OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 29, 2019 6:28 pm  #1

Venting

I seem to vent a lot. I do not know what else to do. I have friends and a family member who is aware of the fact that my husband takes estrogen because he feels that it physically makes him feel better. He wears some female clothing but its more ambiguous in nature. I always thought that was more gender fluid but I do not know all the terminology yet. But even though people know, and i vent to them (some of them have been my friend a long time) I still do not walk away feeling like they understand the situation and the weight it carries. My husband and I still live together. We each have our own room. That started out that way because of when we had our daughter it was easier to swich off on getting up with her as the one who did not have to stayed in the spare room because she was in the main bedroom. I have serious insomnia and i jus slept better so we stayed that way. He snores bad so that was a relief too not to have to deal with that waking me up and not getting b?ack to sleep or not falling to sleep to begin with but that is another story. We would still spend time together in my room at night, intimacy or just watching television but we spent time together. Now, we dont spend any time together. For a while i would ask if he wanted to watch tv before bed and for a while he did but he stopped because he said it was too hard for him to do that. Too hard for him? I have since taken down all the photos of us in the house. We are esentially I guess separated. We dont wear our rings. He never does whereas i will for work or social events when I am around people who dont know. Our daughter has not noticed anything odd about him yet ie his breast growth, the fact he shaves, his foundation on his face. I worry about when she is old enough to notice or if her friends do first and say something to her, she is five now. 

I think the lonliness is what is getting to me these days. I feel like I am just so lonely. I think to myself how long can someone go being so isolated and alone before they crack? I miss simple human contact like holding hands, kissing even the forehead ones, just basic attention. He says that he does not care if I find this attention elsewhere if that makes me happy but I just cant do that while being married and even if i didnt feel odd about it I am just so jaded I dont even want to seek out anyone. It is like a double edge sword 

I have things that occupy my time. Involoved as a board member for a veteran charity and politics but I am starting to struggle with continuing this because honestly all i feel like doing is what i have to do ie work, taking care of my daughter but any spare time I just want to hibernate. I know self defeating when I feel isolated and lonely to begin with. I know its depression but I am already on antidepressants wellbutrin 100 mg twice a day. I guess I can try to get that increased but that is not going to change my situation 

it all boils down to I MISS MY HUSBAND! not this giant manly looking female in front of me. Who thinks because he does not want gender surgery that it somehow makes it less dramatic. I was snooping and I know i should not be doing that but he doesnt tell me anything. He was on estrogen for six months or more before he told me. I found on his computer a journal entry from this past november where he said he felt like he was on a date with his best friend. That he texted all day basically begging them to take him out so they did and ended up at the bar at applebees I know he went there once with his best friend who is a guy so when the next paragraph was about the fact that he realized you can find love with anyone male or female I am thinking does that mean he is also gay or bisexual? Do i confront him when that will show I was spying which I am not proud of and the fact that he is a computer technition he could very well keep good track of my life which i dont want either. 

I just want my life back and I am so angry and depressed and lonely. I know it affects my daughter because I just have no energy to do anything. 

It is like a messed up thing. Before all this he was anti social and that was the big thing that upset me that he never wanted to do anything or go anywhere. Now he is social but he is what he is now and i dont want to be out and about with him this way. I have anxiety enough that tomorrow we are going to my best friends daughters b day party and we are going as a family. Some of theem most of them have not seen him this way, even though like i said its not like he is in a dress but his chest is obvious and he doesnt do what he said he would do at the start. Said he would wear a sports bra to hide his chest when he wears clothing. 

I Just miss my husband and my life. 

thanks for listening 

June 29, 2019 7:07 pm  #2

Re: Venting

Sweetie, I'm so sorry.  I've been where you are, and where you are is grieving.  I, too, have sat and cried out, "I want my life back!"  You are grieving the loss of your husband to this other hybrid creature that you do not recognize.  He is deep in the pink fog of his delusion, and testing out his new identity, including by thinking of what it would be like for him as a "woman" to be with a man.
      Men in the grip of this feminizing fog are supremely selfish, and not only have no empathy for the position they've put you in and the hurt they've inflicted, they don't even consider it!  I remember that my ex came home from a therapy session early on with his trans therapist and told me he had been surprised when his therapist told him that I was grieving the loss of my husband!  It's as if he actually thought I should be happy for him!  I know this will hurt to read this, but if you do confront him, don't expect it to make a difference.  He is in a state of mind in which he thinks that whatever he wants/needs is supremely important, and he will sacrifice you and your daughter for it while acting as if he's the once making the sacrifice.
   You've said in the past that you need to stay married, and are in no position to leave, but I think you should prepare yourself for the possibility that he might decide that he doesn't want to be married to you.  I don't see how you can prepare yourself for the hurtful actions on his part that will escalate and accelerate the more he indulges himself.  You can already see that he doesn't adhere to the boundaries he set for himself.  (Mine did the same.)   You can also see the toll this is taking on you, and on your daughter.  
    As someone who also took welbutrin and had to stop because I began having suicidal ideation while taking it, I'm asking you please, please, please o go back to your doctor and make sure the doctor knows everything about what's going on, including your anxiety, desperation and continuing depression.  

