OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 22, 2018 6:13 am  #21

Re: Is it ok to be kind/caring weeks after disclosing or am I delusional ?

Hello all, 
Well I return to writing a few months down the line.... I must admit, I found the messages sent toward this thread so hard to read and internalise - in fact, they took my breath away in a way that I can't describe. This doesn't mean that I didn't appreciate them - I did and I return to them often to remind myself of the realities of what's going on - but since then, I've not felt able to write but just observe the boards from a distance. 
So, where am I now, the same place I guess... my husband still dating irregularly - he very much approaches the gay world as a heteronormative male and so finds that it too aggressive - (apologies to stereotype).  Still nothing has happened, no sexual encounters for him (YET)..  I know this will happen. Tonight he goes on a second date with a guy I think he likes - this man was also married for over 25 years and has three children so I think my husband feels this type of man less threatening. I have been busying myself with much work and immersing myself in my friends and going out lots but tonight he goes on this date and I feel sick.... I can't bear the thought of it. You may recall we still live together and have made this decision to. Is there anyone how also does this - how do you all cope with this ? Thanks. 

October 22, 2018 12:19 pm  #22

Addie, I'm glad to be reading your post. Your situation sounds similar to mine. I am only in about week three of this horror show. I have spent hours sobbing. I feel like I am literally being torn apart down the middle of my chest. Everything is so surreal. I have no idea what the future will be. Except, I do know that neither of my children is in a place to hear their parents are breaking up right now. The reasons are too much to go into here, and don't matter. It is what it is and I don't need to hear people talk about kids' resiliency. They are not ready. In the meantime, my stbx and I will live in the same house in different rooms until our youngest graduates high school in 1.5 years. We will remain legally married until the finances can be worked out. I have asked him not to date while we live together. If he decides he wants to date, he'll have to move out...at his expense...that's the deal. In the meantime, I am doing what everyone says and working on myself. I need to get in shape and figure out what my hobbies used to be and find a counselor. So, I get all that. But, I have been taken aback on this site at how bitter some of the advice is. My husband has been my best friend since long before we were married. We are from a highly religious and conservative area where it was and is dangerous for him to be gay. I get that he had to suppress it and tried hard not to be what he is. I hate he had to do that. I really do. I know that he hates hurting me, and I know he wants to do this right. There is so much that sucks about this lie. But, I can't blame him like he did this intentionally to use me as a front. He truly was trying to suppress it. He believed his own lie, too. I can't hate him like so many are telling me I should. The way I see it is that for some reason he and I have to go through this shit storm, and I'm honestly glad that if it's something I have to do, that I'm doing it with him. He and I have been on this life's journey together for longer than the phase during which we've been married and had children. I think we're supposed to continue together into the next phase of divorcing and starting over. I'm hurt and mad and scared and lost. I will protect myself, and my children, and put myself first again. But, I'm not going to hate him. Not for this. It wasn't his fault. If my kind sensibilities are being taken advantage of, oh well. I'm taking one day at a time. I'm not going to hate.

(Disclaimer: this is today's opinion. Subject to change.)

October 22, 2018 4:08 pm  #23

addie wrote;
"... have been busying myself with much work and immersing myself in my friends and going out lots but tonight he goes on this date and I feel sick..."

Sick it a good word for it.   I used to physically shake at the betrayal...the blatant disrespect and inhumane  discard of me..   I would shake and could not stop shaking .

This is not how someone that cares about you should treat you..   I would argue even an enemy would treat you better.    Sorry but he is not your friend.   He is just not.

I urge to build a support system.  For me I needed ant-depressants and for nights like that a pill to stop the shaking.

Any time I doubt things now I can look back on those nights and her looking at me "whats your problem?" as I trembled and cried.     I thank God I'm away from a person like that.

That is how I coped with it.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

October 22, 2018 7:08 pm  #24

I just recently found out my husband of 23 years is gay. Look you can live in regret and anger, but the way I look at it I couldve had a terribblemarriage to an abusive person. We had a good marriage up till a few years ago. I am focusing on the positive-it is the only way I can make it. 

October 23, 2018 4:39 am  #25

Thank you Reeling, Rob and Shellshocked,
Taking the time to respond is such a kindness, thank you and I'm sorry that we are all in this 'shit storm' as Reeling notes. I'm intrigued by those of you who ask your partners not to date whilst you go through this... for me, my husband told me of his need to explore a different side of himself with a man - he told me this before he did anything - and I believe him. Of course I would rather that he wasn't dating now but isn't this the whole point of ' exploring' ---- otherwise I would ask him to leave the family home and sever all contact with him BUT I am not prepared or want to do that . So, I am not happy with his decision and I remind him of that, he says sorry, and then we carry on . At this stage, I just need to find a way to cope with him dating - yesterday was very painful for me. I couldn't stop all the thoughts consuming me - it might very well be that my plan to cope as we plan into the future will not work - who knows.

Any advice from anyone who has decided to live with their partner in this limbo phase and who knows their partner dates - how do you make this work so that you are not crippled by it ?

October 23, 2018 2:29 pm  #26

addie, I initially didn't want to end my marriage -- I thought maybe I could manage a halfway marriage or something.  It didn't work for me; I was allowing myself to gradually acclimate to worse and worse discoveries (the whole "frog in boiling water" idea) and ultimately I made one discovery that was just the last straw.

Reeling posted " I have been taken aback on this site at how bitter some of the advice is. "  It's possible that I'm one of the people who seems to post bitter advice.  I don't actually disagree, and I have tried hard to modulate my tone, mostly because I remember how turned off I was when I first contacted SSN.  

It's almost been a year since my discovery.  I started out thinking I'd just separate but have some kind of "marriage of convenience".  Then as I discovered more and more about my husband's activities, my empathy turned to rage.  In part it was the drip, drip, drip of new and even more shocking revelation; but also when I would talk to him I started to realize how one-sided our marriage was.  He still doesn't really have the innate awareness of how much pain he's caused to me and to our daughter.  I went from thinking the problem in my marriage was sexual incompatibility -- to thinking it was adultery -- and ultimately I realized my husband was just a flat-out narcissistic liar who would never be trustworthy, and I can't continue to be married to him for that reason.

The fact that I went through this metamorphosis doesn't necessarily mean you will too -- time will tell, and we're all rooting for your success, however things work out for you.

October 23, 2018 3:04 pm  #27

Last edited by Lynne (February 3, 2019 12:22 pm)

Board footera