OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 19, 2018 2:59 pm  #1

But He's Also My Best Friend

My husband of 20 years, friend of 35 years, father of my two children just told me he's gay, and he's always been gay. Evidently, now he wants to explore it, right? Or why else would he tell me? Our marriage is already sexless and has been for years. I've spent the whole time eating myself alive thinking it was me. I had no idea. There was never any sign. In the early years we had quite the spicy sex life. He tells me that's because he was young and horny and still lying to himself. Gee thanks. I am IN LOVE with this man. He is the love of my life. I am devastated. But, our situation is that we have two children who for different reasons are in fragile places right now. I do not want to hit them with this right now. So, the current plan is to keep it quiet -- to decouple, but not divorce. Also, we live in a very conservative area and his job could be at risk if he comes out. And, the fact is it will take us some time to untangle our finances. Also, he's my best friend, and I'm worried for him. I'm (ironically?) an active advocate for LGBTQ rights and even counsel a youth group. So, I am worried for him and want to be a friend to him as he works through this. But, I'm also being ripped apart to hear that he dreams of cuddling on the couch to watch Sunday afternoon movies with a man. Not me. For my whole life, I wanted to cuddle on the couch with him, but he always kept me at arm's length. Now someone else gets to love him and he will love them back. Friends tell me to get a lawyer, let him worry about coming out and his finances are his problem. I can't do that to my kids' father or my friend or any human being. I'm torn between anger, depression, disbelief, and just wanting to hold him and cry together about it. In my fantasy, we have a TV show family where the four of us remain intact and happy and friendly, but he and I might date just like the kids do. I'm so confused and in the closet with him for a while and trying not to burst into tears every minute. I hate this. Also, did anyone else get enraged every time you hear someone say, "you'll be fine, you'll find someone else"?

October 19, 2018 3:36 pm  #2

Re: But He's Also My Best Friend

Hi Reeling - yes it is as painful as , well it's more painful than you could have imagined.  we get it.  

For those of us who are further down the road and been reading here a while we get to see a lot of stories.

The opinion I have come to is when the gay spouse discloses, not that they say it upfront, but odds on they already have a boyfriend/girlfriend.

If that is the case with you then the course of your marriage is now likely to be affected by that - if they break up or if the boyfriend is looking to get his partner out of the closet.

I suggest you listen to your friends, they might know more about his activities than you do, be grateful they are there for you.

Yes I always wanted to cuddle on the couch and was kept at arm's length.  It only gets worse and hurts more with extra time. 

wishing you all the best, Lily

October 19, 2018 4:19 pm  #3

My husband to 30+ years told me he was gay and wanted a divorce after he met a man he thought was the love of his life. Like you I'd been in a sexless marriage for years and blamed myself. My immediate reaction was to blurt out that I would date. Enough of this forced celibacy: if he could have a man I could too. 

Then reality set in. I rented Magic Mike and realized that the men I should be looking at would not look like them. We did not tell our children or separate immediately and I was not going to venture into the dating world while we were in the same house. I needed to get mentally healthy because I did not want to attract a man with issues. 

One of the first things I did was contact the Straight Spouse Forum and was put in contact with a woman who had found herself in a similar situation. I was almost 60 and very scared for my financial future. I consulted an attorney and filed for support as soon as he moved out. My goal was to come out of this able to own a retirement home and prove to myself and my children that I would not be their responsibility. He could take care of himself. Not nasty but just a fact.

Nobody told me I'd be fine and I'd find someone else: I had to find resources which would convince me that I would be. A pamphlet for widows that I found at church helped me accept the finality and move on. Due to the financial crash the divorce was not filed until the housing market improved and we could both walk away with a nest egg. A friend had a widower she knew look me up and being with a straight man made be realize how much I had missed.

I am probably one of the few people here who gets along with my ex - and his current boyfriend who has a sense of humor similar to mine. The children are thankful but I did it for me as much as for them. Living well is not the best revenge but the best way of living. I have my house, half his pension and my freedom.  I am happy.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

October 19, 2018 6:43 pm  #4

Reeling,

I’m sorry you find yourself here.  You made me think about the weekend I went home to work out my divorce.   I remember asking my then future ex husband to hold me.  We Layed on our marital bed and cuddled while I cried.  He was stoned and emotionless (he is still GID).  I couldn’t believe that everything I had put into my marriage, that man and everything I had worked for in my life was over.   I knew I had to divorce and have a real life.  Even after everything he had done to me, I thought we would stay friends.  Even at that point I thought I would love him the rest of my life.  I was in love with a very faint memory.   I’m over it now.

Hopefully for you, time will do the same.  What you’re future relationship might be, will be revealed in time.   You have a lot to process and go through.   What you are going to be going through is literally the same process as someone you love dying (all the phases.  Denial, anger, etc and you can bounce from one to the other), the big difference is they are still alive.   Take it one day at a time.  We’re here for you.  Blessings.

Last edited by 4everdamaged (October 19, 2018 6:47 pm)

October 19, 2018 7:31 pm  #5

Hello Reeling - I am sorry that you are here, and I am also sorry that I will probably be blunt and not real gentle, but after years of experiencing and reading others' stories about this, I just can't candy coat anything.  In spite of what you feel now, he is not your best friend, probably not even a friend at all.  Friends do not do this sort of thing to friends.  He appears to have known for a long time that he is gay, yet he has let you live on for years or more likely decades believing he is straight.  A friend does not treat a friend like that.  He is only thinking of himself and that is what you need to do now - think of yourself (and your children of course), but do what is right and best for you so that you can have some sort of life for yourself going forward - a life that is real and not caught up in any illusion.  I agree with Lily (she's great) that you should probably listen to your friends about getting a lawyer, etc.  Privately make plans for yourself and do not share them with him.  Abby has also been here a long time and has lots of good things to say, so I would heed her advice also.

No one ever told me it would all work out, be OK, etc., so I cannot speak to that issue.

Best of luck to you.  It will most likely be very helpful to you to stay on this board and keep posting.  Read and post, as it is about the most helpful thing any of us in this situation have found.  You are not alone and there is much wisdom and help to be found here.

Last edited by Lake Breeze (October 20, 2018 9:17 am)

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" - Sir Walter Scott

October 19, 2018 9:26 pm  #6

Hi again Reeling - I wanted to add that you noted that you think it might be "ironic" that you are an LGBTQ advocate and counsel a youth group.  I don't think it is ironic at all.  I was always open to all sorts of people and my gay (never has admitted it) former spouse knew that early on in our relationship, and later on I came to believe that he exploited those qualities in me.  I think that people like my former spouse pick up on this and it makes them even more inclined to use us.  They see someone who has no problem with gay per se, so assume that marrying that person has obvious advantages for them.  Who better to hide behind?  Someone who is open and "understanding".  I have always worked in social services and have been open and sympathetic to all sorts of ways of "being".  Wouldn't you know that got me targeted and duped by someone who I believed was my "best friend", someone who was looking for someone "feeling" and "sympathetic" to hide behind.  There is nothing ironic at all in the fact that you are married to this man all the while being a particularly caring, sympathetic, thoughtful, and helpful sort of person.

Last edited by Lake Breeze (October 19, 2018 9:28 pm)

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" - Sir Walter Scott

Board footera