June 29, 2019 7:26 pm  #3

Thank you for your response. The other thing I didn’t get is his shrink. I wished I hadn’t deleted his message he actually said he didn’t go to her as a shrink but because he knew based on researching that she’d just write him a letter so he could get estrogen therapy
She even went with him and a bunch of others like him to a pride parade near by us
My cousin who knew thankfully was friends w someone in the photo so she saw it
Never mentioned he was doing this
Said he was going to a party his shrink was having at her office which I also found strange
Am I wrong for thinking that’s highly unprofessional
It’s like she’s pushing for everyone to do this like a biased agenda

June 29, 2019 8:44 pm  #4

StraightSpouse1979 wrote:

Am I wrong for thinking that’s highly unprofessional
It’s like she’s pushing for everyone to do this like a biased agenda

Sounds suspiciously unprofessional yes, and more like people who know each other personally. But then 
your husband seems further along the path of separating his life with you than you are....so it's probably
something that doesn't even give him pause for thought

KIA KAHA                       

June 29, 2019 9:12 pm  #5

Re: a "biased agenda."  Transactivists have driven changes in professional "standards of care," and as a result that standard is now "affirmation."  So when your husband went to his therapist, she "affirmed" rather than asked questions.  However, it also sounds as if your husband had been searching around for someone who was known to "affirm" and "prescribe" after one session--unfortunately not that unusual. But some so-called professionals have also jumped on the  transgender band wagon and are cheerleaders for the cause.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (June 29, 2019 9:15 pm)

June 29, 2019 9:40 pm  #6

How do I report a potential breach of ethics ?
A photo of said therapist with my husband and others at a parade for pride after having a pre party at her office ?

June 30, 2019 7:42 am  #7

I hate to say this but I think the therapist will be able to argue successfully that her behavior did not breach the ethical standards as they are written by the APA.  

I'm editing this to add the following:

StraightSpouse, I've been thinking about your wanting to go after your husband's therapist and my answer, and I would like to add this:

Although I'm fairly certain an attempt to go after the therapist would likely be unsuccessful, I do think it's a positive sign that you are accessing your anger and attempting to harness it for action.  If you decide going after the therapist is not likely to yield the result you seek, and would therefore only drain your energy, is there a way you can re-direct your anger in another way to alleviate some of the pressure and anxiety you feel, and maybe propel you toward a healthier situation for you and your daughter?  Could it be that you might be displacing your anger at your spouse, for what he has done and is doing, onto his therapist, and might it be possible to re-direct it, say, to the process of emotionally detaching from your spouse? 
      It's a horrible place we find ourselves in, when we seek comfort or deliverance from the very person who has put us in the painful situation we're in.  Like seeking justice or medical care from the thief who has just stolen your purse and mugged you!  Our pain does not move them.  No one is going to come to our aid, so we have to be our own aid worker--workers, if you include the help we get from others on this forum.  
      I think part of my paralysis and depression stemmed from this knowledge, that no one was going to help me, and most of all my then-husband.  I had only myself to rely on, and not only was I not feeling strong, I didn't want that to be the case; I wanted my marriage partner back, I wanted my then-husband to want to have my back, but he, in adapting and running toward his new identity, had already disavowed his status as my husband, even as he claimed he wanted to stay married to me and made me feel as if I was the one causing the problem.  During that time, when I knew I was probably going to have to leave, but thought I either couldn't leave for financial reasons or didn't have the strength to leave, I used to quote Eleanor Roosevelt's line to myself, "You must do the thing you think you cannot do."  It helped me put one foot in front of the other.  Emotionally detaching is one of those steps.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (June 30, 2019 10:07 am)

June 30, 2019 10:32 am  #8

I think that I direct a good amount of anger towards him as well but I think it is managed wisely because we still all live together so I have to do my best to not scream at him all day because my daughter is still here. There are days like today that are challenging. My niece's birthday is today, so we are all going together. My sister (best friend but like a sister) lives over an hour away and i have a huge phoobia of drivng (Which i have been working on because I know eventually I wont have someone to drive me anywhere) but she lives too far for my comfort zone. I have to be around her and her husband (who know) but others like her aunt and uncle who do not know nor friends of hers or his family who will be there. To me it is quite obvious, so i am all kind of anxious about going today. I miss the days of going out together and being comfortable like i blended in with everyone else. Not like i stand out like a sore thumb.

June 30, 2019 10:41 am  #9

I live in a country area.  I went to the doctor and he gave me a referral to a counsellor.  There were two in the area who were trained psychologists as opposed to just trained in counselling.  I went to one of the professionals.  She didn't feel the need to tell me but it turned out she was a closet lesbian.  I would guess that if you could see the statistics then there would be a higher percentage of gay people in the mental health profession than in the general population.

It is just my personal observations but it seems to me that it is the gay child of the closet gay parent who is most at risk of mental problems.  I lose all respect for the closet parent maintaining their closet in the face of their own child's suffering.

Monogamy is not optional - anything less is going to hurt - for many of us, that's just the way we're built.  All I ever wanted was the love of a good man.  

June 30, 2019 11:39 am  #10

I think the problem with going after the therapist, is that you only have your husband's word for it that he's being "treated" in any meaningful sense.  

Whether you're talking about a psychiatrist, a psychotherapist, or any other of the dozens of regulated licensed professionals ... I can tell you that no therapist throws an office party for their patients.  Ever.  End of discussion.  This is because the very identity of each patient is deeply confidential.

Last edited by walkbymyself (June 30, 2019 11:39 am)

Board footera