OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 27, 2019 7:29 am  #1

How do we deal with this?

Hi everyone, 
I found this forum through looking for help on google.

My partner of 12 years just two days ago let me know he is uncomfortable in his body and thinks he wants to transition to female. This rocked me, even though now looking back I can see signs, I was totally shocked and unprepared. I want to support him wholly, I told him we will figure it out. But inwardly I am having a breakdown. I am straight, and I'm not comfortable being in a romantic relationship with a woman. I also don't think I'm emotionally strong enough to go through the process of gender assignment with him, and likely moving and changing jobs and alienating family. 

I keep wishing I was a bigger person and that I could just say "Ok, let's do this together, I can have a wife ", and really mean it. After a lot of big crying, he said that he doesn't think he wants to transition, that he will just make small changes to make himself happier because he loves our life together and doesn't want it to change. But I'm afraid that that will make him depressed and unhappy. Inside I would love for him to stay the same person, but I don't want him to tell me in 5 years that he is depressed and feels trapped. I want him to do what makes him happy.

We have a life built together, a mortgage, debt, two dogs, and have been trying to a baby. And now that image in my head of my husband, child, and future is gone and it feels totally like I'm lost in a void.

It's only been a few days so still trying to process and figure out what to do. I've insisted he get into counselling and see someone to talk about his feelings. Every time he says things will stay the same I don't really answer because I feel pretty strongly that he's going to need to transition. Is there anyone who can give me advice? Or let me know how their process went? 

I really do feel horrible about my own reaction, and most posts I see online talk about coming to accept and stay with your partner as a new woman, but I just don't think I can. It makes me feel like a super shitty person. I want to be able to support him though, and make this easier because I know it's going to be super difficult. He isn't a small or feminine looking man, he's large, stocky, and very hairy. I think his transition, if he decides to do it, is going to be harder than someone who already looks feminine, and my heart breaks for how hard it will be for him. We live in a very small (600 person) conservative town, and if he decides to transition he will likely have to move to a bigger city for supports. 

Sorry that this may be rambling, I'm still an emotional wreck, though trying not to let him see it too much because I don't want him to feel sad. I would never drop everything and leave him, we are working through this together, I just am finding hard to deal with my own reactions because I can't talk to anyone in our life about it because it would essentially 'out' him and he isn't ready for that. 

Anyway, any advice or stories would be appreciated. 

May 27, 2019 10:08 am  #2

Re: How do we deal with this?

Dear KayNorth,

You feel like you're in a void because you are.  Your partner has just pulled the rug out from under your life and all your expectations for your future, plus you are also now reassessing the past in light of his news.  HIs rejection of his male body, masculinity and his role as husband and heterosexual sex partner throws some of the most basic facts of your life and your being into chaos.  Your ideas about your own sexuality, gender, and identity are going to be circling around out there in the chaos, too.

My ex revealed much the same to me in March of 2015, after 32 years of marriage.  I left in January 2018, and moved into my own apartment in March 2018.  Our divorce was final in November 2018.  I say this so you know that I have been where you are now, and that I eventually decided that I could not remain married to my trans identified male husband.  (MtF, although biological sex is not alterable.)  Please don't think I'm just too old to be hip; I'm a former women's studies director, and I engaged in some pretty mind-warping sexual behavior when I was attempting to accommodate and accept my ex's desires.  That is, I earned my "trans credentials" the hard way. 

The pressure to stay and accept is indeed very powerful, and it seems as if "everyone" (or every "good wife") stays.  But they don't.  One argument that is deployed to make you think you should simply adjust is   "she's the same person she always was," which I hope you will consider critically; because if he's "the same person" then why does he have to transition?   Your partner is NOT the same person; your partner wants to disavow the most basic facts that define him: his sex, his body, his sexuality.

You have every right to decide that you want to live with the man you partnered with, and that living with a trans person is not what you want in life, and you should not feel guilty for that decision.  The fact is that his decisions and actions mean that every aspect of your life is about to change, and you will not be in charge of the changes.  Right now, in fact, you are thinking much more about him, and putting his feelings and future at the forefront of your thoughts, than you are your own.  That is, you are thinking about your life IN RELATION TO him and his choices.   But you have every right and are entitled to decide that what you want for yourself to fulfill your own needs and to work for the future you wish to have is a legitimate choice to make.

