OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2019 6:59 pm  #11

Re: GIDH thinks couples therapy will fix us

"And when you are dealing with a master liar, what can you do? They are going to be good at painting a picture of you as over-reacting, uptight, crazy, etc. So I think that's really common, and not confined to those struggling with TGT, but rather a mark of almost any cheater/abuser.

But when you have no idea what is going on in your house when you aren't there -- when you can't trust them with a key like you would a nanny or pet sitter or friend -- well, it gave me such a high level of feeling panicked and unsafe that *even I* could recognize that a truly loving spouse would not ask their partner to live with that anxiety and unsafe feeling as though that should be normal. When a well meaning friend said, Maybe you could stay together and you could agree to install a nanny cam to monitor his activities... well, I am pretty sure healthy marriages don't include a security guard in front of a bank of cameras.

So don't give in to these attempts to blameshift or make this your problem to solve. You do deserve relationships built on trust with adults who take responsibility for their actions. That's not an "extra" in a marriage, it's the foundation, and I don't care what kind of stellar building sits atop it--it will tumble over every time if that foundation isn't there."

Perfectly said Estella. Sometimes I think these therapists need duct tape therapy. (Over their lips to shut them up.)
I'm starting to think the ones that agree with the cheating spouse and try to keep couples together are gay themselves or just pocketing a lot of change on your time clock. Questions to ponder through various posters that have been there done that, I'd like to repeat as reminders that may help. Such as, 
> Does it matter if they are really gay, bi, straight, freak or whatever?= They cannot be trusted.
> Why would someone go to such lengths and take the massive risks involved with TGT just to get laid?
Excuses I've heard:
> They were horny and had needs.= Well isn't that what your spouse is for? You know the one over there complaining that they need more sex?
> They didn't see it as cheating if it's with the same sex.= Oh, if you didn't think you were cheating then why did you go to such great measures to hide it?
> It's easier with men and there are no emotions involved.= So I guess these emotional breakdowns your having now that your busted or the stress trying to plan these things out to ensure that you don't get caught or go to jail is easier than a quick whack job with your own hand? Piece of cake huh?
> They were just curious...not gay or bi..= Really? Curious as to what divorce feels like?....Humiliation, embarrassment when the whole town thinks you're gay when I tell them? Curious about how many anonymous hookups you can have before you catch an STD? Is it anything like football?
> They were just wondering what a penis felt like...as if they never felt their own. 

I could go on and on but it doesn't change the fact that they don't change simply because they can't.
They are gay. Period. And no human can change that. 

Life is like phases of the moon.... We really only see it when it's beautiful, full and in our face. 

January 9, 2019 7:14 pm  #12

Scrupulous and Estella, you bring up great points.

It seems to boil down to the fact that (for most of us) it is impossible to trust the gay spouse once they've cheated and declared that they are gay. If they are truly gay and the only thing that can make them sexually satisfied is same sex intercourse, then why would they deny that for themselves? Especially after they've already proven they are capable of cheating. The feeling of never knowing what your spouse is doing when you aren't around is HELL.

I remember reading on here that someone said they don't believe any of the gay spouses who have claimed not to have acted on it. I tend to agree, maybe not to 100% perfect accuracy, but it does seem that many times the spouse comes out claiming to have been faithful but later it's discovered that they were not.

January 11, 2019 8:56 pm  #13

Thank you all so much for your great points. I totally agree. I’ll keep you posted.

Last edited by Mimi (January 11, 2019 9:07 pm)

January 20, 2019 11:34 am  #14

So we are going to try couples therapy now. I guess I’m hoping that the therapist who is also a sex therapist, see what I’m seeing and prove that I’m not losing my mind.

I know that this should be the focus of our session and also i want to avoid somehow becoming responsible for his sexual orientation.

Any advice on how to handle the therapy? To be honest, my gut feeling tells me he’s gay and not bisexual. Should I bring this up in the session or let the therapist get there? Does it even matter? I think the fact that he’s bi is already a deal breaker for me. I don’t trust him that he’s never acted on it. His online history proves otherwise. I can’t trust the future, living in doubt and fear.

He wants to make it about trust. Asks me to trust him that he’ll never act on it in the future. But does it even matter? I’ve been unhappy and in a sexless marriage. How is couples therapy going to magically change it all?

Sorry for rambling. Any advice is much appreciated.

January 20, 2019 1:25 pm  #15

Mimi,

Its interesting to me because I had an spouse that was blatantly cheating and did not want to be married anymore...there was no question of her wanting to save the marriage.   

I went to therapy for myself so i could wrap my head around how cruel i was being treated.  When i got back from therapy she asked me if i "learned what I did wrong"? 
I was like huh? Wtf?  In my mind i was like I learned that im married to a gay cheating wife.

While some say they never knew their spouse because of TGT I will say I knew my then wife and knew she would never go to therapy with me and I knew in my bones if she did she would blame everything including the gayness and cheating on me. To this day she lives in an alternate reality or really by a different set of broken morals. 

I'm not sure what you hope to get out of the therapy with him..an admission or an im sorry?  Whatever you learn I admire your strength and courage for going..
I would say be prepared to be more hurt and for him to  cast blame for his actions on you.  Know that there is nothing you could have done to cause his gayness or actions.. Dont let the  therapist convince you otherwise.   I would,say if the therapist makes one of those naive ignorant statements like "there are 2 sides to every marriage problem" to get up and walk out.

Wishing you strength and fortitude..

