OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 7, 2016 2:03 am  #11

Re: Mixed Orientation Marriages - Pathways to Success

Leslie, I do know what you are referring to about derogatory references to gay spouses & I ABSOLUTELY agree with you. It is hurtful, distasteful & completely unnecessary to state one's point and quite frankly, it's very low classy. I am a huge supporter of the LGBT community in my city and was very active & vocal about the cause. My issue is not "with them", but simply my husband & his conniving & deceit behavior. He just so happens to be TG, which is why I'm here. I believe 99% of the SSN members have the same non-homophobic views. I also think it's important not to label someone homophobic & a bigot simply because they take issue with their spouse's actions. It does everyone a disservice in hopes of real & open dialogue. This "shutdown" of dialogue is evident in the fact that people need a "secret board" like this one, to discuss their feelings. A good example is Kris Jenner. The woman chimes in on everything for ratings & a paycheck & optimizes every photo op possible, yet she has not said a thing about HER feelings on her husband's transition because she knows she would be labelled a bigot if she said anything other than compliance & support. 

I hope you find *just* the right advice, support & dialogue you need to help you find clarity, where ever that is.

Dee: How you are NOT a 24/7 angry bitter crank after those years is amazing & a testament to a LOT of work. Kudos to you.

Last edited by whatasham24 (September 7, 2016 2:06 am)

September 7, 2016 2:56 am  #12

Leslie wrote:

And, even if we choose to divorce I don't think I would be into the gay shaming I see here. I have seen posts referring to husbands as "fairies" and other derogatory terms. My husbands ssa is not his fault and no matter how it hurts we have decided to treat one another with dignity and respect.

There have been nearly 1900 posts here since June when this forum started. I try to read or at least skim every one although I have apparently missed some. While I have seen some "narcissist shaming" I don't recall derogatory gay terms being used. I may have missed them, but if they are there, they must be quite rare.
Also wondering why you chose to hijack this particular thread, as it started as something I suspect you were looking for in the first place.
Try the "Alternate Path" secret group, link on the SSN website. You will find what you need there.

September 7, 2016 11:22 am  #13

I've seen the term "Lezex" used, and I realize that some people find it derogatory.  I haven't seen anyone being referred to here as "fairies".  I don't think I've ever seen that here or on the previous board - ever.  I also don't see general disgust for gay people in general so much as for their actions to their spouses - mostly lying, cheating, deceiving, gas lighting, etc.  I have seen narcissists put down, but again - precisely for those same reasons.  Which I think is fair.  I put my ex down for some of those, and he's not a narcissist.  I have a brother-in-law who is a narcissist, and when I put him down (when talking to others in real life), it's not for being a narcissist, but for the atrocities he's committed against my sibling.  I think most people here are the same - they are wounded by their spouse's behavior, and they hold that against them - and rightfully so.  I don't think any of us here are gay bashing or against the gay community in general.  Nor do we think that being gay is something our spouse chose.  I myself view it as something that "happened" to my ex, and by extension, me.  I only hold him responsible for not telling me that he knew, and keeping me in the dark - which wounded my self-esteem.  I fault him for throwing me under the bus and saving himself.  I think that's pretty much how we all feel.

As for M.O.M., if it works for you, more power to you.  Whatever floats your boat and doesn't hurt others.  I just happen to think that most st8 spouses who choose that path are falling on the sword and acting like it's not killing them.  I don't want that for people, and I won't blow sunshine up anyone's ass about what they're choosing and how it will likely affect them.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

September 7, 2016 12:42 pm  #14

Leslie - I do wish you luck with your search.  I'm willing to bet there are a ton of MOM support groups out there where the majority of people are trying to make a MOM work. 

I find it sad that as a society we've become scared to even express our own thoughts in our own group.  We have people who will go to straight spouse groups to shame them in their own support group.  It's clearly becoming common place to take away free speech and shame someone into G rating everything they want to say even in their darkest hours. 

I don't see a lot of derogatory comments on here, but if I do see an occasional "fairy" comment or whatever the case may be, know that it's that person's right to say whatever they hell they want inside of their support group.  Sometimes we say things out of resentment and anger.  We are NOT yelling these things at our spouses, we are sharing among a group of people who have walked in our shoes, who understand our feelings, and who KNOW that sometimes cussing and swearing and name calling is going to happen during a healing process.  Working through anger does a lot of things to a person.  If you don't like the tone of a support group, simply move on.  It's not a forum for opinions of those who want to tell people how to grieve or heal.

Again, maybe your MOM will work.  I truly hope it does.  But please focus on your healing and your relationship.  Don't come here to shame other people.

September 12, 2016 6:04 pm  #15

Wow! Again, I am very sorry for offending any of you. I chose this thread because it started out as a subject I was interested in. I don't feel I hijacked anything or set out to shame anyone. This thread has made me question whether attending my local meeting is something I should do. I feel attacked and out of place. Let me say again...I wish you all the best in whatever works for you. You all deserve happiness and contentment. I will leave you all in peace.

September 12, 2016 7:17 pm  #16

Leslie,
imagine someone from this (or any board) hopping on over to another forum that is predominantly made up of MOMs and that newbie chimes in on their first visit that everyone *there* seems to be weak & spineless, that it's maybe not the right forum for them......you bet you'd see defenders putting that newbie/UNREGISTERED guest to task and they would have some pretty strong opinions defending their stance.

All the responses to your comment all explained how 99.9% of members here are not against LGBT, but rather their secret & deceptive spouses, who happen to be LGBT. You seem to have gotten your knickers in a twist over nothing, from the very get go.... Perhaps your defensive position stems from your own confusion & insecurity, afterall, you are seeking advise on the very sunbject. It's okay, we've all been there, just direct your anger where it is productive, instead of at fellow hurting spouses. 

So thank you for your final ApologizingNotApologising, but take a step back and look at how You are perceived, not simply slam people that don't think the same as you. 

Ciao,
Sham

Last edited by whatasham24 (September 12, 2016 7:24 pm)

September 12, 2016 11:21 pm  #17

Leslie,
Hate to say but it depends on the meeting and facilitator. And of course the makeup of the group. I know in the one I am affiliated with you would be welcome and accepted and meet some in the same position as you. There are also some "angry" ones. There are some outstanding inclusive groups in the SF Bay area and in Houston, not sure of others.

September 12, 2016 11:55 pm  #18

Leslie if you go to the Straight Spouse Network home page and look under 'resources' then 'online groups' there are a couple of closed groups there for people trying to maintain a MOM.

I have posted here for a long time on and off and I can never remember a time when this open, public group did not have it's share of angry people or conservative folk who struggled with the very notion of being in a MOM.

I'm confident that if you look hard enough you will find the support you need on SSN... This just might not be the best spot for you

You have a future. A good one. It begins as a flicker of hope. Nurture it until it becomes a dream and when you are strong enough you will make it a reality. NEVER give up. 

October 5, 2016 1:21 pm  #19

I'm jumping in to this thread a bit late but I've enjoyed the exchanges. (Maybe it's because I live in Europe where strident argument is seen as positive.) My only experience with mixed orientation marriages and same sex attraction is from the now cancelled TV show "My Husband Is Not Gay" from TLC. So what I'm about to write is 100% personal opinion, without any scientific foundation.

​The only people who use the expression "same sex attraction" are people too terrified to say "gay" and this includes both the SSA spouse and their enabler. ​My feeling is that if you've always had a sexless marriage, then your spouse suddenly announces he/she wants an open marriage, and euphemistically describes their sexual orientation as same-sex attraction, honey you're getting the short end of the stick. They've now redefined the marriage as: I get to have sex with the same sex, you still get no sex, and yet still stay in this sham of a marriage while breaking your heart.

There is a simple test as to whether you're on equal terms in a mixed orientation marriage. When your spouse hits the marriage reset button and gives you the new terms, exclaim "Oh that's wonderful!" and tell them you too have been hooking up on the side for years, you CAN'T WAIT to formalize your relationship with a long-term lover, and thank him/her for having the courage to discuss it because you too have SSA. Then start planning out your weekends away with your new boyfriend/girlfriend/f*ck buddy, and see how long your partner sticks around. My feeling is most wives in newly-minted MOMs are left with the bulk of the child rearing and domestic duties while their errant husbands f*ck around even more blatantly than before. So my feeling: what's good for the SSA spouse is also applicable for the non-SSA spouse. You get to have an open relationship as well, not just waiting by the window for your gay spouse to return. MOMs aren't partnership in my opinion: they're slavery.

October 5, 2016 1:35 pm  #20

Sean, I really appreciate your voice here!  And I agree wholeheartedly with everything you've said above.  If you are in a situation where you're both okay with getting your needs met outside the relationship, and you're both doing so, then okay - maybe that'll work for you.  But then I don't consider that a marriage so much as a roommate situation.  I don't feel that's how most of the straight partners enter into the M.O.M.s, though; they feel pressured to let their spouse do whatever they want in order to keep them, never realizing that they've already lost them if they're even at that point.  It's a Hail Mary of desperation that usually winds up not working out in the end anyway.  Even in a marriage where the st8 partner really isn't all that interested in sex anyway, they still find their needs not getting met - because their partner is off running around without them to self-satisfy.  That's not marriage, either.  You're so right when you say that a MOMs are slavery.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

Board footera