My first piece of advice is that you put the responsibility for his life and choices where it really lies--with him.  Any alteration he makes to himself and in his life is a process he has to undergo himself.  You may want to help him with it, and he may say he wants you to, but this is something that only he can figure out.  If you try to help, you will let yourself in for a world of pain and confusion (ask me how I know). 

My second piece of advice is to think about yourself and your needs, and to think about them as apart from him.  Otherwise you will find yourself living with someone who is making choices unilaterally, and you will find that your place is simply to go along and adjust. 

For him to say he loves your life together and doesn't want it to change is simply not believable: he wants it to change in the most far-reaching and basic of ways!  He wants to stop being a man!  What he means is that he wants to have everything he already has, and also wants more, for himself, even though it blasts apart every assumption about your life together, while depriving you of the man you were partnered with.  Think about that: to get what he wants, he demands you deprive yourself of what you want.  He is willing to sacrifice your desires to fulfill his own, and to argue at the same time that he loves your life together.  Where does that leave you in his new scheme for living?  Not as a woman who can expect her partner to put her needs first--ever.  It leaves you in the position of partner whose role is to put her partner's needs first without any expectation of reciprocity on his part.

You can see this as a glimpse and preview of what life with a trans-identified male is like: always pushing, always moving the goalposts, always demanding more of you, always wanting the next step, pouting or accusing when you ask for some consideration of your own needs, always needing validation, and manipulating you to give it to him, instead of negotiating from the position of two co-equals in a committed relationship.  Here's the awful truth: his PRIMARY relationship is NOT going to be with YOU; his PRIMARY relationship IS to HIMSELF as the woman he imagines himself as wanting to be.  

Perhaps, then, it's not a case of you not being emotionally strong enough to support him; perhaps it's a case of you being strong enough to know what is acceptable to you and what is not, and, further, knowing this isn't the way you want to live your life.  

If you are looking for more information, here are some good sources: 

Academic and Professional:
  Michael Bailey, "The Man Who Would Be Queen."  It's available online and downloadable.  Bailey is a research psychologist at Northwestern Univ.

Donna Chapman and Benjamin Caldwell: “Attachment Injury Resolution in Couples  When One Partner is Transgender”
Journal of Systemic Therapies, Vol 31, No. 2, 2012, pp36-53
(full text of article available online)

Anne Lawrence, "Men Trapped in Men's Bodies/Becoming What We Love."  Lawrence is a trans person and an MD, a psychologist who treated (now retired) trans identified males.  Lawrence maintains an online presence and there are articles there.

http://www.annelawrence.com/autogynephilia_&_MtF_typology.html

Memoirs/Accounts by Wives

Those who left:

Christine Benvenuto: "Sex Changes."     A memoir, available from Amazon.

“Naeferty”  (a pseudonym)  Naeferty ran a blog about her experiences with her own trans identified male partner.  Read the post "Gas Mark Six" and the comments.  I guarantee you won't feel so alone after you do.

A podcast: How my ex-husband’s transition made me feel
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06xvbsc

Transwidow: My Only Path to Power.  Also a blogger.  She, too, was married to an apparently happy man who decided he was trans.  Her original blog posts constituted a real time diary of what she want through, but when she began writing a memoir of her experience, she pulled a number of these posts, so you can't follow her journey as she lived it.  There are still a number of really good posts remaining, however. 

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (May 27, 2019 10:17 am)

May 27, 2019 10:32 am  #3

Welcome to a group that no one wanted to join. There are people who post here who have been in the situation that you are - a husband who wants to transition to female or take actions to feminize himself - but because this is a holiday in the U.S. you may not get a prompt response so I am jumping in even though my husband announced he was gay and wanted a divorce.

If you want to have a child or children together you will need to discuss sperm freezing with him before he starts taking hormones. Not that I am recommending bringing a child into an unstable relationship but because I am encouraging you to focus on how his decisions will affect you. When our male partners or spouses tell us that they are attracted to their own gender or announce that they really are female our first reaction usually is to try to subvert ourselves in order to help them achieve what they want.

You feelings and needs are valid so acknowledge them. Should you decide that this changed relationship isn't going to work for you you don't need to part as enemies but remember that you have as much right to happiness and fulfillment as s/he has.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

May 27, 2019 11:45 am  #4

Kaynorth, I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Please remember, you need a lot of time to grieve your old relationship, and it takes a long time for you to come to understand what you'll be able to handle for the rest of your life.  It's very early for you to be trying to figure out how to make the relationship work -- there's a point in this process where all of us have been, where we were so desperate to be the "supportive spouse" that we were tempted to accept conditions that, in the long term, we'd never ever be able to live with.  I think that's just a natural part of the progression; when I first made my discovery I imagined I'd be able to save the marriage somehow.  I hadn't yet learned all the secrets my husband had been keeping from me -- that took many more months.  

