OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 26, 2019 8:27 pm  #1

Grieving again...

My ex-MiL died yesterday.  It has felt so awful not to be able to be included in the circle of family that grieve her and have been there as she has slowly faded away after a long battle with cancer.  I was able to leave her a message and then spoke to my ex-FiL who was kind. 

One of my ex-SiLs called today and cheerfully recounted some of the happenings of the last few weeks.  My ex doesn’t speak of me at all.  He has moved on.  He is remarried and is happier by all accounts.

27 years of being in the family and I just feel so angry that my GIDXH doesn’t have the decency to call me or to respond to a sympathetic email.  My sons are there with them and I try not to interfere and allow them to interact with their cousins and family there without being too inquisitive.

I feel such a mix of anger and grief arising again and just wanted to express it here.  Somehow I keep expecting my GIDXH to be kinder - to reach out and honour me in some way.  It is mental really.  It is just stupid to expect that he will somehow be different and change now.  But I thought time would help us be civil and kind, but as much as I try to ‘go high’ when he goes ‘low’ - it still hurts.  I keep having to remind myself how for so many years my emotional wellbeing was never something he cared about as he betrayed and deceived me.  It feels raw and fresh again even though it has been three years since the divorce.

I am triggered so badly because I am also back visiting with my family and in places I normally was with him, not alone.  I feel the sadness as I see my siblings with their intact families continuing with their lives.  The grief at my loss of the future I had worked so hard for rises up again and I am sad, and angry too.  Angry that my stubborn heart still on some level longs to talk to the man I was married to.  But he doesn’t exist.  That person is gone.  To hope for any kindness now is madness.  But then this whole situation feels like madness.  I worked so hard for so long to ‘fix’ the problems that he never wanted to fix.  By not ever disclosing his sexual preferences, needs and just staying hidden, being ‘naughty’ he got off for years on having a patsy of a wife as he played away with me there to tend the kids until they left home.  And then he was gone and quickly remarried an new wife with no kids and a successful business.  Anyway I torture myself here with thoughts of him somehow being different than he has always been.  His actions or lack of action tell all.

“You find out what kind of man you married, only when you divorce him.”  I only found out the truth of my marriage as we divorced.  It was full of many betrayals and the deceptions and the shock still gets me at times and I keep hoping that somehow I will be able to access the man I thought I was with.  And then like the movie “The Sixth Sense” it feels like the whole narrative of my life has shifted utterly.  I look back and everything has different meanings and interpretations.  I keep replaying it all.  It isn’t healthy.

Moving on feels so difficult.  I know in my head the reality and the necessity of moving away from rumination on this sorry topic, and am doing better slowly, but sometimes my heart just feels addicted to the narrative and wanting to make sense of a situation that just doesn’t compute.  How could I have been so wrong about this person I spend half my life with?  It is just so challenging as my MiL’s death highlights my outsider status and I feel so grief stricken.  Again. 

I’m trying to be patient with myself and kind.  It is just hard to deal with all the triggers and I’m just feeling miserable and feeling bad about feeling miserable when this is so old, I’m bored with it, but it just keeps coming up.  Like a scab you pick and it bleeds.  Again.

July 27, 2019 4:10 am  #2

Re: Grieving again...

Leah wrote:

Leah...your post...it's so sad and filled with pain.

As I make decisions about my life I'm trying to make them so I don't end up wishing I had done it differently. My family/extended family are my world, and if my world dramatically changes with me having made no plans for it...I don't ever want to be in that position!

Sending you heartfelt wishes, a virtual warm embrace xx

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

July 27, 2019 6:01 am  #3

Leah,
       I'm sorry for your loss of your mother-in-law.  My heart goes out to you, too, that in grieving her death you must be reminded of the enormous loss inflicted on you by your ex, who forced you to exile yourself from the family you worked so hard to belong to, and who now, in this time of loss, continues to demonstrate his lack of empathy or his appreciation of you and of the sincere and inclusive love you brought to the marriage for 27 years. 
    Please don't beat yourself up over your inability to feel less.  The death of your mother-in-law and being in the places with the people you considered family have brought to the fore once again the rawness of your losses.  This is only natural, and although causing you anguish, it is the right response.  You would be a shallow and heartless person if it didn't.  That it is the natural and right response, of course, does not make it easier to bear.  
     We lose so much at the hands of our in-denial or closeted spouses!  We feel a very personal, individual loss because we are cheated of intimacy--of the possibility for intimacy!--and we also grieve when we are denied our position within the collective family.  That our spouses are so able to wall themselves off from all human feeling, or to see themselves as the persecuted ones, is incomprehensible to us, and adds to our loss and our hurt.  It is, finally, a measure of how distorted they become as persons as a result of clinging to their closets and their denial.  To deny themselves, they must deny others.  To deny themselves and others, they must also deny the possibilities of true intimacy and love, whether for self or for others. 
   Again, Lean, I'm so sorry for your loss.  I hope time and distance will again restore you to a more peaceful place and frame of mind. 

