OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 30, 2019 10:30 pm  #11

Re: Thoughts on Incoming, Thievery, and Restraint

walkby and OMOTF:
   So tell me, and I mean this sincerely, why are you still there?  What is keeping you from acting on what you know to be true?

June 30, 2019 10:39 pm  #12

OOHC: Making a safe plan. Surgery and a lot of physical therapy.  Insurance.  Not wanting to connect big announcements to a kid birthday. Not wanting to sabotage high stakes work events for spouse. Not wanting to sabotage extended family events that have meaning for kids and cousins. Looking for a time when all my kids can be together.  The surgery and PT is the big one.  Need to be physically strong.

Also, the usual: some fear, and grief beyond measure.

Last edited by OnMyOwnTwoFeet (June 30, 2019 10:42 pm)

July 1, 2019 7:29 am  #13

ASDJ,  Yes I often have wondered how my GIDXH lives with himself and through so many years of betraying me and yet coming to conversations and situations as if all was fine!  And it is sad that this is so common - all for what?  I support the pride movement - if there were no homophobia then perhaps there would be no need for hiding. 

My ex actually said “it didn’t bother me as much as you think it did”. !!!   And now with hindsight and experience of a few years of no contact, I can see how he compartmentalised it all and still does.  It was nothing, but somehow I think they do live quite sad lives in their continued closets (for those that don’t come out)

I’m free now to choose to live my life happily and try to leave this sadness behind.  It is a challenging thing, but we can be the honest, restrained people who light the way. 

Hugs to all!

July 1, 2019 7:55 am  #14

Surgery and recovery, plus insurance--these are enormous challenges.  You do want to be well and strong when you leave, and with the security that insurance ensures.  

Wanting to find an optimal time with the least disruption is admirable.  I wanted that as well, although as events transpired, I couldn't hold out until the date I'd decided to tell him I wanted to divorce.  Oddly enough, for various reasons my having jumped the gun by about two months worked out in the end to have been a positive thing.  

I also wanted to avoid charged times, but what I discovered is that there was always some reason--another birthday, another big work event, another upcoming family event--not to tell.  The fact is, I suppose, there is no good time.  I suppose there are better times and worse times, but separation and divorce are disruptive, and they will and do disrupt, and there's just no getting around that. 

That disruption is painful. All "the firsts," especially: all the first holidays and birthdays and anniversaries of various events that you commemorated as a family or couple.  But that pain diminishes with time and with rebuilding; new traditions and patterns are made, even though the past and the pain do inevitably return when evoked.  I've lived through all "the firsts" now, and now I'm into the new "firsts," of "my first holiday since the first time I moved out."   The difference is heartening, and allows me to reflect on how much and how my life has changed for the better since I left.  In fact, I shudder to think of the toll an additional year and a half of living in my ex's closet and with his disorder would have taken on me had I not left.  

I hope your recovery from surgery is proceeding without setbacks.  It's been clear that while you've been post-surgery, you've been doing the important psychological work. 

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (July 1, 2019 7:57 am)

July 1, 2019 11:39 am  #15

OutofHisCloset wrote:

walkby and OMOTF:
   So tell me, and I mean this sincerely, why are you still there?  What is keeping you from acting on what you know to be true?

I'm leaving Friday. 

But the more complex answer is that there are many reasons why someone might opt not to walk out, mostly financial but often when there are children (even pets) involved.  I think it's a whole lot easier to stand on the sidelines telling a woman to walk out, than it is to do it for yourself.  My 63rd birthday is in a week; I've spent my entire adult life building a retirement I now understand I may not get to enjoy -- and it's too late for me to recover the money that I'm going to forfeit.

July 1, 2019 12:23 pm  #16

Well, yes, Walkby, I take the criticism, but it's not as if I haven't gone through the process myself.  Sometimes I needed a little prodding, or, in the midst of the processing, for someone to ask me to clarify exactly where I was at.  Sorry if my post came through as critical.  
   And, yes, all circumstances are different, although I was 64 when I left, and I, too, had worked all my adult life for a retirement and a financially secure future, that I had to contemplate as halved, because I didn't have the time to recoup it, either.  And then I chose to retire two years before I'd planned because I found it so painful to continue to work with my closeted spouse; it was like participating and supporting his lie, and although that was my choice, the circumstances surrounding my choice were of his making.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (July 1, 2019 12:25 pm)

July 1, 2019 6:23 pm  #17

Deleted

Last edited by MJM017 (July 11, 2021 7:06 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

Board footera