OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 23, 2019 2:08 pm  #1

Grief for losing the sense of love even being real

Today I was going through some recent files, and I saw this journal entry in the file list.  I think I might have even started it as something to post here a couple of weeks ago, to the "stages of grief" thread, but probably did not because (surprise!) it got long.  But I think it gets at something important, and something I've touched on before:  that one of our biggest losses as straight spouses is our internal sense of "what love is." Including, "Are loving relationships even warm at all?"  So, here it is in all its length! * * *

Definitely waves of pain and grief here!  There are just so many things I am grieving.  There has been so much reality-distorting from my husband, too, and I had become so used to living a life without affection.  I have felt so much grief for the loss of my husband.  More and more, I feel such grief at the loss of myself.  I have felt this all along, but it is huge, and comes in different ways. 

This afternoon, I took my kids to see the new ToyStory4 movie. There at the end of the movie, I was sobbing as Woody and BoPeep were together again.  I know, I know: cartoon characters!  No one else was sobbing!

I had all of these feelings of grief, and they came much faster than you can read them, boom boom boom, and it is the practically subconscious nature of some of these that is upsetting: 

--I have never had that in my marriage.
--I may never have that again.
--OH WAIT! I never had that to begin with.
--My husband took away 30 years of my life, so I may not be able to experience this.  And if I do, I will not experience this as a young person.
--I was so warm and loving throughout, and I always wanted that to be reciprocated, but my warmth was never reciprocated.
--I sensed that my husband did not really love me.  I felt that for years, and it was more and more over time.  He so often avoided me.  Would not sit by me in a movie with the family like on a day like today.  I knew he did not feel this way for me, but I had no idea why.”

And then I had THIS feeling, that I think is especially damaging, because it was so automatic, and I think things like this have become my habitual internal coping responses to my feelings of sadness about my relationship with my husband over the years:

--Oh, that is just Hollywood.  People do not really love each other that way.

And then catching myself, realizing that my husband has conditioned me, over years, by making fun of any kind of sweetness between man and woman as fake--he has from the beginning of the marriage--I remember some experiences early on--been grooming me to change what I think is acceptable.  He has conditioned me to accept that kindness and warmth and longing are not real. (I mean, of course Hollywood, and animated toys.  But it would not even get written into the script if there was not some kind of common human emotion there.)

And then to realize that my husband has not only taken away 30 years of my life experiences—and this very “taking” attitude of his is the exact opposite of the foundational caring that any loving relationship should foster—but even more so, he also took away my sense that love and loving ways were even real or possible. 

This internal damage is hard to fully express.  It is so subtle and pervasive.

And then to realize again that my husband is still not being honest.

And to realize that he will likely distort things to our children.  And that he has conditioned our children to perceive me a certain way over the years, as lacking, and as not deserving his respect and warmth.  Again, in subtle ways.

And he has conditioned our children also to accept that warmth is not normal.  This grieves me.

Last night, I took one of my sons to perform with his band in a larger city not too far from home.  Before the concert, a local ballroom dance instructor taught anyone who wanted how to do the cha cha.  So many couples joined him to learn.  And then during the music, there were dozens of people out dancing.  The cha cha, the swing, any kind of steps.  Men and women of all ages, shapes, and sizes.  Different ethnicities.  All kinds of clothing, all kinds of energy, all kinds of body movements.  From quirky to fashionable.  From graceful to awkward.  But all: Just happy to be out dancing, and happy to be together.  Warmth and hugs and loving looks toward each other.  Trying new steps.  Missing the beat.  Apologizing for the missteps.  Laughing.  It was so incredibly lovely.  The summer evening, not too hot. 

Again: more grief--that my husband had made it seem like I had to be perfect, and in a cutting kind of way. 

A pregnant woman, probably 8 months pregnant, doing the swing with her bearded husband, and he was so happy being with her, and she was wearing a wrist brace, and it triggered all my memories of how cruel my husband would be to me any time I was physically hurt because it got in the way of what he wanted. Her wrap dress unfurled and exposed her body in her underwear, and they both laughed and laughed as she pulled the wrap back and they danced again.

I am haunted by remembering so many crazy-making things my husband has said even since I discovered things, haunted how he continually told me if I were just better, than maybe he would be kinder. 

I find myself everywhere, having a sense of not being good enough, or flashbacks to criticisms.  Everywhere: sitting in church and something about singing a hymn reminds me of how critical my husband was of my efforts to choose interesting hymns when I was in charge of congregational singing.  I remember how he has criticized me "I thought you would be the kind of mother who would bring culture into our children's lives."  When I was actually practicing piano and playing duets with our children, teaching music classes at the schools, helping our children edit their papers, developing writing programs for the schools.  It is like he has wormed his way into everything about my life, so my sense of loss and not being good enough is everywhere.  And why? Why did he distort me so much?  How did I allow this?  How could I not see past the pain of what he said to know that what he was saying was cruel and untrue?  Why did I keep believing somehow that if I were just better he might actually like me?  It happened so subtly at first, I did not know what was happening until it got so brazen I could not ignore it.

And all along: he knew what he was doing; he knew he was not telling the truth.  He knew it all along.

July 23, 2019 3:25 pm  #2

Re: Grief for losing the sense of love even being real

"...to realize that my husband has not only taken away 30 years of my life experiences—and this very “taking” attitude of his is the exact opposite of the foundational caring that any loving relationship should foster—but even more so, he also took away my sense that love and loving ways were even real or possible."