Having a child creates stress in any relationship, and if there's already a fault line in the marriage it can force a far more catastrophic breakup.

In my local SSN support group, every single one of us who has kids (of any age, of any sex) has reported that the kids are in therapy -- and this includes grown adult offspring in their mid-40's.  This is not a healthy way for children to come into  the world.

May 27, 2019 1:41 pm  #5

Hi Kaynorth, 

Sorry to hear what you are going through.   It's brutal and wrenching to say the least. 

I'd encourage you to find a counsellor just for you so that you can sort through your thoughts/feelings with professional guidance.

Best,

Leanne

May 27, 2019 1:44 pm  #6

Thank you so much for these responses, I didn't expect to hear from people so quickly. You don't even know how much of a relief it is, I can even feel my shoulders coming down from being held up tensely. I really thought, especially from google searching, that I was in the 'bad guy' role for feeling so upset and even angry. Also thank you so much for resources!! 

My fiance is a loving caring man, he hasn't switched gender pronouns or anything yet, and I think that makes this even harder because we are also best friends. He said today that he won't transition, that he will try to make it work because he is happier in his life now than to change. 
 But I don't really believe that, because if he is happier as he is now then he wouldn't have come out to me that he wants to be a woman. I think that if I just happily forget this happened and go back to normal that we will have more serious issues in a few months, or a year, or a few years. And like the last poster said, I don't want to bring a child into a relationship that could possibly have such a drastic thing happen. 

I am also devastated because I'm 31 and will be 32 in less than a year. I feel like my baby days are closing and it breaks my heart that it may not happen now. It feels a little like my time was stolen, I know that's not true because it was a good relationship, but if he could have told me 10 years ago it would have been very different.

Thank you guys so much for your responses, it feels so good to get these thoughts out loud (kind of). I'm so sorry that you all had to go through this too. It really is the loss of a partner, even if you decide to stay with your spouse in their new gender, you've lost the person you first built the relationship with. 

I also can't help but feel a loss of trust, is he who I thought he was? If this big of an identity crisis has been happening and I didn't know, are there other things? How can I trust he is being honest with me about his other thoughts?

How do I keep all the sad and confusion and even hope from turning me nuts in the meantime. Because we have to go to work, and talk to family, and act normal so that I don't give away his secret. When I feel like my world is spinning. 

Anyway, long rambling thing again. Thanks so much. 

May 27, 2019 2:03 pm  #7

Kaynorth wrote:

.........I also can't help but feel a loss of trust, is he who I thought he was? If this big of an identity crisis has been happening and I didn't know, are there other things? How can I trust he is being honest with me about his other thoughts?

How do I keep all the sad and confusion and even hope from turning me nuts in the meantime. Because we have to go to work, and talk to family, and act normal so that I don't give away his secret. When I feel like my world is spinning. ....... 

Welcome to the Forum Kaynorth. First things first....in the General Discussion section there's a "First Aid Kit" with lots of helpful advice and points to ponder and help you in the start of this journey.
Your life will change greatly....from this day on.
But you're in the right place....with the people who know EXACTLY what's happening to you. 
 The Forum is a deep well of info and experience. 

KIA KAHA                       

May 27, 2019 2:38 pm  #8

OutofHisCloset wrote:

For him to say he loves your life together and doesn't want it to change is simply not believable: he wants it to change in the most far-reaching and basic of ways!  He wants to stop being a man!  What he means is that he wants to have everything he already has, and also wants more, for himself, even though it blasts apart every assumption about your life together, while depriving you of the man you were partnered with.  

This really hit me hard! Because it's very true. I told him my feelings,I said I could support changes if he wanted to make them like enjoying more 'typically feminine' hobbies or hygiene routines but that I wouldn't be comfortable with him dressing as a woman in public or having to call him by a female name, and when I asked how that made him feel he said it 'disheartened' him.
It made me feel so sad for making him feel that way, but now I'm thinking, why is it more important that his feelings are hurt. I am 'disheartened' and sad and upset that he would want me to be ok with that huge change. Especially with only one day to have thought about it. 

Also I keep going from ok, to crying. I feel like I'm crazy. Your response was so well-written, thank you for taking the time to do that. 

