OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 1, 2019 6:09 pm  #1

There is another woman living in my home

Hi, this is my first post. From reading some of the  other posts, I'm already grateful not to feel so alone.

I walked out on my husband of 24 years a few months ago. We'd been together since high school. We have a 10 year-old child together.

When my husband started exploring his gender a few years ago, I tried really hard to support him in finding his identity. I read loads of books and articles on other couples who stayed together and was convinced that if anyone could make it, we would. We went shopping together and I bought him gifts of make-up, jewellery and women's clothes including underwear. I tried reversing roles in the bedroom.

As time went on I became increasingly uncomfortable with the changes in our relationship and my husband's appearance. I made an appointment with a therapist because I was starting to worry that I'd reach a point where I could go no further.

As I was going further and further outside my comfort zone, my husband met any requests to talk with anger, silence, twisting my words or with accusations of interrogating, threats to leave, or by packing everything away into the garage (only for it to reappear a few months/weeks/days later), denial... It would take me days to get the courage to try to talk to him and find the least-worst time. We never had a proper discussion about the effects on our marriage and even though I'd often ask how he was doing or felt about a certain situation which he was happy to talk about, he never once asked me how I was doing, what I thought or what I needed. Not once. Though he did often ask "do I look good for you?" I never found a good answer to that question.
He kept telling me how much he loved me, how beautiful I was, how happy I made him, buying me gifts. But I didn't feel loved.

Everything he said he wouldn't do, he just went ahead within weeks. Like wearing dresses and makeup in front of our child with no discussion first, telling our child that they have to keep this a secret, wearing women's clothing out places where we saw my work colleagues, using women's changing rooms in shops...

I put myself under huge pressure to support him, I thought it was what a loving partner should do. Anything less would be unkind or transphobic.
Our child and I were living walking on eggshells, the slightest thing would set off a temper tantrum or threats of violence that were 'jokes' and we had "no sense of humour' or were "oversensitive".

My therapist started asking questions about our relationship and talking about narcissism. I started asking close friends if they ever felt scared of their husbands. It took me another year to really understand that whether he was transgender or not wasn't the real issue, it was just the last straw.
He refused to get help for his temper, gender confusion or for our marriage.

I left with our child.

She is now freely exploring her gender and it's clear that she isn't "just a crossdresser" like she insisted (and I never believed). She is now talking about transitioning.

Months down the road, my problem is that I don't seem to be able to get properly separated. We live some miles apart so I have my own space but we are still co-parenting so going no contact isn't an option. We are trying to be friends for our child's sake. I am trying low contact and grey rock but it results in cries of being ignored or lonely or needing help with something or demanding to know why I'm in a bad mood.
I'm just too nice. What a sucker! I'm also scared of triggering her temper, after all, I'm the bad guy who left.

I'm also really worried for our child who has been put in the position of keeping such a big secret. How are they going to feel if they accidentally out their dad to the family who are extremely conservative? No child should feel responsible for the relationship between other family members.

Our child cries at night because they miss their home and their Dad who is so "lonely and sad" and is "trying to be nice and just wants to be a family again" and "it's all your fault because you left Dad. I hate my life and I hate you".
Poor kid.

Sometimes I feel so lonely. He was my childhood sweetheart and (I believed) best friend. Now all I have left is a moody, nail varnish obsessed, too short skirt wearing, other woman who my husband is in love with, who is living in my home. And I can't tell anyone.

August 1, 2019 6:50 pm  #2

Re: There is another woman living in my home

Here's what I thought, reading your post: Your spouse has weaponized your child against you.  Your spouse is using your concern for your child against you.  Your spouse is also abusing your child by exposing her to his activities and then asking her to "keep our little secret."  

One thing you can do is to neutralize the threat of your child inadvertently revealing the truth to family members by telling the truth to your family yourself.  I know how large that prohibition feels, but that's because you are being and have been manipulated by your spouse.  You are not "outing" your spouse, you are telling your family what is going on in your marriage, and why you have separated.  In fact, you CAN tell someone, and you need to tell someone.  That they desire to live a secret life does not obligate us to keep their secret.  They should not dictate to us what we can and cannot say about our own lives.  Ask yourself this: what happens when your spouse begins to transition?  How secret will it be then? 