Here's one more thought, about what you've written, and that is that he no doubt convinced himself that you were okay with this, that you seemed quite contented to be the only kind of wife he allowed you to be.  They do this to justify their actions.  It's also quite possible that his devaluing treatment of you was also a way for him to rationalize and justify his deception.  They need us (to be their beards, to continue to deny the truth about their sexuality), but they hate that they need us, and they hate needing to hate themselves, and they project that onto us the fault and hurt us for it.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (July 23, 2019 3:25 pm)

July 23, 2019 7:51 pm  #3

OnMyOwnTwoFeet,
I don't read or post much on SSN, anymore. Disclosure was just over 3 years ago. Divorce 2 years ago. 25 years of marriage, at divorce. What you wrote is haunting. It would be beautiful, but it's sad for so many of us straight spouses. I was moved by what you wrote, but sad to continue to think about the depth of loss for all of us. To me, you've written about the saddest part. I try very hard to notice couples in truly loving relationships. I am conscious about pointing out such relationships for my children. I loved your descriptions of the couples enjoying each other. I know examples of this. I just don't believe that I will ever feel that way, as my heart has been hardened, broken, worn out. Today is one of those sad days that still comes, but I owe it to my children to keep hope. Hang in there, sweet straight spouses.

July 24, 2019 12:27 pm  #4

OnMyOwn:  You've said so flawlessly what I've been suffering over.  My husband always claimed he was more at home with the WWII generation, where men didn't show "feelings" and all.  He never called me by a pet name, or held my hand in public, or sat with his arm around me.  He would make a joke, saying he didn't approve of public displays of affection, as if he was such a stoic John Wayne type or something.  Our daughter, when she was little, used to try to stage-manage us, saying "Daddy, put your arm around Mommy."  She'd lift his arm and position it in a position of affection, and both of us would be uncomfortable -- I'd be mortified because it just highlighted for me what a damaging model I was for my daughter, who desperately wanted to see her parents treat one another like other kids' parents did.  And, my husband's claim about his parents' generation didn't seem right -- we have all kinds of photos of them, and my FIL would have his arm around my MIL and they'd both look so happy in one anothers' company.

So when I first made my discovery, and started reading my husband's texts with his boyfriend, and it was all "Hon" and "babe" and "miss U" and "wish U were here" I was just absolutely shattered.

I know it's a little thing, but you've said it so eloquently.  I've spent half my life with my nose pressed to the glass, watching other couples and wishing I could know what that feels like -- even to the point that our daughter was suffering too, trying to stage-manage our body language to approximate what she desperately wanted in her family life.

Like you, I may never know the feeling, and even if I do -- I won't know what it's like as a young person.

July 24, 2019 12:43 pm  #5

You hang in there, too, sweet jkpeace.  

July 26, 2019 7:33 am  #6

Last edited by MJM017 (August 14, 2021 10:44 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

July 26, 2019 8:53 am  #7

MJM017 wrote:

I feel physically ugly. I watch YT daily videos on where to buy inexpensive, stylish clothing, makeup/grooming tips. It helps, but still feel the uglies.
I'm rid of the x. However, his long arm is reaching out from the grave and still causing me problems. Stomping and spitting on that grave is not going to help. Ugh. When will this pain he caused ever end? I want romantic love in my life. Don't know what to do. Am out of ideas.

I get occasional texts,usually mean,from my GX..as we are no contact but need to raise kids together.  Sometimes it's like real meanness from the grave...but she is not dead..  Sometimes it's like,rants,from a crazy monster I keep in the basement.   But she is my childrens mother and I treat here with no contempt or meanness. The fact is I try to find some use for her..she can watch the kids while I go out, she can buy them things (with my money)..  I try not to look back but have a use for her.  Because she is not dead...but she is not kind or my friend either.  She remains the most volatile and dangerous thing in my life ..but I'm moving on..

But i understand these spouses reaching into our heads ..from the years we were with them. 

I can assure you you're not ugly..i think that is our spouses in our heads again..they had years to perfect their art of subtle putdowns.

On trust..im trusting again because I need to move on.  I admit i did not think I could ever again..  But i found it relative.... Im not saying morally broken people arent out there.   Im just saying I cant imagine anyone hurting me as much as she did.  Even if I dated someone for years, married them  and they dumped me or cheated on me...they could never hurt me like she did. My GXs hurt was manevolent, diabolical and sick.

Surround yourself with kind people..let some of them in..God would not want us to stay in the gay and hurt.

Last edited by Rob (July 26, 2019 9:04 am)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

July 26, 2019 8:45 pm  #8

Dear OMOTF,

Thanks for this post as it is just so beautifully expressed.  I went to assist my sister as she photographed a pregnant wife with her husband to record the beauty of her first pregnancy.  She was 8 mos along and the tenderness towards each other was so touching.  And I realized how my GIDXH had always done just what you expressed....sort of mocked tenderness and any ‘gooey’ feelings.  I accepted so much of his views on what was ‘real’ or ‘honest’ love.  And the devaluing of me within our family and all of it....so true, so common here I think.  Thank you for posting this.

July 27, 2019 5:23 pm  #9

Last edited by MJM017 (August 14, 2021 10:45 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

August 5, 2019 10:44 am  #10

I realized I never thanked all of you who read and responded to this post.  Thank you so much.  There is a lot going on for me today.  Please keep me in your thoughts.

Board footera