OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 4, 2019 5:00 pm  #21

Re: How do you detach with love?

control, thanks for responding to my post and for sharing some of your story. My heart TRULY goes out to you in this stage of your journey. I have compared the first year after disclosure to living in the aftermath of an atomic bomb explosion... all you see is smoke and debris and cannot make sense of where to even start to pick up the pieces because you can't even see pieces... only ashes and smoke. I hope you have good support around you and that you are practicing self-care as often as you can. I'm impressed that you are already at the point of realizing that asking questions about your life together will get you no where. It took me much longer... and as evidenced by my last message... I may not even be there yet. The fact that you are says a lot about your strength and wisdom. Take good care of yourself! You deserve it. 

May 4, 2019 5:02 pm  #22

Thank you, StrongerThanIKnew. I think you have it right and now that I think about it I do remember this from our counseling sessions a few years back. I appreciate the reminder! You have been very helpful. 

May 4, 2019 11:54 pm  #23

Number9, I have wrestled with this same question.  Also, I sometimes want to Tell. him. Stuff.  Humph.  For me this is especially hard because:  still living together!  And in theory, we are still “working on us.”  I am not working that out with him though.  Too dangerous because:

In the last two weeks or so, I have started to think of every conversation that involves my feelings as an emotional beating.  “What do I want from this conversation,” I am trying to ask myself.  “Is the thing I want to know, or the thing I want to express, so important that it is worth the emotional beating? Which is abso,ute,y certain to come, no matter how simple I think the th8ng might be, it is not, never, not ever.  And is it worth the hours and sometimes days it will take me to process that beating?”  Will this information change the actions I need to take? Will it change my ability to heal?”

I contrast that with the feelings I start to have when my husband is away for a few days for work.  Sure, I still feel grief and anger, and I feel worn out and confused.  And I have a lot of healing to do!  But when I keep separate from my husband , I start to heal.  When I connect with him, it not only reminds me of the past hurts and my feelings of love I am still trying to get over—it is more than a reminder of the hurt—it IS the hurt.  It is a continuation of the hurt.  It is me just jumping right back into the hurt.   Active hurt:  me looking for hurt! He will never resolve things for me.  I am trying to remember this.  Getting better at remembering but still hard. 

Don’t be a glutton for pain, number9.  Don’t go seeking it out.  There is never any resolution except in ourselves.

On another thread, I posted a link to an essay in th NYTimes.  It is great on this topic of wishing we could understand  the past, and why betrayals make it hard to heal because we do not understand the past. Ana Fels, Great Betrayals, NYTimes.

Last edited by OnMyOwnTwoFeet (May 5, 2019 1:03 am)

May 6, 2019 6:57 am  #24

Hi all, Mimi, I think it shows what sort of person you are that you want to detach with love, and I shared that hope, but the pain and anger I felt made it hard to talk to my GIDX as he was so far ahead of me in the journey of detaching. And he was NOT the person to talk to for comfort as there was nothing in it for him.  He already had known the details for so long and for me to know the extent of his betrayals and actions was never going to be good FOR HIM.  I think the most loving thing you can do is make yourself a new life and leave him to his.  AS OMOTF says, stay away and heal and ask yourself endlessly what you are needing.  I spent far too much time thinking fondly on the times when my GIDX was tender and once I really examined it I had a lightbulb moment when I remembered it was usually because I was in pieces after a verbal or emotional assault.  He was tender as the abuser is when they see the damage.  In a way a physical beating would be better.  I just cried and wept and begged for forgiveness for my deficits that he pointed out cruelly when I had the temerity to criticize him.  Ah the gratitude to be out of that situation is growing every day, but I still feel the wall of pain at times.  

Leave the universe to allow him reap the consquences of his behaviour.  And for you I am so sorry as it sucks as it isn't in our power to alter our fate here.  And to lose that control is so sad as we had such hopes and dreams that are destroyed in this situation. 

Number9 - I think it is wise to just let the history lie undisturbed.  I so wanted my GIDX to tell me the timelines and what he had been up to and with that information then perhaps healing could happen - and that is what I needed to stay if I was going to remain in the marriage and work through the reality, but when he didn't and made it clear he would not allow the past to be a topic of conversation, then I knew I couldn't stay in the closet with him still hiding his actions (betrayals).  And more importantly continuing to act as if our problems were due to my behaviour - wanting to know the truth basically.  He regretted what he did tell me and that just shows how little he valued honesty and integrity in our marriage.  So going to ask your lying ex to tell the truth when he probably hasn't done so for a long time is a sort of fool's errand.  

Last edited by Leah (May 6, 2019 7:06 am)

May 9, 2019 3:39 pm  #25

OnMyOwnTwoFeet, you bring out may excellent questions to ask prior to "climbing in the (emotional) ring" with our gay ex-or-current husbands, who so obviously have problems with truth and honesty in the first place. The fact that you feel healing starting to happen when he is not there is exactly how it was for me. I did not feel emotionally safe until he moved out. No longer needing to care about where he was, who he was with, and what he was doing with who he was with started my journey to healing and being OK without him. And forcing myself to stop trying to fix (resolve) something that could never be fixed (which is often the impetus behind seeking for truth) propelled me forward along the healing path. Just recently (after being apart and not communicating for two years), I started to go back into "fixing" mode in wanting to write to him and reopen the past. So thanks to you all for pulling me back off the cliff of insanity and into the world of reality... where perpetrators of pain do not become reliable rescuers.  

May 9, 2019 9:33 pm  #26

Number9, Thank you for your words of wisdom. My GIDXH just moved out 4 weeks ago. Although, there is still overwhelming sadness, there is also such relief that I no longer have to play detective. I no longer have to listen to another version of his truth. I can now see my Reality so clearly. Onward.......

Board footera