OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 21, 2018 9:30 pm  #11

Re: Is there a good way your spouse could have handled TGT?

KitKat, I get the betrayal.  Mine was consulting with an ex-student (of both of ours) that he'd long had a relationship with that crossed the professional line; she knew the intimate details of a fundamental aspect that affected my marriage years before I did.  It was humiliating.  It's still humiliating.  
  And yes, it does feel like he's cheating, multiple cheating: not only does he tell someone else what is owed to you, he's involved with another woman--except that that woman is also himself. 
   The only healthy response for us is to get out.  
    I was married for 36 years.  This Christmas is the first in 36 years I have not celebrated as a wife and as part of a family.  It has its difficult moments.  But I would not want to be have last year's Christmas, before I left and left the crazy behind, back.  This is a phase; that was quicksand that threatened to pull me under.

December 21, 2018 9:38 pm  #12

Shocked Mama,
 The only thing you have to ask yourself is "Is his bisexual Twitter account and his double life in girly clothes, and the guy who jerks off to pictures of him acceptable to me?"   You don't need any other reason than that. 
   We tie ourselves up in knots about when it's ok to leave.  My mother left my father after 30 years of physical and mental abuse only when he threatened my sister.  When my husband went off the deep end, I told myself my mother had a reason--she was protecting my sister's physical safety--and I didn't; but we are as worth protecting as our children (and we can't protect our children as we should when we ourselves are living in an abusive situation).  
   He doesn't need to cheat on you for it to be ok to say, This is not right, and I am not obligated to endure it.  As Kel's tagline says, "You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep others warm."
   Chump Lady has a very good post about her mentally ill husband; it boils down to this: if your spouse for whatever reason cannot reciprocate, you are alone in the marriage, and one person cannot make a marriage work.  A spouse who declares or demonstrates that s/he has a sexuality at odds with that of what was declared at the time of the marriage has changed the terms of the marriage, and cannot reciprocate.  It takes two to make a marriage, and we can't save it by ourselves when there is nothing to work with and a partner who cannot work with us.  Closeted spouses will try their mightiest to convince us they can do so, but all their efforts are in defense of the closets they love instead of us.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (December 21, 2018 9:47 pm)

December 22, 2018 11:10 am  #13

Thisseason,

Answering the original question..how could she have handled it...

She could have been kind. Instead she took no ownership of TGT and projected all kinds of blame on me. I didnt take the garbage out..i didnt like this tv show..
So in response I will cheat on you with a woman.

She could have been kind.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 22, 2018 1:56 pm  #14

I’ll throw out a slightly different opinion.  This is a timely post, as my wife and I spoke about this very thing yesterday.

Her story (nutshell) is that 6+ months ago she started feeling something was off, maybe just her feelings towards me, or us, or other women. Not even sure she knows how it all started.  Maybe 4 months ago she had a sexual encounter with a close woman friend. This got the wheels in her head really rolling about being gay, but still a lot of reservation, thoughts that she needed counseling to figure things out, month and a half ago she goes on a work trip with the same woman and they solidify their relationship, and she is at this point sure that she is gay. Two weeks later we finally have an opportunity to talk about what she had been going through (she had acknowledged for a while that she was struggling with things), and the bomb was dropped on me that she is in love with someone else.

I’ll start by saying that there is no question that she cheated on me, betrayed our marriage and family. This was wrong, and I struggle with this a lot.

Looking back on it all, when I ask myself, what would have been the ideal way for her to handle all this.  And I ask myself, should she have told me six months ago when she started having odd feelings? Should she have told me after she had that initial sexual encounter? Should she have told me before she knew for sure? On one had I would say yes, of course she should’ve been honest with her feelings  at all stages. But when I think about this, and I think about how things would have developed from there, and what would’ve been the next steps. I don’t think it would’ve been easier. The truth is is that she’s gay and it took her falling in love with a woman to truly understand that. And it would have been very difficult to move forward without that truth.   It would’ve been torture to hear that she thinks she might be gay, and then be faced with the choice of cutting off the marriage on an uncertain feeling, or openly allowing her to explore being with another woman. I can’t imagine either of those options, and I wouldn’t trade the cards I was dealt for those situations.

It’s a shitty situation that we all find ourselves in, but it seems from all of our stories that a central part of the struggle, and pain, and fear is centered around knowing in our hearts and mind what is the truth.  Many of you are dealing with the unknown or denial, and my heart goes out to you as this seems so overwhelming to face the loss of your life partner, but not have the certainty that moving on is the right thing to do.  So much of the advice on here is pointed towards helping us realize, embody, and have the strength to act on what is the truth.

So, while I am but one (possibly rare) example in a seemingly infinite variety of situations, I am thankful that when I was thrust into my situation, that I was presented the truth about who she is, and I accept the betrayal and lies and cheating that came before that, as in my case, I feel like the ends justified the means.

J

December 22, 2018 7:14 pm  #15

Even though the situation royally sucks, and I am struggling with it daily, I think my wife handled telling me in the best way possible. She had these feelings starting  about 2 years ago. She discussed it with her friend. Who ironically was married to a man who’s first wife left him for a woman. She would visit her every couple of months and talk regularly. Her friend died from breast cancer about a year ago. That loss and outlet probably accelerated her feelings. We were talking one morning in bed a few weeks ago and she said I think I’m gay. Recently she had a lot less interest in sex and needed a few cocktails to be in the mood. She said that the connection she feels towards women is very strong. A connection she said she used to have with me, but it has faded. She said it was not fair to her or me to continue living unhappy with herself, and she wanted to finally tell me because she did not want to go behind my back to find a girlfriend. I am still stunned, but am grateful she did not cheat on our marriage. She said she loves me too much to hurt me that way.

We still share a bed, and alternate sleeping in the couch a couple of nights to begin to learn to be apart. She will let me work through it at whatever pace I need until I am ready for her to look for a new relationship.

December 22, 2018 8:47 pm  #16

Zoso wrote:

She will let me work through it at whatever pace I need until I am ready for her to look for a new relationship.

Zoso, she sounds amazing, and you are very fortunate, given the circumstances. How do you feel about moving towards being ready? That sounds very difficult.

December 22, 2018 8:59 pm  #17

I think it sucks. I never thought any of this would happen. She is amazing, that is why it is so hard to come to terms with all of this. She says that she will eventually move out, but has no idea when or where at this point, just that she knows this is the right choice for her. I have accepted Logically  that I need to have her in my life in whatever capacity I can. Emotionally I am really not even close to ready. Time is what it will take

December 23, 2018 3:12 pm  #18

I wish I could quote more than one person because I agree with OOHC, KitKat, and ShockedMama.

Like OOHC said, my spouse has also refused to take responsibility for any of this and has even blamed "her" transition on me. Forget that she cross dressed routinely for 20 or so years before we even met. This was all still my fault.  And when she told me she wanted a divorce, she never actually filed. I eventually had to. 
And like KitKat, my spouse bought and purged many, many items throughout our 20 years of marriage. No telling how much money was wasted on it. Also, how much time we missed as a family because she would make up some excuse to stay behind when the real reason was that she would prefer to dress up than spend time with his family.
And that leads to Shocked Mama. Like her I don't think my spouse ever cheated on me - except with his femme self. He would chose her over us at almost every turn.

The best way to have handled it was to tell me about this before we were married. Or at any time that it became clear that it was something he could not control and was affecting our marriage. And when was that..... well, as soon as he felt the need to keep a secret it began to affect the marriage. She claims to have loved me, but she never loved or respected me enough to be honest with me about who she was. As a result, I wasn't allowed to make a decision about who I was going to marry. That basic right was taken away.

ShockedMamaOf2 wrote:

Sometimes I wish he would cheat on me so that I could justify leaving him!

ShockedMama, he doesn't need to cheat for you to justify leaving him. Do you say this because of your faith? I was reading an article written by a pastor recently, and in it he wrote, "If the cost of saving a marriage is destroying a woman, the cost is too high. God loves people more than He loves institutions."  Abandonment is also another reason to "justify" divorce, and that can be described many ways. It includes spiritual, emotional, financial, sexual as well as physical abandonment. I just don't want you to feel trapped because your husband hasn't actually cheated.

December 23, 2018 5:13 pm  #19

When I think about how my partner could have handled this better.....I know he just couldn't have.

What I wish...is that I'd had the internal fortitude, support, knowledge that I now have plus the warning
bells, sirens and whistles.....made the decision it was over and got out.

KIA KAHA                       

December 23, 2018 6:05 pm  #20

My husband apparently has always known about his sexuality, he just accidentally forgot to mention it to me for the 24 years we were married, or the two years we lived together before that, or the six years we dated before that.

This Season, the problem is that there's no such thing as "one lie."  There's only the FIRST lie.  Once you make a decision to start telling one lie, then all the rest of the lies become inevitable.  I think there's only one choice: be truthful early and often.

I don't know whether that's helpful to you in your situation, because it sounds like your wife may not have really known.

Board footera