OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 22, 2019 2:47 pm  #1

Attend a meeting of your local SSN!

I recently attended a meeting of my local SSN.  I was apprehensive, but it was one of the best decisions I have ever made!  For those of you who are new to this, there are others who are going through the hell you are going through.  Learn from them, or just vent.  They are painfully nice people who understand you in a way that no one else can.  They are willing to listen.  They are people like you and me -- some younger, some older.  They are you..  I will be attending regularly for the foreseeable future!

Just go!

July 22, 2019 3:14 pm  #2

Re: Attend a meeting of your local SSN!

Blue Bear wrote:

I recently attended a meeting of my local SSN. .......  They are people like you and me -- some younger, some older.  They are you..  I will be attending regularly for the foreseeable future! Just go!

pp

Well done BB 
I would love it...and attend....if there was a New Zealand group. 

KIA KAHA                       

July 22, 2019 7:10 pm  #3

yeah, I'd go if there were meetings here too.  I don't know if there are any in Australia let alone within a few hours drive.

July 27, 2019 9:47 am  #4

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed the local meeting Blue Bear. 
That is actually the main method the SSN uses to help and support our membership.  The local groups and facilitators are the core of our group. 

Ellexoh and lily.   We are always looking to expand.  Would you consider being a facilitator and starting a local chapter?  You could be a huge help to others and find support for yourself as well. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

July 27, 2019 12:32 pm  #5

Thanks, phoenix!  I am not exaggerating when I say that the last week has been the best week that I have had in over a year!  This group is awesome.  When I'm on the other side of this (divorced, having set up a new home), I need to find a way to give back to the SSN.  I actually feel GOOD again, even though I'm about to file for divorce.  God bless this place.  I worry about the so many people who need this place but haven't found it yet.

July 27, 2019 1:00 pm  #6

I recently sent an email, but I don't think I heard back. According to the website, there is a meeting in my area, but I don't know if that is accurate or up to date or not.

July 28, 2019 6:12 am  #7

I attended a local group when I was in the initial shock of TGT.
I was physically shaking and a complete basket case.

I think the most important things I got was;

a.  A hug at the door from complete strangers..ie.  You are worthy of hugs and are not garbage like your spouse thinks.

b.  Seeing people that have been through TGT living normal lives and hearing them tell their stories with strength and normality..  Not in tears like me.

Truely God present on this earth..
Ehugs to all.

Last edited by Rob (July 28, 2019 6:13 am)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

July 28, 2019 1:20 pm  #8

Phoenix - yes I would consider it.  when I contacted SSN initially I was put in touch with someone in Sydney which is nearly a 1000k away - it would not have been possible to go to a meeting even if there was one.

July 28, 2019 2:12 pm  #9

Some of us don't have the time to go to them either.  I have so many obligations,  a ton of work, and have a lot of highway traffic to deal with. I'm 15 miles from a meeting - it would take me 1.5 hours to get there.

Other organizations have online meetings using real time chat. That's a possibility if anyone is interested. I would be. I can look into it. No obligation and free. Not a life coach or shrink looking for a payout...just a suffering ex-spouse. Let me know!!

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

July 28, 2019 8:04 pm  #10

phoenix wrote:

Ellexoh and lily.   We are always looking to expand.  Would you consider being a facilitator and starting a local chapter?  You could be a huge help to others and find support for yourself as well. 

I don't know what that would entail, and whether or not I would be 'outed' as a straightspouse (identifiable?) 
when 99% of the outside world don't know what I'm going through. I'm interested in the concept however

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera