OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2020 10:16 pm  #11

Re: Bisexual wife - straight husband - advice!

Hi Julian, 

I understand. I guess I come here looking for positivity and success stories and they’re few and far between. I learned about my husband’s bisexuality after being together 27 years. He only recently came to terms with it himself. I questioned him and that’s why he revealed it. He never intended to reveal it at all because he thought that it would end our relationship. 

March 31, 2020 10:46 pm  #12

Yeah, I used to believe that of my now-ex, too: that he had only "just figured it out."  Turned out it wasn't true.
I've seen so many people like you come here in the four years I've been on these boards.  I came here, too, wondering if it could "work." 
    The only reason we have this asinine "strategies for MOMs" "make it work" section is because of someone who refused to acknowledge that hers wasn't going to work.  And now she's decided it isn't, and her posts are probably the source of your "it's so negative" comment.  
   And yes I'm violating "the rule" of being "positive."  
   I've always believed that walling off this area was enabling denial.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (March 31, 2020 10:50 pm)

April 1, 2020 12:05 pm  #13

Hi OutOfHisCloset, 

I guess I’m personally just not that concerned about the future of my relationship. Maybe this isn’t the place for me because most of what I see here doesn’t fit my situation. There are many success stories. They just aren’t posting in a place such as this. They are just living their lives. 

April 1, 2020 2:58 pm  #14

If you have such a good relationship and aren't concerned about the future of it then yes, good question - why are you here TangledOil?

April 1, 2020 3:56 pm  #15

TangledOil wrote:

The negativity in this thread is depressing. 
The negativity here is only depressing if you see every comment or bit of advice as directed solely at your own situation. Some of it is directed at whoever will listen to those who think theirs is the only answer to the Mindfuck. The MOM board was invaluable when I needed to express my thoughts and emotions "in a safe area" where I was assured I wouldn't be 'got at' by people whose journey and vision was different to mine. And I was able to easily put the anti-MOM remarks where they belonged too
 Around 85% of bisexual people end up with opposite gender straight people.
I haven't read that statistic but if it's true then 15% of bisexuals don't end up with straight people but in the end....does it really matter? I kept the statistic *a percentage of MOMs divorce after 3 years" at the back of my mind and I did indeed decide after 3 years that something had to change....BUT there are people here who decided not to part. And yes the 2 couples I'm thinking of no longer post here. Their response to the negativity they may have felt was to not log onto the Forum. 
I think it can work. It doesn’t always work, but marriages in general don’t always work.  

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

April 1, 2020 4:20 pm  #16

I likely won’t be here any longer. I wish you all the best. 

April 1, 2020 5:56 pm  #17

straight is straight.

wishing you all the best.

April 2, 2020 11:27 pm  #18

Tackleberry wrote:

How do we incorporate her “bisexuality” into our sex life together without having an open relationship? We’ve talked about watching sensual lesbian television shows together like the L Word and I have also expressed to her that I would be willing to fantasize with her about other women, or to incorporate more bisexual fantasy into our love making.

But...I just feel lost and my head is a mess. Any advice or help on how to make this work would be so so appreciated! Thank you!!

Hi Tackle   My personal advice would be to take some time to focus on yourself first (the bi bomb years into a marriage is quite a whirlwind, isn't it??)....Bad timing now with COVID, of course...but once the dust settles, maybe you should seek out a good couples therapist who has experience with mixed-orientation marriages. I know there are several Reddit groups, but I'm hesitant to refer anyone there because what I've found (overwhelmingly, unfortunately) are mostly threads from bisexuals lamenting monogamy...You may find some positive, helpful threads from monogamous couples in the mix, though.

Best wishes. Take care of yourself. <3

Last edited by Julian_Stone (April 3, 2020 6:19 am)

April 5, 2020 11:39 pm  #19

Tackleberry & TangledOil (if you’re still around), Julian has some good points. There’s nothing wrong with bisexuality. If a spouse comes to you with this new information with a clear conscience, you, the straight spouse, has the right to be here for support if you want to work keeping your marriage.

There are sections on this site for straight spouses who want to leave marriages or have left. Post there if that’s you.

It’s not right to chase people off this board if you are uncomfortable with their decision.  It helps no one to do that.

I find Reddit boards to be a mixed bag with emotional issues. I frequent the hobby & craft boards.  Take care. I hope you find the support you want.

Last edited by MJM017 (April 5, 2020 11:40 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

April 9, 2020 5:38 pm  #20

MJM017, 

I just popped on here to thank you for your words. Deep down I knew my husband wasn’t completely straight almost since the very beginning nearly 28 years ago. We are in a really good place right now. I won’t be on here with any frequency because I do find it mostly dreary and negative, but I felt I owed you a thank you for behaving like a neutral party. 

Board footera