Last edited by Rob (January 20, 2019 1:27 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

January 20, 2019 3:29 pm  #16

ThisSeason wrote:

I remember reading on here that someone said they don't believe any of the gay spouses who have claimed not to have acted on it. I tend to agree, maybe not to 100% perfect accuracy, but it does seem that many times the spouse comes out claiming to have been faithful but later it's discovered that they were not.

My sense is that when your spouse tells you they think they're gay ... chances are they already know they're gay.  When they say they think they want to explore these "feelings" ... chances are they already have.  The point it, having this conversation, from their point of view, is a huge risk, and you don't even introduce the topic if it hasn't really been weighing on your mind for a long time.  You don't even bring it up ... if there's a chance in a million it's not already a done deal.

We don't have the luxury of having perfect knowledge here.  We get educated guesses, nothing more, and we need to proceed using working assumptions.  You know your own spouse far better than we do, but we also know what it's like to think you know someone and find out you're wrong.  I tell people that they should be prepared for the possibility that their spouse is lying to them about how far they've gone in "exploring" their "feelings".  Maybe they're telling you the truth, but you should prepare yourself for at least the possibility they have been working this out mentally (and possibly physically) for a very long time before they decided to broach the topic with you.

I can tell you that one thing I've never seen posted here is "My husband thought he might be gay and wanted to explore that side of his sexuality, but he insisted he'd never cheated on me.  So I said great, we're good, you just explore away and report back to me what you discover.  So then he did, and came back and said wow, he discovered he has absolutely no same-sex urges whatsoever!  So it's great we cleared that little bit of confusion up, and now we're living happily ever after."

I've never seen anyone post that.

Last edited by walkbymyself (January 20, 2019 3:31 pm)

January 20, 2019 7:54 pm  #17

Mimi wrote:

Any advice on how to handle the therapy? To be honest, my gut feeling tells me he’s gay and not bisexual. Should I bring this up in the session or let the therapist get there? Does it even matter? I think the fact that he’s bi is already a deal breaker for me. I don’t trust him that he’s never acted on it. His online history proves otherwise. I can’t trust the future, living in doubt and fear.

He wants to make it about trust. Asks me to trust him that he’ll never act on it in the future. But does it even matter? I’ve been unhappy and in a sexless marriage. How is couples therapy going to magically change it all?

Sorry for rambling. Any advice is much appreciated.

Hello Mimi,

I am going to therapy with my STBE, whom first told me he was bi, and later on gay. We have a baby together so it is good for me, for now, to have a neutral space where I bring everything that I need to get off my chest regarding the subject, or that for practical reasons I need to discuss. I believe therapy, both individual and couples, only works if there is honesty, there is no point if you think he is lying to himself and to you. If you think he is going to be honest an open up is a different story.

I relate soooooo much to how he wants to make it about you and your lack of trust in that “he is not going to act on it”, so why would you be anxious or worried!!  Three years ago I received an email from my stbe about how he was thinking way too much about men to be married with a woman. When he saw he was losing me he backed up from it, and said that he would never act on it anyway, and made it all about how I was not able to trust him, and how he had done nothing. The thing is he may not have been with anybody yet, he swears, but he majorly ACT on it when some months ago he told me he would not be intimate with me anymore, and that he was gay. He ACTIVELY broke our marriage and family.

My marriage was also almost sexless and very frustrating, lots of excuses about it (his body disphoria, being asexual, extra weight, identifying as a woman later and rejecting his own genitals, and I am sure I am forgetting one or two) Now, together with the bisexual thing, I see is as a major red flag.

Go with your gut, set your boundaries, and if you end up going to therapy have a previous understanding of what you need it for and what can you get from it. If it is not serving your needs maybe it is not necessary at that point.

I hope this helps, sending strength and good vibes your way.

January 20, 2019 8:56 pm  #18

Mimi, you and I are in very similar place, teh only difference is that I finished my couple s therapy.  Even if my therapist was not able to mail the sexual orientation issues (Although he s also a sex therapist), he was honest enough to tell us from the beginning that he only does short therapy, so he planned 5 and we ended up doing 8 sessions.  I m happy I did not lost more time on this.  Today I spent some time in silence and looking  at myself in the mirror and I could just see a liar, an actress.  I was lying to myself all this time.  I was pretending I was not seeing the obvious, playing the role of the happy wife who had her life well put together while inside I was so broken.  I spent some time in silence with myself and I could hear this angry woman who was insulting me because I denied her the right to enjoy sex as much as she deserved it.  I rejected that part of myself who wanted to be passionately loved and desired because good girls have to behave a certain way.  

And now after hearing what this angry woman inside of me told me I feel just disgusted with myself.  The real therapy you need girl is for yourself.  You need to understand what brought you and keep there.  

On another side I still love my husband and it s very confusing sometimes.  teh little sex we had was pretty great, so I still want to believe.  I found myself thinking of a romantic bath for the 2 of us this week end, something we did only once, the night we married each other.

So no matter how hurt we are, we stay humans.  Keep in mind that your husband is probably also suffering a lot inside because of TGT.  Recognizing that should help you understand the best way to approach the therapy.  

Yes he is suffering, but it is not your job to fix him.  He can only fix himself when he decides to admit the reality and you can t do that for him.  On another side you are the only one who can save yourself.  Something I found useful is to do at least one thing every day to save myself.  Reading or contributing to this forum helps a lot.  Read the first aid kit for straight spouse and decide of one little thing to do every single day until you re free.

Take care of yourself

Board footera