can be trusted.  I guess you could say my self-examination also requires examining my self-examination!  I'm not always grateful to be able to do that work, but I do believe it's necessary if I want to hold myself to account, and live an honest life. (And I hope this doesn't make me sound like a self-serving person, and demonstrate self-deception rather than honesty!) 

August 18, 2019 1:19 pm  #14

Deleted

Last edited by a_dads_straight_journey (August 18, 2019 1:23 pm)

August 19, 2019 1:00 am  #15

OOHC, I think you are a fine person who is doing the best you can under challenging circumstances. If I may say, your part in this is being honest and trusting. Clues about these spouses true orientation are often subtle to nonexistent during courtship and early marriage.

The onus is on the LGBTQ+ partner pretending to be straight. He should be wracked with guilt, not you.

I’m a lifelong Roman Catholic, with a few lapses. We are losing members by the truckload due to this child abuse scandal. The church hierarchy are like the Ed Smart coming out letter: forced into it. Kind of taking the blame while really kind of not.

I’m not a Mormon, but I know faith can be a great healer. It’s difficult when the faith that sustains you can possibly bring you down too.

Last edited by MJM017 (August 19, 2019 8:31 am)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

August 19, 2019 2:17 pm  #16

OOHC
your analysis of the Smart letter is stellar.  I wonder if there’s a public forum where it could be published as an editorial. 

Recently someone used the word cowardice here to describe the GID spouse.  The courage they are espoused to have in the media when they come out infuriates me.  It’s equivalent to the cowardice of a soldier deserting in combat being recognized with the Medal of Honor after lives were lost due to his cowardice.

Imagine that in print on the editorial page of the New York Times or Washington Post.

ADSJ

August 19, 2019 3:32 pm  #17

Maybe the SSN would do it as a blog entry.  Have to think about that.  On My Own Two Feet made some amazing points about the situation, too.

August 21, 2019 6:40 am  #18

Thank you OOHC, Whirligig and OMOTF for your analysis and comments flagging this up.  I have often wondered as a Mormon how much of this is the church's fault.  I think the church does not intentionally make women second class citizens, but by glorifying our role as mothers and wives as our highest good or calling in life it does create problems around equality and independence as the roles are very traditionally held.  I was dismissed as a seminary teacher once I got pregnant as the stake pres thought I should be at home and resting!  I didn't have a choice there.  And if that isn't some patriarchal bullshit, then I'm not sure what qualifies.  Literally until recently the temple ordinances outlined a woman's path to godhood was ONLY via her husband.  A single woman could not reach that state.  So I'm afraid Mormon doctrine is clearly NOT empowering to women as it does limit their options in life.  Being a single, childless Mormon woman is to be a second class citizen for sure in that culture.  I was a missionary and temple married, and a scripture chase champion haha.  I'm certainly pissed off at Mormonism for its unremittingly inflexible attitudes towards sexuality full stop which not only result in gay suicides, but closeted spouses.  There is responsibility there.  IMHO. 

August 21, 2019 7:54 pm  #19

I was too flippant in this post, which I've deleted.  All of this is so sensitive, and I was not considerate of the complexity of everyone's feelings here.  Best to all.

Last edited by OnMyOwnTwoFeet (August 22, 2019 12:29 pm)

August 21, 2019 9:41 pm  #20

Leah,
 I was so hoping you would weigh in.  Glad you did.

Board footera