OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 15, 2019 9:17 am  #1

Tired

I use to think I was tired before all of this but I dont think I knew then what was Tiredness 
I am tired because I feel like all I ever do is serve others for one reason or another. I am a mother. I am a board member of a veteran charity. I am a treasurer of a political campaign. I am an employee. That use to be manageable because I had support from my husband. What is funny is that he thinks he can still provide support. It is not the same and he does not get that. I do not want support from who he has become. 
I am tired because I feel like a burden. I dont ever have anything positive to talk about with my friends so I feel like I should just stop talking because I am to the point I am tired of hearing myself talk or seeing myself type. 
I am tired of feeling like I do so much for others but I dont feel like anyone checks in on me who knows. I know everyone has their own lives and I am not the center of their lives but I feel like I am drowning and no one is offering me a raft. I dont know if I would take it if they did to be honest. 
I am tired of being angry all the time, of having a short fuse, of having to find these moments alone to cry when I am not around my daughter
I am tired of feeling like I am living so many lives, the life at home, life at work, life around people who know and those who dont, life of having to pretend I am ok and the life when I dont 
I am tired of being alone every night in my room when everyone else is in their separate rooms each night. 
I am tired from plain ole life 

August 15, 2019 9:37 am  #2

Re: Tired

SS79 I’m sorry your are facing so much at once and understand how you feel, especially not wanting help from the person they became. 2014 was a year for me like you describe. I’ve concluded that even under the most amicable circumstances divorce/separation is a 30-40% hit on parenting workload without all THE emotional overhead of the straight spouse mindwarping experience. I gave up my volunteer work and still haven’t resumed it yet to keep the load light.

The folks here get it and support you.

Wishing you continued strength during this exhausting season of life,

ADSJ

August 15, 2019 10:17 am  #3

SS,

We get it.   I used to take (and still try to now) self care days.

It could be a day doing nothing or it could be day working in the yard. Anything.

Even the most supportive family or friends have their own lives and cant be there for us all the time.

What I discovered in this is; if I dont take care of me, who will? Definitely not my cheating spouse.
And my kids need a sane,stable, unbroken dad..   

Do not beat yourself up. Be kind to yourself...find time to take a break from everything and do something that you like. 

TGT is tiresome for sure..

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 15, 2019 12:25 pm  #4

Hi SS,
TGT is so draining!  It's a trauma, and after the initial shock wore off, I remember being so tired. I felt like I was going through the death of someone very close to me.   It's natural to grieve, feel down, and worn down.  I also went through some pretty significant anxiety for awhile.  It's a lot to process and figure out.  Then, there's all the complex things that you have to deal with in daily life as a result, like telling or not telling.  People not really understanding even if they mean well.  And, all the work it takes to move on with life.  But, it does get better with time!  

I had to allow myself to feel and take a time out when needed and not allow myself to feel guilty for needing to care for myself.  It also helped me to think about what all I was grateful for and reminding myself that I won't always feel that way.

I hope you can lighten your load for awhile, maybe take time off from your positions at the charity and campaign?  Everyone at certain points in life needs to care for themselves so they can continue to give to others.  But, I understand that's easier said then done. 

Like Rob mentioned, be kind to yourself and find time for yourself!  I remember not having any interest in things I used to like, I was very depressed, but if I made myself do those things, by the end of it, I was glad I did.  Eventually, it helped me detach from what was going on at home.  

Board footera