OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 30, 2019 7:12 am  #11

Re: How do we deal with this?

Abby wrote:

Just want to add that I had my children at 36 and 37. My husband did not come out of the closet until the older one was off on his own and the younger one was away in college. During the marriage I did find that I assumed many of the traditional male roles and my husband was more motherly with the children. I suspect that when the man considers himself a woman trapped in a man's body you might also find your duties changing to include car maintenance schedules and trapping mice.

Now that I've had time to look back I can see a lot of signs too, everything 'husbandly' I asked him to do was a struggle. Like to put air in the tires or chop wood at our cabin. He was uncomfortable with it, very lazy, and didn't show any interest in learning how. I had to rely on my dad and myself for a lot of those typically male things. I just thought it was because of laziness, but now I know it was from a desire to be the more feminine partner. 

It's hard because I can't feel angry for who he is inside, but I do feel angry at how it has affected our relationship, and it feels like, wasted 12 years of my prime young adulthood. I made decisions to stay with him when I could have taken jobs or gone to schools in other provinces. And I wonder what my life would be like now if I had chosen not to stay and support him.

But we can't change the past, just move on. That's the hard part now, where will I live, how will I support myself on a single income. And I can't imagine how women with children do it, it must seem so daunting and impossible. 

May 30, 2019 7:22 am  #12

OutofHisCloset wrote:

Kaynorth,
  Here's the thing: if he wants to "transition," there is nothing holding him back.  He can do that.  But he's not taking that step; instead he's placing onto you the onus of encouraging him to take that step in the guise of being considerate of your feelings!

So I was the ONLY one who lost anything, who bore any consequences for his practices-

I
  Post-post script:  I had my child at age 35.  My dissertation director had hers at 39 and 42.  It's not too late for you to have a child.  But as walkbymyself said, having a child in this situation is a guarantee of an extra burden in the future.

You are young enough to find another partner and have the kind of family you imagined you were going to have.

It's so strange to see people who really do know what it feels like, the weird sense of betrayal that doesn't come from cheating or abuse, but from this huge insane change that one partner decides to make.

It's true what you said, he wanted to stay in our sexual relationship as a woman, he is hurt and disappointed that I can't do it. He feels he will be the same inside and just look different, so why can't I learn to accept his new look. 
But I am sure he will be different, and it's not fair to expect me to be willing to have intimate relationship with a woman, one with breasts and long hair and womanly features but male genitalia. I'm just not comfortable with it. I would be uncomfortable with sex, I would be uncomfortable in public having to seem like the masculine partner. 

So it kind of feels like I am the person ending the relationship, because he didn't want to end it. So I feel guilty, even though I know I shouldn't. 

Also it gives me a lot of hope when you say you had children at a later age. I've wanted a baby for so long, and we have tried fertility treatments and herbal and home remedies with no success. But now I almost wonder if that was some kind of fate, like we weren't meant to bring a child into this kind of relationship. I can't imagine finding someone I'm comfortable and trusting enough with again. And how do you let go of that fear that someone else isn't hiding big secrets?

My biggest fears right now are how do I go from here, right now we are still living together and we are on good terms, but it's a bit like being in limbo. Like we are in the same relationship but with such a weird unnatural feeling that it's a finished relationship.  I need to wait until we sell out home, manage our shared debt, and I find a job that will provide me with housing. So it's just waiting. And that seems super hard when I just want to rip the bandage off and get the process of my new life started. And also I feel so sad, heartbroken, and depressed that I'm losing my best friend, my husband. I don't want to lose him, or our life. But he won't even exist in a few years, it will be a woman and my partner will just be gone and I won't ever be able to talk to him again. Like a death. Makes me so sad. 

May 30, 2019 9:07 am  #13

Kaynorth wrote:

And also I feel so sad, heartbroken, and depressed that I'm losing my best friend, my husband. I don't want to lose him, or our life. But he won't even exist in a few years, it will be a woman and my partner will just be gone and I won't ever be able to talk to him again. Like a death. Makes me so sad. 

I hear you, sister. The other day a friend said to me, "Won't you be glad when your divorce is final and you can finally put all this behind you?" I thought about it for a moment and said "No. I won't be happy or glad. I will be relieved but still sad about my marriage ending." Even though I am the one who had to file, divorce was never what I WANTED. I wanted that "happily ever after" with the man that I married. I was willing to stick it out and work through the hard times. I sacrificed my career for his and stayed home to raise our kids so that he could move forward in his career without having to worry about working around my schedule and the kids' schedules. And I was happy to do that because we were a team and we were building something/a future that we could share. However, my spouse changed everything when ze changed hir gender. All of a sudden I was forced into a marriage with terms I didn't agree to - and never would have. 

No. I didn't want to divorce. I NEEDED to - for my own mental, emotional, and physical well-being. 

Oh, and just so you know... I had my children in my mid-30s. We also had problems conceiving and I had to take Clomid and have IUIs, etc. Now, though, I really think my spouse was tucking during that time and that can cause a low sperm count with poor mobility. Care to guess what the fertility doctor said our issue was? Of course, I can't "prove" anything, but I strongly suspect it.

May 30, 2019 10:08 am  #14

Stronger,
   Hmmm...let's see.  Low sperm count with poor motility?  My guess is low testosterone levels.  My guess is that your suspicion is he was taking female hormones and hiding it from you.  

Kaynorth,
   You are right to think that sex will be different.  It's not just the body, or even his new desire to be made love to as if he had a woman's body.  I was more or less ok with that; more, because I feel that everyone's body has multiple sites for pleasure--nipples, for example; less, because some of his actions were stereotypical and stagey (and stupid) feminine actions, all of them very deliberately adopted, and so not natural (like throwing his head up or tilting it back to expose his neck).  But for me, the worst, the intolerable, was his absolute refusal of anything that he had decided defined male sexuality.  He decided that males were governed solely by the urge to ejaculate, as if men were not interested at all in foreplay either for their partners or for themselves (even though earlier in our marriage this had not been true).  So penis-in-vagina sex was out (although he still wanted me to pleasure him orally...).  So you are right to be suspicious and to reject this move to re-make your sex life around his new persona.  

As for moving out, if he is "hurt and disappointed," I would say you aren't exactly on "good terms"; maybe a better way to put it would be that you're being civil to one another.  Civility is good, but it is very hard to maintain that business like neutrality when you're living with someone with whom you've had rather more than that.  If you haven't seen a lawyer I hope you will see one.  A lawyer can help you figure out how to manage the transition (forgive the term...I actually no longer use "transition" in the sense transgenderists do); it may be that you can figure out how to leverage equity in your house so that you can afford to move into your own place.  If you can possibly get out of the house, it will help you begin to heal.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (May 30, 2019 10:09 am)

May 30, 2019 2:27 pm  #15

My story...
I have been with my now husband since 1999 when i was 19 years old. We have been married since 2009. We have a 5 year old daughter. 

He has had gender dysphoria for as long as we have been together but he always claimed it was due to his molestation by his stepfather to deal with what happened to him. He would cross dress occasionally over the years but it never happened for too long of periods of time. 

This summer he started taking hormones without telling me. I knew something was up when I saw photos of us at my birthday this past november, he looked more feminine to me. 

He does not want surgey. And i think he feels that because he doesnt and his dressing is "mild" i should not be affected by this. He looks like a masculine woman. He has a chest, I am small chested so we are almost the same size. He wears foundation. He has girl earrings, women underwear which is mixed in with the laundry I do, he wears brigh colored pattern women socks, women t shirts and tight women flair jeans. His skin is softer to where i couldnt even hold his hands anymore. I dont like to hug him too much because of his chest. 

We are "separated" whereas he does not wear his rings anymore and i do for work and social occasions as i dont want to answer questions. He has ruined the life i imagined I would have. I fear my daughter will be tormented by kids when they are old enough to know. I battle with what it is worse. Living together and trying to do my own thing for the sake of our daughter or to divorce and change where she lives because I would have custody and i even with child support and a new job couldnt afford this home. 

May 30, 2019 3:53 pm  #16

What do your want your relationship to be with your daughter? My concern is that he may try to take on the role of mother and try to mold her into his version of what is feminine. Maybe she by nature she is a girlie-girl and will love having daddy doing her nails and hair but this may isolate her from other girls her age at school. If she is by nature a tomboy she could feel like a failure if she knows she isn't meeting his expectations.

In the long term she may replace you in family life, not that I am suggesting a sexual relationship but that he bonds with her as if she were an adult and not a daughter. A parent should not make a child a companion and best friend.  

Please consider talking to a child psychologist for guidance because I am not one. I just think the actions  you take now could help your daughter develop into an emotionally-healthy adolescent.  