May 27, 2019 3:28 pm  #9

Kaynorth,
    Yes, this is also something I experienced, my ex's feeling "disheartened" or "hurt" or "attacked" when I expressed my doubts or discomfort with his presentation or his ideas of woman.   To be told your partner is "disheartened" by your response is a way for him to subtly invalidate your feelings and call for you to feel shame for feeling the way you do, as well as an equally subtle encouragement of you to be "more accepting."  He wants to guilt you into compliance, playing on your sympathy/empathy for him.
  Here's the thing: if he wants to "transition," there is nothing holding him back.  He can do that.  But he's not taking that step; instead he's placing onto you the onus of encouraging him to take that step in the guise of being considerate of your feelings!
  My ex not only wanted me to be "ok" with that change; he demanded it.  "To the extent you can enjoy me as a woman," he said, "we have a future together."  Of course I felt this, and he meant it, as an ultimatum: get with the program or we're over.  And I, like you, reeling from the blow he'd dealt to the roots of our relationship, responded just as he no doubt expected me to: I worked very hard to make myself get in line with what he wanted.  
  Turns out my ex didn't mean it, by which I mean he wasn't going to end things.  As soon as he realized how difficult life was going to be for him as a transwoman who didn't pass (like your partner, my ex was large, tall, and hairy--decidedly unfeminine), he backed off of the idea of socially transitioning.  At first I thought this was a good thing, because like you I had said that my bright line for staying was his public presentation. It turned out to be anything but a good thing, because he used what I'd said against me: he wasn't dressing in public, so the pressure was on for me to not only accept his dressing at home, but suggest it (say, when we got home from work at the end of the day).  This did not in fact make it ok with me.  In fact, it made it worse because I was the ONLY one experiencing any consequences for his dressing and decisions.  At work, he was the same male he'd always been, so no consequences there (he used to think of himself at work as "in camouflage," which allowed him to feel as if he were putting one over on the unsuspecting people he worked with), and at home there were also no consequences for him, because he got to dress up at home, which he made clear was only his due because he wasn't dressing at work.  So I was the ONLY one who lost anything, who bore any consequences for his practices--I would come home from work and far from being able to let down and enjoy myself, I was assaulted with the reality of my husband in a bra.  And here's the thing: if it had JUST BEEN CLOTHES, I wouldn't have cared.  Wear whatever you like, whether you're male or female.    But he wore the clothes precisely because they allowed him to "feel like a woman"; they WERENT JUST CLOTHES.  
   Keep talking back--re-framing--your responses.  You are exactly right: why is it more important that HIS feelings are hurt than that YOUR feelings are hurt.  It may be more important TO HIM; but the implication is that it is more important OVERALL.  That is, your feelings are secondary.   This is how you maintain your sanity and do a reality check.  A reality check and perspective are essential to your being able to make the right decisions for YOU.  
   He is in the "pink fog" of a feminizing high, a kind of "gender euphoria," and as long as he's there, you and your feelings are not even a very distant second in importance to him.  
  I second Jen S's suggestion that you find yourself a therapist--and if that therapist speaks one sentence that suggests she or he believe it's your job to "accommodate" or "adjust," walk out of the office and look for another one who will put YOU first.  Abby is right: "you have as much right to happiness and fulfillment as s/he has."
   Post script: You actually DON'T have to KEEP HIS SECRET.  In fact, I'd encourage you to find someone in your immediate circle of family and friends to whom you can tell the truth.  You'll be amazed at how it helps.  It's even better than the relief you're feeling from posting here.

Post-post script:  I had my child at age 35.  My dissertation director had hers at 39 and 42.  It's not too late for you to have a child.  But as walkbymyself said, having a child in this situation is a guarantee of an extra burden in the future. And not to add pressure to you at a time when just getting through a day--or an hour--is a victory, I would say that if anything, your age and your desire for children might be an incentive not to do what I did and stick around for three years.  You are young enough to find another partner and have the kind of family you imagined you were going to have.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (May 27, 2019 3:44 pm)

May 27, 2019 8:46 pm  #10

Just want to add that I had my children at 36 and 37. My husband did not come out of the closet until the older one was off on his own and the younger one was away in college. During the marriage I did find that I assumed many of the traditional male roles and my husband was more motherly with the children. I suspect that when the man considers himself a woman trapped in a man's body you might also find your duties changing to include car maintenance schedules and trapping mice.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

Board footera