OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 27, 2016 10:18 am  #11

Re: Question for the group

I will be setting it up soon, replies will be disabled, but registered members will be able to edit their own bios as things change.

As to new forum vs old:

1. Hate to say, this one is a lot easier to moderate, and has a lot of features that the other one didn't. I'm happy to say that there is almost no need to moderate, there has only been one incident of spam so far, and it was very easy to delete it and block it.   
2. If you are registered and logged in, new posts since your last visit are highlighted. Topics are arranged newest to oldest as before, i.e. those with the most recent comments are at the top.
3. NOTE: if you are afraid to register with an email that might reveal your identity or is shared, consider getting an anonymous gmail or yahoo or similar address for that purpose.
4. Also NOTE: if you try and register and it says you are already registered you need to log in, not register.
5. Took some doing to get the SSN webmasters to change the links to this one, I don't want to ask them to change them back. 
6. The 2-week outage was unacceptable.

August 27, 2016 10:41 am  #12

I'v noticed if I'm looking at it on my phone, as opposed to a tablet, it gives you the option of changing it to a desktop view. I've found when you do that, it's much easier to see recent posts . Personally, I'm just happy to have it, thanks Sam!

August 27, 2016 10:46 am  #13

I love this idea! also love the terms, battle damage and s--t stormtrooper! this definitely feels like ptsd.

Go not quietly into that great, good night......Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

August 27, 2016 12:40 pm  #14

Hi Sam - Thanks for the information about registering, email, etc.  I have not wanted to register because I was afraid my email would be public - looks like I was right.  I really do not want to have to create a separate email just for this site, but I will think about it.  I understand the issues you've mentioned in your post; just not sure I want to deal with it all anymore.  Maybe I will just keep reading off and on, it does help.

August 27, 2016 12:54 pm  #15

LB, Public can't see email address but registered members can. It takes about 5 minutes to get a gmail account.

ALL: New forum is up. Replies disabled and you must be registered to post. As usual, please don't post any personally identifying details you don't want made public.

August 27, 2016 1:00 pm  #16

I'm like you Lakebreeze - I am finding it too hard to handle this new forum.  so sorry Sam, do appreciate the reasons you've given for staying here and I do like being able to edit a post but I can't even find my own posts let alone responses to them, and I never remember the name of the thread.  So I am coming here and I read one or two posts which always gives me something to think about but I don't get any further, and I am finding it hard to respond.

what can I say.  Thank you for having the forum, I've been so grateful for it and will be around if not so active as the past.  To all you newbies - hang in there.  it does get better, whatever your circumstances, as the shock wears off.  Don't panic.  Never trust a Vogon and always be kind to yourself.  xox

Last edited by lily (August 27, 2016 1:02 pm)

August 27, 2016 8:16 pm  #17

I believe cross dressers.

August 29, 2016 7:18 am  #18

Sam,

I like the new forum, especially being able to edit, fix spelling mistakes, correct something that I could have phrased better, or when I re-read it, I realize it didn't come out quite right. Two thumbs up from me. I also like the idea of a subforum for telling our own stories.

I'd like to propose another sub-forum. I am thinking of newbies when I suggest this, but maybe similar to "our stories" another where we can tell newbies what worked for *us."  A place where we could list general things that helped us at different stages in the process, whether that's exercise, meditation, therapy, finding new hobbies, going back to school, whatever it may be. When this is all still a shock, I think it would be useful to have a quick reference forum to show that a) it gets better, and b) here are some practical, to-do and/or to-think about steps one can take. As long as it were understood that these too would be contributions of what helped each of us *personally* and are not to be taken as universal law for everyone. Sort of like a library of helpful ideas, practical tips, "don't panic" reading.  If that makes sense. 

The "our story" board is great for introducing ourselves, but I am thinking along the lines of "here's what I did about a situation I was dealing with..."  Something that shows there is reason to hope, proof that it really does get better.

"I have given you my soul, leave me my name!"  - John Proctor, The Crucible
"Question everything you've been told; hold fast to what is true and good." - I Thessalonians 5:21

August 29, 2016 7:21 am  #19

I think that's a great idea Bryan M!

August 29, 2016 6:00 pm  #20

I just think how often we tell ourselves, or the 'newbies,' that there is no manual for this, there is no guidebook, etc. Well, why isn't there one?  It seems to me we have enough people here who have or are working it through, who can talk about what helps, what the pitfalls are, the 'gotchas' that came up without warning, and so on.  If we don't tell our success stories (along with the painful stories), who else is going to do it? 

One thing I looked for, for what seemed the longest time, was stories from people who end up at least remaining friends with their ex-es. We know they are out there. But they don't seem to be here in these forums, I suppose because they have no need of these forums, since they've worked things out for themselves. How did they do it - what was different about their stories? That would be incredibly useful, I think. 

"I have given you my soul, leave me my name!"  - John Proctor, The Crucible
"Question everything you've been told; hold fast to what is true and good." - I Thessalonians 5:21

Board footera