OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 8, 2019 7:07 am  #1

Shared Fault?

So my friend since I was 14 and knows all the ins and outs of my relationship before marriage and after said that I have some shared fault in this. I will bullet the why 
*  Because I knew my husband was sexually abused by his step father and I should have demanded he get therapy for that. That if I cannot now believe this change is anythng but linked to that then I should have over the years gave him an ultimatum to get help or I would leave. (We went through a long drawn out civil suit for this and my husband always said that he was the way he was then due to the abuse. At the time it was cross dressing but that it was due to his abuse because if he was a female the abuse would seem less demeaning)  But, now he says that he has always been this way and he felt like that would assist in getting his step father found guilty which I agree to that factor and he still to this day is around kids.  
*  That i FORCED him into things he did not want and should have walked away long ago. FORCED him into marriage (forced was my telling him i REFUSE to get a home with him if we were not married. It is a lot of hassle to go through and no security for me if the home is just in his name. So we got a house. In heinsight it was bad only because to this day I feel like a business aragement. That i FORCED him into having kids when he did not want kids or at least said he did not want kids. (forced was telling him again that I am leaving because we want different things. I signed divorce papers which he tore up. He fabricated this long drawn out story that he told my best friend as he knew i would go right to her that all of these years he said he was pulling out before hand he wasnt and he was worried so he saw a doctor and was told he was sterile. A week or so later in a moment of weakness we had sex and afterwards he told me about the fact that he wasnt really sterile. I got pregnant) 
* That with his history of cross dressing and the one time that he tried birth control pills all of which he told me always was because of his step father that i should have known that it would escalate to this some day 
* That because i was not perfect in the marriage he can sympathize with my plight but I cannot say I have no blame in this at all. 

Thoughts?

August 8, 2019 7:50 am  #2

Re: Shared Fault?

I would be honest with you. Comparing to your's mine story looks dull and simple. Be sure, that your are NOT guilty for anything, what happend here. I don't know, if i could tell that your ex is, i think those people mostly are just sick and disturbed, but it's definitely not your fault. Both of you lived in two different dimensions with multiple points of contact.
I also talked to my counselor about feeling guilty, that i could somehow stimulate my spouse's problems. But he just told me, that it's hard to imagine, how someone could be so powerful to change another's mind. Also he told me that i "didn't have a magic bubble" to see such profound things, that even psychologist may not detect hidden homosexuality if it's locked by several layers of fears. Even if there were signs, that "something is wrong" with your spouse.

Last edited by morpheus (August 8, 2019 7:52 am)

August 8, 2019 9:14 am  #3

Your so-called friend is not acting like a friend  Instead of listening, empathizing, and trying to help, your friend is blaming you for things over which you had no control and which were not your responsibility, and is holding you to a contradictory standard.
    One:  It was not your responsibility to demand that your husband get counseling; nor is the issuing of ultimatums a particularly effective--let alone healthy--way to run a marriage. 
   Two: You actually did lay down a boundary--issue a kind of ultimatum--when you said you would not move in together if you were not married.  But in this instance your friend is telling you deserve blame for actually doing what he blamed you for not doing in Point One.  And you know what?  You didn't "force" your husband to marry you.  He could have said no.  He decided--made the choice--to marry you.  
   Three: Without the knowledge that would provide the context to understand your husband's behavior--an understanding of autogynephilia, for example--you would have no way to predict his future behavior.  You cannot be blamed for not knowing something you didn't and couldn't know you would need to know.  
  Last: To not be perfect in a marriage is in fact normal.  But to say that your imperfection is the same as your husband's actions is to commit the logical flaw of false equivalence.  

You did and do have agency, in that you chose to do some things and not others, and you chose to do them for reasons that seemed to you ethical (not moving in together without marriage), or loving and empathetic and in your husband's best interests at the time (supporting him through his civil suit against his abuser).  

You are absolutely not to blame for anything your husband did or did not do, and you will feel a lot better if you can arrive at a point at which you no longer think that you might have done or not done something to "make" him do this.  

August 8, 2019 9:41 am  #4

OOHC 
With regards to point one as i explained to my friend he did get therapy from various people as court ordered during the process and he was very able to convince a therapist, multiple therapists that he was the way he was due to the abuse, which makes me ask another question. WHICH story is true? The first one he got a therapist to believe OR this new version that in his words I went to this particular therapist because i knew SHE would just give me a letter without question for hormones. That brings a whole different situation to light with me because i think she is unethical. I believe she may be transgendered herself AND she went to some pride event with my husband and other clients. I think she is not unbiased in this but I dont know what to do about that or if i am over reacting. 

Point two:  my friend thinks when my husband speaks of already making sacrifices he speaks of marriage and a child that he never really wanted which i have thought maybe that was the case too but obviously he only did me a diservice for someone he claims to love because here we are 10 years into marriage 20 years together and my life is upside down 

August 8, 2019 9:50 am  #5

I have given up on listening to friends and even some family on any advice in my entire situation... TGT, the divorce, co-parenting and remarriage.

Probably the most valuable principle I’ve been able to adopt is to recognize cognitive dissonance in any situation now, conflicting values, and my own conflicting desires. Once the conflict or dissonance is recognized make hard choices about the path forward ( not easy or quick). For example, the decision to divorce had the most integrity given my ex’s stance on acting on her orientation, but it was heart wrenching and financially painful. Remarriage also involved some financial issues and risking whether my son would act out or integrate ( he seems to be integrating).  But I wanted to finish my life with my current wife and believed giving my children a sense of family would be better than the single life. So far so good.

No one else has to live my life or the consequences of my choices so they have no right to comment or advise. On remarriage, I got to the point with a few friends of not discussing it because they are so cynical on marriage and remarriage. They project their own negativity. 

So, once we are re-stabilized emotionally after the initial shock, we have to rely on our own instincts to go forward.  From what I’ve seen here, everyone seems to know their values and themselves and have good instincts, but got hit with a hurricane.  They have to restabilize, and then resolve many conflicting priorities at significant personal cost to re-establish a life.

SS79 hang in there, hold onto your values, you have identified and faced the conflicting priorities, you will figure this out. 

Wishing you much strength and courage ...

ADSJ

August 8, 2019 10:26 am  #6

With "friends like that........, right?

When we were dating, my ex once told me that when he was a little boy, he liked to dress up in his mom's and sister's clothes. He also felt great shame for it which he attributed to his ultra conservative preacher dad. He also said that it was a long time and and he didn't do that anymore. Now, someone (your friend for example) may feel that I should have known what path my marriage would take, but she would be, simply put, wrong. I had no way of knowing how deep his compulsion to dress was. How could I have possible known? I had no way of knowing he was still dressing and did so during our entire marriage. Nope. This is not on me, and it is not on you. Don't let anyone try to make you think otherwise.

And you didn't force anyone to do anything. It is okay to set boundaries and your spouse was free to walk away or say that he wasn't ready for that kind of commitment and may never be. 

And I will readily admit to not being the perfect wife, cook, house keeper, parent, etc. However, none of my faults justified my spouse changing the dynamics of our marriage the way he did. And your spouse has no right to change that dynamic either just because you also aren't the perfect wife.

StraightSpouse1979 wrote:

At the time it was cross dressing but that it was due to his abuse because if he was a female the abuse would seem less demeaning) 

But I must say.... this is the line from your post that really hit me. Did he really say that? What does he mean by that? Because I hope he doesn't mean the way I am reading it. Certainly abuse on a female is just as demeaning as abuse to a male. 

Anyway SS, are you seeing a therapist? Someone trained in trauma would probably be a better person to talk to than this friend.

August 8, 2019 10:55 am  #7

STIK
I don’t know why he felt had he been a female it would be less humiliating. Maybe there’s an added horror when it’s abuse plus a man  not that a female with a man abusing her isn’t humiliated

August 8, 2019 11:12 am  #8

Stronger,
 I had the same reaction about that line but cut it out of my post.  I thought: what?  Abuse is "less demeaning" when it happens to a woman?  It fits with the crazy logic of autogynephiles who act as if "passive" equals "woman," so if that's the way women are, something that is defined by their capacity to be abused and their suitability for abuse, then it's not "demeaning" to be abused, it's "affirming" of her womanhood.  But it also equally might mean that he might have meant it's more demeaning for a man to be reduced to passivity or be abused because our cultural expectations of men are that they're strong--and to be made a "wuss" is the worst insult.  So who knows?  Who can parse crazy?

StraightSpouse1979.  I'd say if anyone has a right to be angry, it's you, who was apparently tricked into pregnancy by a lie.  Which is not to say you don't love your daughter, only that any idea that you "forced" him into marriage by offering him a choice (marry me or not, but if not, we don't move in together) pales in comparison to being lied to about his ability to father children.  

As to figuring out what story is accurate: you can never know what the truth is, and you won't get it out of him.  For him, as for many of our spouses, the truth changes as it fits what they want or need or believe at the time (it's called "situational truth").  What you can know is that it is a feature of those claiming they're transgendered to change their stories as they go along (just as it with those those who say, "I'm gay.  No, I'm straight.  No, I'm bi-curious.  No, I'm.straight.  No, I'm bi.  No, I'm gay.).  
  All you can do is ask yourself: "Is this situation that I'm in acceptable to me?"  And if the answer is no, and you're not getting any help from your spouse to make it acceptable, then you have to start planning and working toward either getting out or toward how to help make it more acceptable to you--without expecting your spouse to change his ways.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (August 8, 2019 12:56 pm)

August 8, 2019 11:37 am  #9

OOHC
The things he said he wouold do when this first came to light (Wear a sports bra or compression shirt to hide his chest when out in public whether with me or not. We live in a small town so the liklihood he will or already has run into someone this way is plausible. ) He has changed his mind about that in fact he has purchhased (found while snooping in a place that is one of those places he expects I will spy and put them) bras. 
He wouldnt wear foundation when out with me - he does 

He makes me completely uncomfortable with this look, not just his 90s teenager dress style but his chest and the need to wear anything that makes it stand out not make it blend in. He had told me it was one of the unwanted side effects to the estrogen but that was a lie too. He tells me he will never have gender reconstruction surgery but does not understand why i dont believe that to be necessarily true 

August 8, 2019 1:02 pm  #10

What you're seeing is the escalation.  The feminizing works like a drug; their feminizing is like an addiction, and the more they do it, the more they want.  What they said they would never do yesterday, they're doing tomorrow.  Plus you're seeing the escalating need to be validated by others, so they can believe the delusion: he goes out with his co-worker, who is validating him as a woman.  He begins by saying he just wants to wear something at home to feel "comfortable," and then it progresses, until he's wearing women's clothes and make-up in public, and even flaunting the "breasts" he claimed he didn't want.  
  It's what they do. 
  Round and round and round it goes, and where it stops?  I think we all know.

Board footera