July 27, 2019 10:31 am  #4

Thanks Elle and OOHC, your kind words are helpful. 

I am not good at hiding my feelings at the best of times and feel embarrassed often that I am still so stung by my GIDXHs silence and still focus unhealthily on my loss and trying to ‘understand’ my ex - all the things we SS know are pretty unhelpful for our own wellbeing.   I am lucky that we parted quickly in many ways.

Yes Elle, good for you knowing how to focus on and preserve the things in your life that bring you comfort and joy. 

I was a bit too eager to make it easy for my ex and didn’t reach out much in the early stages as I wanted to leave his family to him and not do anything to muddy his life, though he has so muddied mine so thoroughly.  And of course the in-laws are in a tricky position.

I’m trying to focus on my own family who I am visiting, but her death is casting a shadow over my visit as I am grieving and sad.

July 27, 2019 1:53 pm  #5

Leah,
I have sent you a PM.
xoxo
OMOTF

July 27, 2019 2:00 pm  #6

Leah, I actually do think it is necessary for your health to work through all of this.  Of course there will be triggers.  And some of the biggest triggers in ANY life connect to deaths, and to extended family.  I assume you've read the NYT essay we've shared on this site, about reconstructing a life narrative.  If not, look up Ana Fels, Great Betrayals. 

Also there is a thread here where I listed some of the kinds of trauma that people have to work through again and again after this kind of life-long betrayal.  Some of us had a discussion about this trauma there on this thread:  https://straightspouse.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1698&p=1

Please please be patient with yourself.  Allow yourself to work through the triggers.  Don't you think it makes it worse to suppress the pain instead of allowing yourself to work through it?

I really do think that what we have experienced is a kind of sexual trauma--a sexual assault in some ways.  With that in mind, I read somewhere that EMDR therapy might help work through the trauma.  I have been reading some things about psychological abuse, and I think that is very much what I've experienced throughout my marriage.  Eventually, I will probably try the EMDR therapy.  Have you tried this?  I think I remember that you do a lot of meditation.

The psychological abuse things I've been reading--I ran into the work of Don Hennessey.  He seems to be the "Lundy Bancroft" of Ireland.  With a greater focus on how the abuse really gets into our minds.  It was so helpful to me and fit my experiences so much--especially in using a kind woman as the sexual partner and mother, then specifically getting into her head particularly by undermining everything connected to her being a woman.  So I started looking up everything I could find for a week or two, and I thought it was very helpful for me in understanding some of the mental and emotional destruction I feel, and perhaps it will help you too with the "can't get past it" stuff.  (Not that I'm past it--just found these summaries so incredibly helpful.) 

I read the free chapters of the Google books version of this first one.
https://www.amazon.com/How-Gets-Into-Her-Head/dp/1855942208
I also searched him up and read about him more here:
https://cryingoutforjustice.blog/2018/02/06/don-hennessy-digest/
https://www.confusiontoclaritynow.com/

Take care of yourself please.  don't be so harsh on yourself.

Last edited by OnMyOwnTwoFeet (July 27, 2019 2:12 pm)

July 27, 2019 4:16 pm  #7

Leah I am sorry to hear of your loss. I am very sorry you were not included where you should have been. 
Some days are better than others. Under unexpected stress and loss the day or days are especially challenging. 

I operate one of two ways. I feel the feelings and sink into them. If I start to feel worse after a few hours and not better, I take a breather. It's not good for me  to let the feelings overwhelm my life. Kind of like drowning in my own tears.  I do relaxing hobbies and get out of the house. That lightens the load so I can handle it better.

I had and still have a similar situation. My late GIDXH's uncle passed away during the divorce. I asked if I could have his family's address to send my sympathy. No, they didn't believe in that and no funeral. Late GIDXH was a compulsive liar, but it could be true. I searched Google for a few months -- no indication of the death.

When GIDXH died a year later, ex SIL told by email and mentioned the uncle's death. It was true. I felt robbed. I cared for this uncle, loved the cousins. My ex SIL signed off with what do you care anyway. You never liked our family. Am sure she was angry about our divorce. I have nephews and nieces. I look up what is happening to them on Google.

My ex-FIL was in a rest home the last I heard 2 years ago. He could be dead.  I comb the obits on Google often to see if he's passed.

The TGT thing is really hard to wrap your head around sometimes.  We were the kind, thoughtful people, but we get scapegoated for being a victim. It shouldn't be this way but it is.

Am thinking good thoughts for you, Leah. You are not alone and not the only one this has happened to.(((((hugs)))))

Last edited by MJM017 (July 27, 2019 4:17 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

Board footera