OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 16, 2018 12:20 pm  #1

Lawyers and Mediation

Hello all fellow supporters.

I am seeking some advice from your personal experiences.  My husband and I are getting ready to begin divorce proceedings.  We have chosen to use a local, recommended mediator.  We are doing this to keep from going to court, keep it peaceful, and avoid extreme costs.  I did consult with an attorney a couple of months ago and she gave me information and names.  She recommended this mediator.  This mediator was an attorney for many years.  Anyway, often times people will seek counsel from their personal lawyer so they know how to advocate for themselves.  Should I meet with my lawyer before mediation? The mediation, I was told, would be a few different sessions.  When I told my lawyer we are using mediation, she recommended I see her before and go over things so I am ready. 
What do you all think?  As you know, lawyers are expensive, and I am trying to be wise and save as much money as possible.  We agree on most things, but I am wondering if he can give me spousal support. He makes almost three times as much as me.  He has agreed to pay off 100% of our debt.  He says he cannot do anymore. 

I appreciate you thinking about this and sharing your thoughts.

August 16, 2018 1:33 pm  #2

Re: Lawyers and Mediation

I would recommend talking to your lawyer beforehand. One concern that I would have is that if you signed the contract for a debt even if he agrees to pay it as part of a divorce settlement in most jurisdictions that will not get you off the hook with the creditor. If he doesn't pay or pays late your credit report gets dinged - or worse if your car get's repo'd or you get sued.

Personally I would rather get more money and make the payments I am liable for myself. Knowledge is power and paying an attorney for his or hers could put you in a better spot for years to come.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

August 16, 2018 1:45 pm  #3

I agree completely with Abby.  Talk to an attorney first.  Talk to a few if you want (Most give a low cost initial consultation and allow you to fire off tons of questions).   Mediation is great, but you need to have some education about what is fair before you go in.  Otherwise you run the risk of losing out on a great deal.  

If he makes 3x what you make, then I think it's very reasonable to expect some alimony.  

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

August 17, 2018 6:12 pm  #4

This is a really timely post, because my husband has been pushing hard for us to use mediation.  I have told him only that I am open to any reasonable proposals, but I'll discuss them with the lawyer first.

It is true that lawyers can get expensive, but you get what you pay for.

I first consulted with my lawyer and when he had the papers drawn up, filed, and served on my husband, one thing he requested was that my husband should pay my legal costs.  My husband probably makes ten times what I make.

After my husband was served, he put a lot of pressure on me not to go through with the divorce.  Among other things, he suggested that I'd get a lump payment but I'd have no further income from him.  This is not what my lawyer had advised me -- I'd get half of all our assets (by law I already own them) and that a court would order spousal support, given my age.  If I'd skipped consulting with the lawyer, I wouldn't have known this.

My lawyer is expensive, but in the initial (free) consultation he gave me several bits of advice that I took to heart -- and which have turned out to be very good bits of advice.  So I think you should assume that whether or not you use mediation, you should have a lawyer and you should be sure your lawyer knows your husband should cover your costs (if you can). 

I do agree that mediation usually is cheaper than litigation, but my lawyer also pointed out that most cases don't go to trial anyhow; he says 95% of his cases settle.

August 17, 2018 11:52 pm  #5

Thank you so much for taking time to consider my issue and give me an honest response.  I am thinking that I need to consult an attorney to help guide me through the mediation.

August 18, 2018 10:45 am  #6

Additionally, I would take any agreement you reach back to the attorney along with all the financial statements and paperwork and have him/her look it over before you agree to anything. Just another measure of protection.

Also, don't agree to anything. Even in an offhanded "yeah...ok" kind of way. Always use a "I will have to let my attorney look it over first' kind of response.

August 18, 2018 12:18 pm  #7

I agreed to use a mediator, and we did the whole divorce process without attorneys.  While I truly made the best decision I could at the time, and the process was indeed "amicable,"and did indeed cost a fraction of what it would have with an attorney, I do have some regret about not using an attorney.  Financially, it's a much longer and rather desperate road to recovery.  Emotionally, I could have had a lot more structure to visitation, child support, and custody with a lawyer.  For the sake of being "amicable" and keeping the cost down, I feel that a lot of those boundaries went by the wayside.   The mediator really didn't help us decide those things, he helped us with the process of divorce.  We pretty much had to have the decisions done.   Even though it was almost a year after disclosure, I was not strong enough then to advocate for myself.  So...if you at all can make it work with an attorney, do it!  It will be worth it.    

August 18, 2018 12:57 pm  #8

Dog lover (I do love your login name!): You can still have a lawyer involved in a mediation, it's just that their role is slightly different.  In my case -- we have very complex finances, and over the years have endured a number of financial crises.  I suspect the critical issue for us will likely be characterization of our various holdings as separate versus marital, and for that I really need a lawyer to advise me about the law, and to advocate for me.  Typically in mediation, it's just the two of you plus the mediator and you can easily give away things without fully realizing what your legal entitlements are.  You hammer out an amicable agreement, and then your lawyers just draw up the papers, but you don't have them as directly involved in the negotiation process.  

My lawyer also pointed out that the decision to use a mediator is not necessarily irreversible -- if at any point I'm uncomfortable with it, I just back out.  He says that all of the difficult financial disclosure we each have to do, will still have to be done with a mediator.

Like everything else, so much depends on your unique situation, but I'm guessing that for younger people with simple finances, mediation is fine.  For older people like me, with decades of our finances being intermingled, it's a lot more challenging to sort out what should reasonably be characterized as "separate" versus "marital", and at my age if I get it wrong, it's not like I have a few decades to rebuild my nest egg.

August 19, 2018 2:13 pm  #9

Thank you all of you for responding and sharing your thoughts and experiences.  I am finding this process so overwhelming and confusing.  I read and try to educate myself, but there is so much information out there and it’s. Ice to be able to ask someone.  I have had one consultation with an attorney a couple months ago and she gave me names and resources and some guidance.  I never told my soon to be ex.  Then, I began to feel bad for not telling him.  I scheduled an appointment to meet with her again before mediation.  I told my husband I was planning to meet with an attorney for my own advice.  He became so upset and felt like I was going behind his back and not being honest.  He also felt like using a mediator was enough and if I was planning to use a lawyer, than that means I’m going to fight.  I ended up canceling.  I was questioning it before hand and wondering if I needed to go.  Then my parents and sister got upset and said I need the guidance.  So, I’m back to the beginning.  The mediator we are using was recommended by my attorney and she practiced law for decades.  But, she cannot advice us individually.  How do I handle telling my husband?  I don’t want him to get hostile and angry and back out of his promises, and I’m afraid if I go to a lawyer, just to even check the paperwork, he will get very very angry!  How did i tel him?

August 19, 2018 3:40 pm  #10

< deleted >

Last edited by Estella Oculus (February 15, 2019 2:07 pm)

Board footera