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

May 30, 2019 5:48 pm  #17

Our daughter is a mix of both. She wants her nails done she asks me, if she wants to play in the garage she asks her dad. To her as of now he is not "feminine" she does not notice. He does not wear dresses or anything that is outwardly very feminine but to me his wife I notice the foundation, the girl type earrings, and know about the women underwear, flashy bright colored girl socks, things of that nature. I told him he will have the discussion of why dad has a chest like mom.

I tell him I think this is going to emotionally affect her and he just says he hopes she grows up to be an understanding open minded person. That is all I get

May 30, 2019 6:21 pm  #18

Kaynorth,
I know you’ve got a lot to work out. I wish I left my ex at 32, and it’s s very conflicted feeling, because on the one hand, if I had, I wouldn’t have the two beautiful children we adopted. But on the other hand, it woukd have spared them this and I might have met my current wife sooner and had a family with her.  In any event there is time, and you have  much to offer a good man that simply wants a family and a healthy heterosexual relationship. They are out there.  I wish you the best.

SS1979
I thought about staying and thought really hard about what was best for the kids. My son learned of the divorce 6 days after his 12th birthday (her timing) and we separated weeks after that.  My daughter was six. So my son entered his teen years, wrestling with his adoptive identity, divorce, and a gay mom. But he’s always known the truth.  He’s found his way through his school activities and has a good idea of what he wants to do with his life (now 17)  but I still bear the brunt of his resentment of the divorce.  My daughter is thriving and I believe it is for two reasons - the age that she was when we divorced and the love she sees and feels between my current wife and I.  I can’t advise you on what to do, but with the amount of stress between you and your spouse -  I expect your daughter senses it.  I’ve shared In other posts I was in physical pain around my ex in those early months and did not want my children experiencing that stress.  I hope this helps.

May 31, 2019 12:37 pm  #19

Update: He has come to terms with the fact that he absolutely has to transition, so we have agreed to separate. We'll be living together. as roommates, until we are financial stable enough that we can go on our separate ways. I'll be moving back to the house we own and he is going to help for a while with the mortgage until I can handle it on my own.

Now my biggest issues are the sadness at losing this life and this relationship, and the fear of how to support myself on a single income. Also how lonely it will feel to come home to no one to talk to my day about. It seems overwhelming. Also the fact that we have to wait so long to be financially secure and keep living together feels odd. I'm afraid we'll fall back into our comfortable roles and then it'll feel like this all over again when the time comes for us to move apart. 

I am also super stressed about the dogs, he wants to keep one so we'll be separating them, I feel like the dogs will be lonely for each other. I know I'm maybe ascribing too much human emotion to them but I really worry about it. Though maybe in a few months he'll have changed his mind. 

Thanks guys for all the support, knowing I wasn't the only one this has happened to has helped. I am glad that my stbx and I are so close, because some of the stories of deceitful or harmful partners are so heartbreaking. It's hard enough when we are supporting each other, I can't imagine how hard it must be to suddenly be with someone who seems to be a villain. 

May 31, 2019 1:54 pm  #20

Kaynorth wrote:

Thanks guys for all the support, knowing I wasn't the only one this has happened to has helped. I am glad that my stbx and I are so close, because some of the stories of deceitful or harmful partners are so heartbreaking. It's hard enough when we are supporting each other, I can't imagine how hard it must be to suddenly be with someone who seems to be a villain. 

I am sorry you have been put in this position.

Please understand that what I am about to say will sound cold and heartless, but it is not meant to be.

When we first separated, my spouse was not the "villain" I am now dealing with. My spouse seemed to feel genuine remorse at what this was doing to us. My spouse continued to fully support us and even paid for some really nice trips that I went on with my kids. However, as transitioned progressed, my spouse started to change. By the time my spouse socially and medically transitioned, ze seemed to begin to resent having to support us and very meticulously started to pull that support. I tell people that it seems like once ze got everything ze wanted it still wasn't enough. Ze also had to get rid of the things ze no longer wanted (and unfortunately, that includes me and the book is still out on the kids).

I share this because I want to urge you to take steps now to protect yourself legally and financially. Depending on how far your spouse will go, it can be expensive. Once that money is gone it is gone, and you may not be entitled to any of it later. You may also be responsible for any debt that is accrued during this time.

Again, I know you are going through a lot already, and you are sure you won't end up like the stories you see here because y'all are so close. Just remember, though, that we all came on here saying how close we were and how we were best friends and thinking that my spouse would NEVER do some of the things I have seen happen here. And yet, they do.

Just please get a team in place that will protect your interests, and let them do that. That way you can concentrate on healing and moving forward.

I wish you strength and peace.

Board footera