OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 29, 2016 1:18 am  #1

Is he or is he not

Hi All. I am new to this group and forum so please excuse mistakes.

I've been married for five years to a wonderful man. Every so often I think that a wonderful, good man and thoughtful husband does not make for a good lover. My husband is not into kissing and our sex life was at best lukewarm untill it came at a complete stand still more then h a year ago.

I was so shocked this weekend when I finally admitted this to a family member who asked me "Are you sure his not gay?" I never even considered this and always thought maybe he is just not into sex that much. I talked to him about not kissing me from the start of our relationship and several times about the frequency and intencity of our sex during our first three years of marriage. It always got better after that and started to decline  after a few weeks. He even rejected me a couple of times. After the birth of our second child I thought I will not initiate sex first but will see how long it takes him to come to me. Twelve months later and I am still waiting.
Recently he met a new male friend who comes home with him often. Whenever we have plans he is included. I discovered that he sleeps over when I am out of town. Some of his stuff he even left at our house the last time. It feels like where ever I turn this guy shows up. When I asked him why he always  invite this guy over he said he didn't know I had a problem with his friend. This escalated to a fight. O, and he once put me off going to a festival with him. I later discovered he was with this friend.

I did not confront him about being gay since I still cannot wrap my head around this and the the fear of the  "yes, so what next?"

A lot of other things also raise the eyebrows. Like how he never looks at other women. Struggling to get aroused and keep an erection (I always thought it was because I am not skilled enough). I recently discovered that as a little boy he wore his sister's clothes. I read up on research and studies says it is not a sure sign but is linked to gay adults. He joked about anal sex (which I immediately rejected).

I've been reading your stories and got the chill last night. So many of the scenarios I can relate to. Could my husbandbe gay? Should I risk confronting him? I need to know the truth.

August 29, 2016 6:36 am  #2

Re: Is he or is he not

Mrslonely,

First, while you may feel lonely now don't let that screen name define you..  your lonely now.  Your hurting now.   Its hard to see because maybe it has been years but everything is a season.

Second,  yeah he's probably gay...but it matters little..he is not putting you first above even a friend.  And a caring spouse does not sex starve their spouse.
(Its ironic that if I look back at my marriage and relationship with her I always had to initiate..she didn't starve me by any means but like you I grew weary and noticed she would not initiate for months if I didnt...I though all woman are like this..ha).

Its the betrayal and disloyalty you feel in your gut that has you writing in here.  We can feel it in our bones.  One would think a spouse, beat friend, lover and parent of our children would not do this to us.  But boy did I find out how wrong I was.  My lezex had no remorse or real love...she actually was harboring a deep hatred of me..all while saying she loved me..but cheating.

Third,  take a deep breath and remain calm.  It is a shock.  Gather strength with a personal therapist, friends, doctor, priest.  Be kind to yourself..you did nothing wrong to cause this..
Discretely start taking small steps for yourself. You a matter and your kids need one strong sane parent.

Fourth,  alone is ok.  Better to be alone that with a cheating distrustful person..our bodies will physically tell us this.  You cannot live wondering if your husband is out with a friend having a beer or having sex. That is not what we vowed when we took our marriage vows (before god).

A sincere e-hug (virtual but sincere and authentic)

Last edited by Rob (August 29, 2016 6:37 am)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 29, 2016 8:42 am  #3

Thank you Rob.

You are so right in saying that though we do not have proof we feel it in our bones. At first I thought if he is having an affair what does that say about our marriage and that it will show that he is no longer interested in me. It is not the gay thing, it is the betrayal and the fact that I can do nothing to save my marriage when he prefers a male partner now. Because even if he is bi, there will always be some need that I know I cannot satisfy. I don't know what this will mean for my family, but I am not afraid to be on my own. It is my kids that I am worried about. I cannot talk to family about this for fear I might be wrong. I do not want to plant an image that cannot be erased. I cancelled my appointment with the counsellor for I do not know what to tell him.

Thanks for listening.

August 29, 2016 9:48 am  #4

Hi MrsLonely,

I'm sorry that you're going through this.  So many of us here have gone through something similar with regards to the lack of kissing, sex, passion, initiation, reception to our initiation, and the erectile dysfunction (or so we think).  It sounds just the same as many of the stories told here, so I can't say that it's a coincidence.

Even MORE troubling, however, is your husband's "friend".  No, it's NOT normal for men to do sleepovers when the wife is out of town.  I can't say that my straight husband would do that even if he and his friend lived HOURS apart and wanted to leave on a 4:30 am fishing trip.  No way, no how.  One of them would get a hotel room near the other's home or something.  And that would be in a situation where they needed to be close, early.  This makes no sense that your husband is doing this.  AND the constant taking his friend with on excursions.  The fact that he's gotten you to not go and then taken the friend is VERY telling, unfortunately.  Your husband can say that having a male friend spend the night is not big deal, it definitely IS.  Men.don't.do.that.  They just..... don't.  Neither do they wait 12 months to initiate sex (but you know he's going to blame that one on you, right?  He'll say that he was waiting for you to tell him that you were ready - that he was simply being respectful.  Don't believe me?  ASK him.)

