OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 7, 2020 3:53 pm  #41

Re: in denial

My replies in red  

in denial wrote:

Hi. I appreciate your response.
I don’t know what I’m doing. At first I said i didn’t want a divorce. I think you do know what you're doing...you just can't get your head around the fact you actually do know
I said I would stay provided he was open and honest.
But as time has gone by. Not much from him. 
He’s not admitted he’s gay. Does it matter anymore....really? if he admits it?
Just that he was in an emotional affair for over 40 yrs.
wtf !!!!!
Worse part. He leaves me still gaslighted. Fk ! But if you Know it's gaslighting...can you start telling him you know? 
Sorry I hope you don’t mind the swearing. You have a right to spell out the whole word, not just parts of it

I’m now in a different place. Still fkd up. But indifferent. Almost floating.Indifferent. Yip....indifference is a kind of wall we erect so as not to be hurt. In our situation (in my opinion) indifference is a good thing
So is he.
I think he’s indifferent too.
Says he doesn’t want me to go.Of course they don't want us to go....lol
But He sees my distance is real. Keep it real, it's the only way to figure it all out (again...in my opinion)
Without his participation in this mess. Is his participation really necessary to your happiness anymore? I mean if he suddenly starting participating (whatever that means to you) in your r'ship....would you have trust in him again?  
Where does he leave me.
Invalidated, hurt,lost, and finding my new me .
His silence leaves me nowhere.

Not sure I’m staying.
My beautiful Adult kids don’t know. You HAVE TO tell your adult children. They deserve honesty from at least one of their parents
They may think something is weird.
I’m far more independent then I ever was. I don’t seek permission anymore .This is good
I picture my self alone more then ever. But better than being with him yes?
Contacted a realtor to look for a condo I could rent. Potentially my place eventually.
Will this happen. Who knows.
But that’s where I am ....I choose this.
But I’m Definitely in limbo  I know about being in Limbo, but knowing we're in it is better than being unaware we are in it.......

Elle

Last edited by Ellexoh_nz (June 7, 2020 4:06 pm)

KIA KAHA                       

June 7, 2020 5:14 pm  #42

Dear In Denial,
  One of the things I found when I finally left my now-ex, was that although before I left I had a pretty good idea of what problems or limitations I might encounter after I left, and my fears, I didn't at all understand that there were good things that could happen that I couldn't predict or know about.  So, for example, I lucked into an apartment that was an excellent deal and absolutely perfect for me, but when I was thinking about leaving, it never occurred to me something like this might ever happen.  When I moved into that apartment, I found that people I didn't expect to be helpful or compassionate were: one person I knew offered me his truck to move when I told him I was divorcing; others brought me housewarming gifts for my new place, no questions asked. 

And then there were the things I couldn't have imagined because before I left I was not in a frame of mind to imagine them: suddenly I was no longer walking on eggshells or reacting to my ex's moods (because I wasn't living with him anymore).  For me, getting out meant I was no longer having to engage in the kind of feeling and thinking that you are engaging in because you are in the situation: no more negotiating, no more gaslighting, no more ruminating, no more being preoccupied with what is really his problem. 

Once I removed myself, his problem was my problem no longer, and I could occupy my mind thinking about what I wanted and how to go about working toward that.  Yes, there was grief.  Lots of it.  Yes, there was pain.  Lots of it.  Yes, there was anger (there still is, periodically).  Recovery takes time.  Some losses are permanent.  But mostly there is relief, freedom, peace, honesty, and the feeling that I am in control of my own life.  Which is not to say that life is all smooth sailing once you leave, but once you leave you can set your own course and sail toward it, and at least you don't have to worry about someone else's actions capsizing you.

One of the best things I did for myself, and believe is useful to everyone in this situation, is to get some distance between you and your partner, if only for a brief time.  Remove yourself from the situation, and you will find that your perspective can shift. 

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (June 7, 2020 5:19 pm)

June 7, 2020 7:39 pm  #43

Deleted

Last edited by MJM017 (July 11, 2021 7:03 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

June 16, 2020 9:13 am  #44

In denial:  I'm so sorry for all the pain you're enduring.

You'd written that "experts" counsel against telling children unless you're divorcing.  I haven't heard this, but to the extent there could be expertise out there ... they might be thinking about situations where an otherwise viable marriage is simply going through some stress.

For us, there are no experts.  Nobody wrote the instruction manual.  We're the only experts. all of us.

Children (including adult children) are only going to be as strong as the foundation we lay for them, and if their foundation is built on quicksand, sooner or later that will be revealed.  Postponing that moment to some date late in life makes things worse, not better.  If they're going to find out, eventually, that their father is gay ... let them find out as early as possible.  The bigger shock to them might be that their mother lied to them their whole life.

June 20, 2020 12:02 pm  #45

Hello.
I read your posts. Sorry for the delay.
All good info.
I really appreciate this forum and supports.

What I do with iinfo ?  I Know some things but I still don’t know.

Last night I told him I’m thinking of  leaving and
I can’t stand his silence.

His response.  I want to stay married. I never wanted a divorce.

I hold Out hope for his truth.
I know I’ll be lucky if I hear it.
But ! You’re right !
It would never be enough for all the yrs of endured pain.

Almost 2yrs of finding out and 32 yrs of being together.
I’m Still wading my way through the weeds.
What should I do and how do I do this.
Stay or leave.

My Continuous cousel is my guidance.
She’s been sooooo good for me.

So has your support.
Thank you 🙏

June 20, 2020 2:15 pm  #46

in denial wrote:

.........What I do with iinfo ? I Know some things but I still don’t know..........
I can’t stand his silence........I hold Out hope for his truth.
I know I’ll be lucky if I hear it..........
It would never be enough for all the yrs of endured pain..........Almost 2yrs of finding out and 32 yrs of being together..........I’m Still wading my way through the weeds.
What should I do and how do I do this.
....... 🙏

I reckon you should change your Forum name

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera