OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 5, 2021 3:50 pm  #41

Re: Your experience with lack of affection and intimacy?

Ordinary guy wrote:

It is not within my power to help her realise anything. If we are dealing with deep seated denial, then the psychological manifestation of this is evident in the vulnerable self behaviours. This takes the form of projection on to me in the form of abuse. The trope that developed over the last few years was that I was “always in the way”.  I couldn’t understand what exactly I was in the way of, until I stepped back and looked at the changes in behaviour over a period of years. I asked if she would entertain the idea of going to relationship counselling to help us rediscover some sort of intimate connection in an effort to help me recover from the deep depression I am battling. I also said that I am being treated in line with domestic abuse recovery. I asked if at the very least, the abusive behaviour could stop to allow myself some breathing space and that I was frankly becoming increasingly desperate and suicidal. What did I get as a response. That I have effectively been a cancer in her life for the last thirty years and that we should just call it a day and split up. I have said over and over again that I want to try and work things out, but there is no desire on her part to even acknowledge the fact that her treatment of me is abnormal at all.
 If TGT lies at the her mental issues, then I think that as a fellow human let alone husband I have a duty to try and get her to accept this. This is not for my benefit, but for my son’s. He does not need to see his Mother behave like this. I don’t want him to think that this is what a relationship with anyone should look like. This whole fragile ego and self-hatred thing projected on to me  could be down to a deeply repressed and denied unconscious true self.

4877 days….

OG. a couple of questions, how old is your son and is he similar to you - ie are you friends with him, does he have a sense of humour you enjoy, is he intelligent and kindly?

You are being treated for domestic abuse recovery and you've already had a heart attack - it's a warning sign you don't want to ignore.  Nor is the domestic abuse.  

The idea that she is hiding from herself and would be nicer if she wasn't is a furphy.  denial doesn't mean don't know it means not telling.  not telling you that is.

when you ask her to stop the abuse and she calls you a cancer in her life that is DARVO.  It's deliberate, comes as natural as breathing to an abusive type - now she is the victim and you are her punching bag.  

It seems to me that you are smarting under the unfairness of it.  She gets to waltz off into the sunset with her girlfriend while you face the massive losses of a divorce.  You hurt, she doesn't.  

July 5, 2021 5:24 pm  #42

longwayhome wrote:

Ouch, no offence intended MJM. Yes, we all will find our own paths and every situation is different.

Perhaps if these situations were out in the open and research was actually conducted, there would be better therapies that could be developed and real help could be offered to people instead of what we are all trying to do on our own.

Anger, can be managed and there are effective ways of dealing with it, without becoming criminal in nature. Again just my opinion.

Wishing everyone a nice day.

Edited to add:  you want to see the real damage it does, read the stories on the new subreddit. It’s mental abuse and they can’t stop it to help themselves. There in one telling her story now. This woman is in pure mental anguish and she is allowing herself to be subjected to this.  My heart breaks for her. All to stay in her MOM.
https://www.reddit.com/r/StraightBiPartners/

Hi longwayhome,

I sometimes don't repeat what I went through, but I will from now on. It seems like people don't remember.

My late GIDXH hit me regularly and threatened my life.  It's obviously made TGT pale in comparison. That's why I mention crime. I'm a victim of a crime by my late GIDXH. He was arrested and put in jail.

It's not's a great idea to bring in Reddit posts without people's permission. It's intrusive and not a move someone should make on a public board.  I would not like seeing my posts discussed on another forum.

I would never consent to a MOM in a million years.  It's simply not for me. People have the right to do what they want though. Am not bothered by it.

Maria

Last edited by MJM017 (July 5, 2021 5:37 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

July 5, 2021 5:58 pm  #43

Upside wrote:

Wishing there were avenues to fund this work. It seems SSN is doing initial research, but their focus seems (rightfully) split. Research is necessary to properly communicate the severity of the issue and advocate for the creation of proper support therapies and material.

It takes forever and hard to say it will be effective across the board. My mom has borderline personality disorder. It developed before I was born. I didn't know what it was until I was in my early 20s. Research was published on it around that time and a self-help book came out:  I Hate You - Don't Leave Me: Understanding the Borderline Personality by Hal Straus and Jerold Jay Kreisman

30 years later, there's still no clear protocol for loved ones of this disorder.  I have given up on it with therapists.   

It's best to advocate for yourself with therapists and move along slowly with SSN. I think they're doing a great job.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

July 5, 2021 10:21 pm  #44

Maria,
 Reddit is a public forum.  The subs aren't private.  You may not be able to post without registering, but anything anyone posts is public.  Everyone on Reddit knows this.  If you want to keep something private, you don't post on Reddit.  The same is true of this Forum.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (July 5, 2021 10:23 pm)

July 6, 2021 5:40 am  #45

lily wrote:

Ordinary guy wrote:

It is not within my power to help her realise anything. If we are dealing with deep seated denial, then the psychological manifestation of this is evident in the vulnerable self behaviours. This takes the form of projection on to me in the form of abuse. The trope that developed over the last few years was that I was “always in the way”.  I couldn’t understand what exactly I was in the way of, until I stepped back and looked at the changes in behaviour over a period of years. I asked if she would entertain the idea of going to relationship counselling to help us rediscover some sort of intimate connection in an effort to help me recover from the deep depression I am battling. I also said that I am being treated in line with domestic abuse recovery. I asked if at the very least, the abusive behaviour could stop to allow myself some breathing space and that I was frankly becoming increasingly desperate and suicidal. What did I get as a response. That I have effectively been a cancer in her life for the last thirty years and that we should just call it a day and split up. I have said over and over again that I want to try and work things out, but there is no desire on her part to even acknowledge the fact that her treatment of me is abnormal at all.
 If TGT lies at the her mental issues, then I think that as a fellow human let alone husband I have a duty to try and get her to accept this. This is not for my benefit, but for my son’s. He does not need to see his Mother behave like this. I don’t want him to think that this is what a relationship with anyone should look like. This whole fragile ego and self-hatred thing projected on to me  could be down to a deeply repressed and denied unconscious true self.

