OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 26, 2016 1:30 pm  #1

Question for the group

Would it be useful to create a new sub-forum we we could tell out stories in as much or as little detail as desired? Oldies and newbies alike. It might be helpful for newbies to see where some of us who have been here for a while are coming from. Thoughts?

August 26, 2016 1:49 pm  #2

Re: Question for the group

I think that could be a good idea.

August 26, 2016 2:49 pm  #3

I like that idea. Like one place where all the stories are stored so you don't have to search through all the forums to find their original posts?

August 26, 2016 2:54 pm  #4

I do like the idea of having one spot where all of our stories are.  Maybe one spot where there couldn't be any responses and they just stay static and serve as a reference point for newcomers. 

As for the indexes that we all respond to....the other day I was actually thinking that maybe we should just have one tab or index or whatever it's called instead of the three we currently have.  It seemed so much easier to just glance at the old forum and see the topics and responses.  I feel like this one takes me so much longer to click on all the different sections that I find myself responding less because I know I have to be at a stopping point at work or at home to get involved.  I did like this forum better at first but I really do wish we could go back to the old one   sorry.  just my two cents. 

August 26, 2016 3:55 pm  #5

So maybe a subforum with our story...when we  reply to other threads  we can link to it ?

That sounds good ..the only problem I see is many are still in the middle of their story.   My story has a beginning, a middle, and an end...all in the proper order ...   but I jump around a lot.. maybe its still being written.

Last edited by Rob (August 26, 2016 3:57 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 26, 2016 7:20 pm  #6

I second Still Wondering's comments about the old forum.  This one just does not engage me like the old one.  I was very frustrated when the old one went down for so long, and thought I would eventually get used to this one, but I continue to find it cumbersome and think the other one was better.  This has so many separate blocks and places for things and when I have to click all over to get any real sense of what is going on, I just get frustrated and turned off. The natural flow of the other one, just is not here. The big thick dark lines that separate people's comments also seem to separate some of the emotional and "bonding" effects that were present with the old forum too.  I get on the site off and on and I read some posts, and I have a lot of thoughts about what I read, that I probably would have shared in the past, but like Still Wondering, I rarely respond anymore.  I just don't "feel it" like I did with the other site.  I know a lot of the people that used to post regularly on the old site, have yet to show up here at all.  It just isn't "friendly".

August 26, 2016 8:53 pm  #7

I like how one can edit their post here.
I do hear you about the flow of the old board..one could see several subthreads off a thread and follow/reply to each one without feeling like you were hijacking the original poster's thread.
I try to dwell less on the format and more on content.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 27, 2016 12:51 am  #8

I LOVE the idea Sam, & the suggestions to keep it simple & authentic with no responses. So many times when I'm reading thru a post I read someone's response that is so interesting, profound or strikes a cord & I say to myself "SoInSo, what's their story again?" It would be a great reference..I also like the suggestion for a less disjointed forum. I was never a part of the old forum, but I do feel like I have to hop around a lot & do too much digging to see updates, new threads etc. Does that make sense>For all the effort the subheadings were at the Index, when u get into them, the topics & replies are all over the map & not necessarily on topic or appropriate to that thread. Maybe it's just me, but i like things organized ;) Other than than, It's awesome & has been such a blessing to come here, and feel like someone else gets it. In reality, I don't have that at all & quite frankly, feel very alone in this battle/trauma, so many thanks Sam & admins....& fellow shitstorm troopers!

Also, perhaps a heading/subthread for TGs/CDs wives as 1. There are a whole other set of issues, affectations & possible outcomes that have distinct nuances about them that dont show up in GID, Gay issues. 2. There are a LOT of Str8 spouses to TG /CD s out there but there is really no active place for them to come to for help (unless they are at the early stages of finding out & want to support their spouseon of CD/Trans forums, FB groups etc. Most have wives & yet there is nowhere for us wives to join) I know I avoided this site before because it seemed to be for str8/gay relationships only. If there was a subheading devoted to TG/Cds spouses, it would be full in no time with a shitload of posts & sub threads. Damn, I alone would be posting topcs daily. You may want to install a 10Topic/Day max!!! Cheers Sam & thanks for asking US for suggestions.  

The irony of the first sentance regarding "simple" posts & the long ass length of this post is not lost on me. lol!

Last edited by whatasham24 (August 27, 2016 1:09 am)

August 27, 2016 6:13 am  #9

Being a relatively new person to boards in general and especially this one, I feel having the personal stories in the same section would be VERY helpful.  There have been times where I wondered just WHAT is the story behind a particular person especially when they appear to have such fantastic insite to these problems and can offer such wonderful advice and suggestion which I've found extremely helpful.  Going thru the index and having to do a "search author" can be very tedious at times. Thank you for such a helpful and supportive site at this time in my life!

August 27, 2016 8:53 am  #10

I like that idea, Sam. Let us know when you have it set up.

RE: Old Forum v. New Forum - I have to agree with the others that the old board was very user friendly and inviting and I generally like that board more.  However, I decided to give this one a go and really focus on learning, okay forcing, myself to use it.  While I still like the visual look of the other board, I am discovering that this one has a lot of additional features that the other board did not. Someone had suggested using the "post" and "active topics" buttons on the bottom of the left hand corner screen and I do find that these selections speed up browsing and finding new posts.

"No matter how hard the journey may be, remember to be kind to yourself..."

Board footera