Your story sounds so like mine (although my child was in his mid-20s when the trans shit hit the fan), with the breaking of agreed on boundaries, the manipulation, the anger, the pouting, the lack of empathy, the refusal to communicate, the declarations of love that felt as if he were acting from a script about how women talk/feel.  And, on our part, the desire to support, to feel obligated despite our discomfort, the growing discomfort as we saw the amping up and the behavior, and the conclusion that regardless of the gender aspect, our spouses are narcissistic and abusive.

I'm not sure what you mean about not being "able to get properly separated."  Have you visited a lawyer?  Initiated divorce or a separation agreement?

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that you need to stop "trying to be friends."  You do not need to be friends with your stbx.  You need a separation agreement that spells out the custody arrangement.  You need to work with a child advocate who can decide what your spouse can and cannot expose your child to and at what pace, especially if your spouse is on the road to transitioning.  Most importantly, you need to stop thinking of being friends with your spouse in order to parent and replace that idea with parallel parenting.    

August 1, 2019 11:37 pm  #3

Elliecat,

I have no experience with this but reading your story ..it sounds like abuse..   You leaving probably saved your sanity.    
Our kids will say all kind of mean things to us...they really do not know the trauma we went through.  That is ok..  Years from now she will thank you for getting her away from an abnormal situation.   I really doubt
as she goes into here teenage years she would want to be seen with here dad wearing a dress. .teenages are very conscious of things like that..    Know that despire your daughter words she needs you now more than ever.

Wishing you strength, perseverance, and fortitude..   

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 2, 2019 1:06 am  #4

so sorry.  You are in a difficult position but it's fantastic that you have got away and are living separate from him.

When you talk about family do you mean his family or yours?  Have you got family you can talk to, they would be such a support if you do.  Yes you need to talk to someone or more and tell them what's happening.  You need to find some people who can help you.  A visit to the doctor, important to talk to a lawyer and find out your options.

What was that phrase - 'weaponising your child'. yes exactly.  How awful.

I was wondering how the option of moving to another area would sit?  

And wondering if it is possible to say something to your child along the lines of Daddy is having a hissy fit and saying mean things about me?

wishing you all the best

August 2, 2019 12:24 pm  #5

Hi Elliecat,

I could have written parts of your post. The desire to support your spouse and want him to be happy and content even if doing so makes you unhappy is so real - as is the guilt your feel when you realize that you just  can't do it. You cannot be happy about what he is doing and what you are losing. It is such a difficult position to be in and made even harder by those who feel that we should be able to stay and support them because "they are still the same person on the inside." Ugh!

Grey rocking is good and those comments are to be expected for awhile. Eventually they will stop though. I agree with OOHC though. You definitely need to get a parenting plan in place, so you both have a point of reference to direct him to. Also, you don't need to be friends. Being cordial and civil is enough. Oh, and all the stuff about "keeping secrets" or telling your daughter about how sad and lonely he is and that he just wants to be a family -- there should be a restriction about making those types of comments in the parenting plan.

You can also train your daughter to tell him to direct those comments to you and not to her. "Daddy, you need to talk to mom about that. It is between the 2 of you." is all that is needed. Also, your daughter may be too young to recognize it now, but eventually she will understand why you left and that you honored your worth by not accepting less than you need and deserve. What a wonderful example you set for her.

But seriously, I get the whole wanting to be nice and worrying about him. I did the same thing, but I needn't have worried. My ex is doing just fine, and yours will too. Assuming divorce is your goal now, you are at the beginning of a contract negotiation, and you only get 1 shot to get the best deal for you and your daughter. Also, divorce brings out the worst in people. Your spouse will be looking out for his best interest and it will, most likely, be at your expense, so you need a team in place that will have your best interest as their primary concern. It is hard to switch gears and not put him first or not think about what is best for him. You've done just that for over 20 years, but you need to start thinking of him as your ex.

Finally, keep posting here. We understand what you are going through.

You got this.

August 2, 2019 4:13 pm  #6

Elliecat, Your husband's transitioning is no excuse for her to be abusive to you. Tell her it's unacceptable. Does your daughter see this? It's not healthy for her. It will cause problems in the future for her.

Keep a log or diary of these outbursts. If your husband has narcissistic tendencies, she will make the divorce process a living nightmare.  Keep contact to the bare minimum. She knows you are nice and will use that to confuse and confound you to get a financial reward she doesn't deserve.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

Board footera