OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 24, 2018 12:15 pm  #21

Re: Is there a good way your spouse could have handled TGT?

Jaybird, interesting point of view. One thing I would suggest, is I'm not sure actual cheating is the best way for a questioning spouse to "test" themselves to confirm if they are gay or not. Perhaps there are more legitimate, less damaging ways for one to wrestle with their doubts and try to come to a place where the are sure of which side they are on.

December 25, 2018 5:26 am  #22

JT wrote:

I'm not sure actual cheating is the best way for a questioning spouse to "test" themselves to confirm if they are gay or not. Perhaps there are more legitimate, less damaging ways for one to wrestle with their doubts and try to come to a place where the are sure of which side they are on.

JT, I’m not advocating that cheating is the best way, by any means. I guess I’m assuming that some level of “trying it out” is likely necessary before one could be sure.  I’m sure this isn’t always the case, but there’s complexity in the transition from suspicion to being sure, and I guess I’m thankful that I wasn’t brought in so early that I had to be a witness to the trying it out process.

I don’t know though. It’s still pretty new for me and my feelings regarding her infidelity still haunt me.

December 28, 2018 8:04 am  #23

I think infidelity brought on by TGT is one of the most confusing things someone can go through.

Be kind to yourself jaybird, and make sure you are not too quick to offer forgiveness and absolution to your spouse. I think this is especially true for those of us who have not fully processed and may still be in shock or some stage of bargaining, denial, or the like.

January 4, 2019 9:50 am  #24

Yup I totally agree with all of the above saying that honesty is the best policy.  RATHER than testing the waters repeatedly..... My GIDX actually justified an affair with a woman by saying it was "to check if he was gay!!!"  I mean if that doesn't take the cheater cake, then I don't know what does!!! 

And once it was heading towards divorce to actually acknowledge that this was the problem!!  The shape shifting blame shift was so damaging to me.  

January 4, 2019 10:19 pm  #25

The good way my LX could have handled TGT is if she had included me more in her emotional journey. 

I'm a straight man, but I've always been progressive and a major supporter of queer communities. Before getting together, we were best friends and told each other everything (that's part of why we got together - the trust & communication). I knew getting into it that she was bi, but as time went on she gradually shifted towards not being into men at all, and eventually had to end it because of that.

I was totally supportive through her changes, both as a queer ally and because I care about her and want her to be happy (we're still very close). BUT, I feel like I never saw the negative impact this had on her. At one point she told me she was a total wreck through an entire session with her therapist about how guilty she felt for having to do this to me. Obviously a therapist can provide things I can't, but I never got to witness her go through that emotional process. I was her rock through a lot of very intense emotional times, and this is the one time I wasn't - which felt strange because it was about me. So while grieving this loss, it would bring me closure to know she's grieving too. Instead I feel like she got to move on properly while I'm still in the thick of it.

January 4, 2019 11:34 pm  #26

yes, that is some heavy ocean to sail.  I think you are right, why didn't she share her feelings of guilt with you, it's a good question.

It's horrible feeling guilty isn't it.  It's all very relatable but where's the bit that she does anything about it?

Bi today, gay tomorrow is a real phenomenon.  But even when tomorrow hasn't come bisexual is not straight.  She knew she wasn't attracted to you like you were to her.  Where's the bit where she gets concerned about your happiness?  She starts out on the bi side of things, but when the right woman comes along and her happiness requires her to move on, she does it - she must know how important it is, mustn't she?  What about your happiness?  Did that ever come into her equation?  We know from one post, she must know a thousand fold more that you are caring of her happiness.  

Yes it seems to me she should be feeling guilty towards you.  And if she were your friend I would have thought she would need to express that to you.

Hope that helps,  all the best, Lily

Last edited by lily (January 4, 2019 11:37 pm)

January 6, 2019 2:36 am  #27

Well there certainly wasn't a "right woman" who came along. It was a gradual shift in her - she described it to me as a voice getting louder and louder until she couldn't ignore it anymore. As for my happiness, she's been very supportive of my emotional needs, which is far more than most people get, and I'm grateful for that. I certainly didn't expect her to tough it out just so I could be happy, because then eventually neither of us would have been happy. I just wanted to be there for her as a part of her grieving process, the way she was with mine. 

January 9, 2019 1:59 pm  #28

It seems that many of these stories share a common thread, that the gay spouses were very much more wrapped up in themselves and what they were going through than what their abandoned partner was going through.

January 21, 2019 8:55 pm  #29

This post resonated with me, my husband is moving forward faster since he has dealt with his realization in therapy. Yes, I too would’ve like to have been included and even asked to be included on what he was dealing with.
We went into couples counseling a few months after he started intensive one on one therapy. He came out to me in our second session on 12/18.  Telling me in a therapy session felt like a safe space and I’m glad it was there and not at home.
I’m not even two months in and he wants a divorce and is ready to move across the country to pursue a new career as he just lost his job. AND he hasn’t even been with a man yet!!! He’s off to see one of our gay friends who is in an open marriage next month and they plan to be intimate. 
Our session today was really devastating. He wants to sell the house in the next few months and I’m just not ready, emotionally and physically. I have no where to live, no job and small amount of money every month.

someheavyocean wrote:

The good way my LX could have handled TGT is if she had included me more in her emotional journey. 

I'm a straight man, but I've always been progressive and a major supporter of queer communities. Before getting together, we were best friends and told each other everything (that's part of why we got together - the trust & communication). I knew getting into it that she was bi, but as time went on she gradually shifted towards not being into men at all, and eventually had to end it because of that.

I was totally supportive through her changes, both as a queer ally and because I care about her and want her to be happy (we're still very close). BUT, I feel like I never saw the negative impact this had on her. At one point she told me she was a total wreck through an entire session with her therapist about how guilty she felt for having to do this to me. Obviously a therapist can provide things I can't, but I never got to witness her go through that emotional process. I was her rock through a lot of very intense emotional times, and this is the one time I wasn't - which felt strange because it was about me. So while grieving this loss, it would bring me closure to know she's grieving too. Instead I feel like she got to move on properly while I'm still in the thick of it.

Last edited by HeyJupiter (January 21, 2019 8:58 pm)

January 21, 2019 9:33 pm  #30

HeyJupiter,

It is hard, devastating and mind numbing.    So he wants to sell the house and do this and that...  

Is the house in your name also?   Where does he think you will go ?   How does he think you'll make a living?   What do you want?      You do not need to answer these questions  here  or even now in real life.
I just ask them as , having gone through this,  I can recall my now GX not caring about these things for me.

I will say as my GX was cruel and abusing me  I never threw her out on the street.   I was never unkind despite how much she was hurting me.  These spouses discard, get over us and move on quickly...  I believe  deep in my bones  that is what separates us and them.     

I'm going to say if I were you I'd stop joint therapy  and do therapy for myself.    From what you write he is checked out and moved on.     Build a support system for yourself;   therapist, friend, family, doctors,  priest,  lawyer.      As these spouses plan and scheme we need to learn to live on our own again and make our own plans.   A support system lets us do these things.     

In this life and the next we are worth so much more.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera