OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 2, 2018 12:14 pm  #1

Counseling for the Straight Wife

I found the right counselor,  and thought I would share with you the insight and benefits of counseling for me.  It  provided me with my Reality, I can no longer make excuses for my GIDH, he is a gay man and has  had multiple sexual encounters with men and will continue to do so. My H is a narcissist and he is a manipulator .  I will never get an admission from him that he is a gay man. He is incapable of having any empathy for me, he will never understand my pain. Moving forward, it is no longer about him. I have to make myself a priority. I have to grieve, I have to go thru the pain, anger and resentment, but it will lessen with time.  I am in charge of my own life, my own happiness. So after 44 years of marriage, I am divorcing him.  Some days I am stronger than others , the sadness continues, but now I have the Courage to divorce. Onward. I have developed an exit plan.

Things became very clear in counseling, he asked the right questions and the answers were always within me.

Wishing you all some peace and direction.

August 2, 2018 12:33 pm  #2

Re: Counseling for the Straight Wife

Yesterday I formally retained a lawyer.  So, yeah.  I have all these fantasy conversations with my husband where I get to tell him off for all the selfish, delusional, manipulative stunts he's pulled on me and our daughter over the years ... and then I know I'm only ever going to have that conversation in my head, because the level of self-delusion he's built up is something I'm  not equipped to penetrate.  Ever.

He continues to talk as if nothing's happened, making plans for Christmas, etc.  I feel like if I don't speak up I'm "leading him on" but on the other hand, what am I going to gain by speaking up?  At least now, with him oblivious, he doesn't know enough to cover his footsteps.  I can't teach him to be honest ... I'd just be teaching him that he needs to be a better liar.

August 2, 2018 12:54 pm  #3

Violated, I love your post; you are standing in your own personal power and have realized you are way too precious to remain in a relationship that can only cause you more trauma and pain.  When I read some of the posts on this forum, I feel a deep concern for those who are so disoriented they are actually considering staying in MOMs.  I realize this is often the initial coping mechanism one utilizes to deal with the realization your whole marriage is a lie.  Been there, done that.  We don’t realize the extent of the abuse until something jars us out of our stupor and we choose to look fear straight in the face.  Fear is a gift used to motivate us to act and change our circumstances.  Embrace it and own your personal power!  There is so much joy, love and personal growth on the other side of the gay spouse nightmare!  Congratulations on your breakthrough!

August 2, 2018 2:13 pm  #4

Baffled, I second your concern for the way straight spouses so often talk themselves into staying, and rationalize it all as "revolutionary" or "caring."  It is a coping mechanism, but the sooner one gives it up and moves on to the realization that we are traumatized and scared to death the sooner one can get free and get to healing.
 I just read, today, a very short primer (book) called "Boundaries," by Adelyn Birch, on how to avoid getting entangled in another relationship with a manipulative and disordered person.  To the point and clear, and helpful.  
 Violated, I'm so glad things are clear for you, that you are determined to free yourself, and have gotten an exit plan formulated.  You can do this.  Just this morning I woke up and thought, "It does get better."  Compared to where I was a year ago, or even three months ago, I am in a much better place/stage.  The only way through it may be through it, as someone here said, but you do get through it and on to something better.

August 2, 2018 3:48 pm  #5

Walkbymyself I could have written your exact post.  I too reach out to a lawyer yesterday.   2-1/2 weeks ago I told my GID that I needed a separation and wanted him to leave.   The very next day it was like the conversation never happened.   How do the do that???   I’ve been in this stupid cycle for going on 2 years now. I need out!!!

August 2, 2018 4:49 pm  #6

Yes, the stonewalling and silence, the ability to wall us off and themselves off from themselves and us, the future faking and planning as if everything would just go on the way it was, with him not talking and having manipulated the situation in such a way that any time I raised the issue it was "an attack on him."  It's what finally convinced me, after two years of it, that it would never get better and he would never change. I realized that he was willing to sacrifice me and my health and all my relationships for the rest of my life to his closet, and if he was willing to do this, he didn't have my interests at heart and couldn't possibly love me. If I was going to have a decent life and future, I was going to have to make it happen, because making my needs smaller and smaller was not anything that would, when he realized just what I was sacrificing (a realization he never would come to, I realized finally), push him to change.  He was just fine with things as they were.  When I finally told him I wanted a divorce and had already seen a lawyer, his face was a study in confusion and disbelief.  I'd taken so much, allowed so much, let every boundary fall--that I had a limit and that he had reached it was a complete shock to him.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (August 2, 2018 4:50 pm)

August 2, 2018 6:20 pm  #7

Thank you all for your kind words of support. I never wanted to identify as a Straight Spouse, never even heard of the term.  All of your replies remind me of my GIDH. Our stories are so similar. I did consider the possibility of a MOM relationship for about 3 weeks, But there is no way to be in a MOM relationship with A dishonest narcissist. It would always be All about him. I just realized I have to think of me, my values, my happiness, I want out of this mind fuck.....

August 2, 2018 8:36 pm  #8

delete

Last edited by Lynne (February 3, 2019 1:02 pm)

August 2, 2018 10:23 pm  #9

Lynne, 

It is difficult to see him on a weekly basis because he is out of state and expensive. $150 an hour. But he will also do coaching via phone. So I may use him selectively. But I had 3 sessions with him, and he provided me with insight and direction. He is also a gay man, but a man of integrity, he counsels gay men how to come out to their wives, also. He does a lot of talk interviews on line with Bonnie Kaye. 

Board footera