I wouldn't bother letting this continue to play out.  Regardless of whether he is verifiably gay or not, you have a husband who doesn't want intimacy with you, doesn't have good connectivity with you when he does, and puts someone else above you.  Even if you were to put up a stink about this man (as if he were a woman that your husband was behaving the same way with), if he's gay, it won't mean that his desire for men (and lack of desire for females) is going to go anywhere.  He's already doing it right.under.your.nose and getting away with it.  He's likely been carrying on for years in secret to get to this point.

Know that the younger the child(ren), the easier a divorce on them is.  Don't wait for the kids' sake.

I wish you well -

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

August 29, 2016 10:48 am  #5

Everything Kel and Rob said is true.  I'm so sorry you have to go through this MrsLonely.  

I went through the exact same situation with my wife latching on to a new friend.  This other woman became the priority over me in every situation.  She secretly slept over the one time I was out of town and only my kids spilled the secret.  (she lives 15 minutes away)  She would text this woman constantly, but hide her phone or computer screen from me anytime I came near.  I became very paranoid about this and repeatedly confronted her about it.  She said she was just a great friend who was always there for her.  She made me feel guilty about not trusting her.  She said I was cruel for not wanting her to have friends.  Two months later she asked me for a divorce because she is lesbian.  A couple weeks after that I found proof that she had sex with her.  Now they are planning for the other woman to divorce her husband so that they can live together. 

Again, Rob and Kel are right about this.  I wish it wasn't the case, but everything in your story screams to me that he is gay.  There is no other reasonable explanation. 

Start making plans to protect yourself and your children.  Try to keep things amicable with your husband for your children's sake, but guard yourself so that when the truth comes out it will not blindside you and send you into weeks and months of pain like I've endured because i was too stupid to see it coming. 

Stick around and let us help you through this.  

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

August 29, 2016 2:28 pm  #6

Lostdad,
"..She would text this woman constantly, but hide her phone or computer screen from me anytime I came near."..
Ditto here..word for word...she would hide the phone screen...but I could read her text...she then changed her font so it was so tiny one could not read the phone from a distance.   She was basically calling me an names while she sat at the dinner table with me and the kids.    I recently saw her and it was the same thing constantly text while you talked to her.

Run...run like your hair is on fire..

August 29, 2016 3:46 pm  #7

Hi Guys

Thank you so much. Although I have hoped that you would tell me I am.paranoid and get worked up over a thought someone put into my head, I really appreciate the honesty and advise.

I will confront him asap.

I pray for you all and will talk to you in future.

God bless

August 29, 2016 4:09 pm  #8

You know your husband better than anyone..  may I ask you a question?

If you confront him about being gay, is there any chance that he might turn it into a fight immediately?  Is he in a position where he controls all of the finances, automobiles, or other important issues?  

Perhaps you should consider taking a few actions to protect yourself and your children ahead of time.  Most attorneys will give you a free consultation.  Learning the laws of your state regarding divorce and child custody ahead of time would be very wise.  If you can find a way to get proof of his indiscretions when he is not expecting it, that might benefit you later.  I'm not suggesting you ambush him or make it a war.  It's best for everyone to work things out amicably and through mediation rather than a divorce court trial.  Just learn a bit ahead of time and prepare yourself for a worst case scenerio.

I thought I knew my wife perfectly.  I thought she was the most compassionate, kind, and honest person in the world. Over the past few weeks she has become completely the opposite of those traits.  She has been adulterous, dishonest, deceitful and cruel.  I am still hoping to do mediation without attorneys, but my trust in her has been shaken and I'm losing confidence in that happening.  

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

August 29, 2016 8:30 pm  #9

When I first came here I didn't believe the advice either..surely my wife wouldn't hurt me. Wrong...the advice here was spot on...in addition to cheating she already hired an attorney. I remember crying and her, instead of showing compassion or remorse told me to leave or she would file. She spent over a year trying to kick me out of the house.
Heartless cruel and evil. ..my view of her as aomeome who loved me was completely wrong.

Last edited by Rob (August 30, 2016 12:56 pm)

August 30, 2016 8:50 am  #10

Welcome.  I am so sorry that this is happening but happy that you found us.

I am a big fan of laying low and getting your ducks in a row before any confrontation for your own protection.  If when you confront him he comes clean and offers you the truth then no harm no foul.  But if when confronted he continues to bury his truth and/or begins to become uncharacteristially confrontational and vengeful then you are ready to go, you have all your documents together and you have seen the lawyers, doctors, therapist etc and you know what your rights are and what your next step will be.  Emotionally this is not easy to do especially if you like to get things out in the open, but secretly planning your exit can make it easier to move quickly and spring into action if and when you need to.

None of this is easy but you are not alone. It has happened to so many people and you can make it through this. 

"No matter how hard the journey may be, remember to be kind to yourself..."

Board footera