4877 days….

OG. a couple of questions, how old is your son and is he similar to you - ie are you friends with him, does he have a sense of humour you enjoy, is he intelligent and kindly?

You are being treated for domestic abuse recovery and you've already had a heart attack - it's a warning sign you don't want to ignore.  Nor is the domestic abuse.  

The idea that she is hiding from herself and would be nicer if she wasn't is a furphy.  denial doesn't mean don't know it means not telling.  not telling you that is.

when you ask her to stop the abuse and she calls you a cancer in her life that is DARVO.  It's deliberate, comes as natural as breathing to an abusive type - now she is the victim and you are her punching bag.  

It seems to me that you are smarting under the unfairness of it.  She gets to waltz off into the sunset with her girlfriend while you face the massive losses of a divorce.  You hurt, she doesn't.  

One of the first things to alert me to an under lying issue here was the fact that there was no other man or desire to seek one out. I even said that I could live with that if it made her happy. Yes, it would hurt but “shit happens”. In life. If I am repeatedly told that I am never enough then go and find a man that is, or shut up and put up. If this has been (and I expect to be) a lifelong issue of a failure to understand this unconscious preference, then there is a possibility that the conscious mind has set TGT behind its own “firewall” creating a state of self denial. I am taking a very careful and almost surgical approach to finding the hidden truth. I could give in to emotion and charge in like a bull in a china shop only to find that:

A) II am wrong, and there is another underlying reason that ‘i’ will then struggle to uncover.

B) I am right, and there is a complete shutdown a full breakdown in communication as the last defence.

C) I am right, and the subsequent out pouring of repression leads to collateral emotional damage to my son and wife.

D) I am right and the sudden revelation leads to a personal identity crisis and realisation of the genuine damage done.

One of the things I know for sure is that my wife does not have any self-righteousness in her make-up. She does not present a sense of entitlement and has always struggled with self-esteem and confidence. This may be due to repression and denial of true self. She is not an inherently “bad” person and cares deeply for others. I think that if she was conscious of this issue, then she would be terrified of the reaction it would get from our personal circle if it was made known. Yes, I have been hurt in all of this, but I do not want any more casualties if I can help it. I am being driven away for no apparent reason as far as I can tell. I think that if I was just to give up and leave, then after a suitable period of time another sapphic rainbow butterfly would emerge without any recrimination or shame. I would be the bad guy who abandoned the marriage and no one would ever know what I have been through.fThe closer I get, the more defensive obstacles I come up against. I want the truth for all of our sakes. That will be my “why” that leads to my “how”.

4879 days…..

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret. It is only with the heart that one can see clearly that which is essential is invisible to the eye.

July 6, 2021 3:15 pm  #46

but, but but but she spluttered - your entire list of possibilities were all based on the belief that she doesn't know she is gay.  

Sorry.  

but what about the possibility that she knows she is gay but is not being honest with you about it.  

July 6, 2021 3:26 pm  #47

longwayhome wrote:

C) I am right, and the subsequent out pouring of repression leads to collateral emotional damage to my son and wife.

I would add you in this option: add possible psychological abuse in the mix too. I’m not sure of the age of your son, but it is a super critical consideration. Again, just my opinion.

Lundy Bancroft is your answer. Add in your own personal flavour, but make sure you follow the script.

It will minimize the chance of adding to the already toxic mix that exits within them, it’s not in you, don’t feed into any of it.

Think if it as s type of skilled fencing (as in sport, sad I know, but it is what is is). She’s had the skills all along, it’s us who is behind the eight ball, so to speak. We didn’t even know we were playing at this.

We each must follow our own paths. But there are definite pathways one can choose to take that will at least minimize risk of harm, including for the offending spouse.

You don’t truly know what you are dealing with. A lot of this, in my opinion, touches on their own mental health wellness.

Your son can’t make any of these decisions to protect his own mental health. Perhaps he is totally dependent you to ensure this. Regardless of age, it all has negative impacts no matter how you slice it.
Take care.

Pardon me. Who is Lundy Bancroft?

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret. It is only with the heart that one can see clearly that which is essential is invisible to the eye.

July 6, 2021 3:37 pm  #48

lily wrote:

but, but but but she spluttered - your entire list of possibilities were all based on the belief that she doesn't know she is gay.  

Sorry.  

but what about the possibility that she knows she is gay but is not being honest with you about it.  

Or she isn't gay. 
Edited:  Sorry. I see this possibility is covered in A. 

Last edited by Lynne (July 6, 2021 3:52 pm)

July 6, 2021 3:42 pm  #49

Lundy Bancroft author of  "Why Does He Do That? inside the minds of angry and controlling men"

July 6, 2021 3:52 pm  #50

lily wrote:

Sorry.  

I will gauge whether or not she was conscious of it by the responses I get as I turn the screw. I do not have a belief in regard to her not knowing. But it is still a possibility that I will vector in. There has not been any infidelity on her part, nor any evidence of any predilection toward homo erotic desire as a smoking gun. I think if it is present in her conscious mind, it is deliberately repressed. What would be unforgivable from my point of view would be not communicating this revelation to me, and therefore locking me in to a custom made closet for two. To take away my choice in the matter, and then to subsequently take out all of her burgeoning frustration on her “beard”.  Well that would be unforgivable in anyone’s book. Wouldn’t it?

Board footera