OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 29, 2018 8:28 pm  #1

My bisexual partner thinks she's gay, but is willing to stay together

Hello everyone, first post here.

I have been dating my current partner since almost a year and she told me from the beginning that she was bisexual. I consider myself a very open minded individual, liberal, and, sexually speaking, into experimenting, kinks and bdsm, so it's never been a problem for me. I'm experienced, but I don't think an open relationship could work for me. 

We met in NYC, but I had to move to Illinois in May 2018 because of my job. We decided to keep our relationship going, because both of us are in love, in a rare, true and intense way that both of us never felt in our lives. We spent the month on April together in Italy, then back to New York, and then I left. Since then we met 2 times, one in June and one in July. 

Living in a long distance relationship is not easy, especially for her. She lost both parents at a young age (she's 29 now) and has hard time with trust and affection and intimacy, because she's afraid of loss. Often times she refers to me as her "rock" and "the pinnacle of everything she ever desired from a partner", but she didn't find the courage to trust this (still young) relationship and move with me. Please mind that I had to move all of a sudden, I've been given a 3 weeks notice, so I agreed that it would've been really crazy. She's also living with roommates and has the contract on herself, so... we decided to wait. I'm also waiting for my permanent resident card so going back to New York was the main option on the table.

One week ago she took herself a week (without telling me what was that about, so making me suffer like a dog) to "think" because she felt overwhelmed. After an excruciating week we talked and she stated that there's a chance that she's gay. 

A little bit of context here. She said that the last time we had sex (when she came over in Illinois) she felt "fucked", not loved, and that she disconnected her mind from her body. She didn't like it and also told me that my "dominant" role in the bedroom is something she has hard time to deal with. On my side, I do not require to "dominate" in the bed to please myself or her. It's always been a matter of her pleasure first, so, a play, if we want. BUT the last time we had sex has been bad for me too. I've been through a lot (new position, moving, finding a place, being alone in a new place) and I wasn't into it, or particularly horny, but I felt we had to have sex because it's "the only 2 days a month we meet", so i HAD to do it. I kinda lazily played the dominant role and it was really bad. Just sad sex. I'll come back to this later on

A little bit more information about her. She graduated in arts and never had a real job in that field. She always served the tables or other jobs not pursuing her dreams. She's VERY depressed by this and a lot of other things that she has to work on. Her family is scattered around the world (she's the younger of 6) and she's living with her gay friend. She is having an existential crisis before a sexual identity one. She often refer to herself as a failure and she also feel the pressure of the competition that NYC pose. She feels like she doesn't know what she wants to do and, failed interview after failed interview, she's really down. VERY confused. She's also in therapy since 3 months.

Anyway, back to the present. After a week of silence and pain, when we finally talked we both were very emotional. On one side our love is incredibly strong, on the other side she's living in this confusion that doesn't help her figuring out what's going on, on MANY aspects of her life. After reassuring her about not being ashamed or sorry for how she's feeling, I also started to pose myself and her some questions. I started with telling her that, to me, her life looks like a boiling pot with a lot of ingredients in, on a fire burning at max power. Every single thing is overthought (see: I failed an interview, I'll never be able to succeed at anything), every single input is amplified. She came out with this after spending 3 day (out 7 of the radio silence week) on vacation with 3 of her bi/gay friends (all women). She had a (short and disastrous) relationship with a girl before (high school) and she didn't like sex at all.
I also asked her if she ever enjoyed sex with me and she said "yes of course". I then took a chance and tried something. I asked her that, if we weren't to break up, she would've had to move with me in order to grow together and see if it's worth pursuing a life together.

Unbelievably, she's willing to take a leap of faith and move with me to Illinois, trust me, trust someone for the first time in her life. I was (and am) obviously surprised. And scared.

I'm scared not just because of this new thing but also because many other factors are involved here, her personal realization, her life, her career, her happiness. Moving together could be the right thing to do to clear her mind and understand her sexuality, but it could also be a disaster that could ruin 2 lives. She really wants to explore, but she really wants to be with me. She wants to have sex with me and another girl. She's.....a lot. Guess what I'm trying to understand is if, in this vast sea of emotions and uncertainty, would be a good idea growing together or let her figure out herself alone. Both ways could (and WILL) hurt, but one of them could also mean a future together. We both want a family and kids, we both have a bright vision of our future. My parents are supportive, all of our friends are. We're very open with anyone and this brought us close to a lot of real friends.

I don't wanna make it too long here, there are obviously many many more details and shades, but I'd love to find support of people who had similar experiences.

Here's my main questions, please feel free to give me some tips about these, but about the whole situation as well.
1. Is it better to find your way by yourself? Is a partner involved in this kind of "explorations"?
2. What's gonna happen when you move with me? you won't have a job, a career, a path. What will happen?
3. What if this your enthusiasm is just temporary?
4. What about sex? will we be able to find intimacy again or will I be to scared to "do the wrong thing and lose you" every time?
5. Will I trust you again? (trust meant as "knowing who you are")
6. Is bad sex and distance a false signal for you to think you're gay? Being bisexual + distance and bad sex could?

Sorry for my english or grammar, I'm Italian.

Thanks a lot for the support, it'll mean a lot.
Simone

Last edited by cassetto (July 30, 2018 4:20 pm)

July 29, 2018 9:26 pm  #2

Re: My bisexual partner thinks she's gay, but is willing to stay together

Whew, I''m exhausted just reading your post. So much is flying around, So many uncertainties. Gay or not sounds like the least of the problems at the moment.

I am not a therapist but it sounds to me as if that is what your girlfriend needs right now. Like a drowning person she may be trying to hold onto you but rather than saving her both of you may go under. If this does not go well for her you can be sure you will be blamed by her.

You cannot be her therapist. You don't have the qualifications and you are too emotionally involved. Being someone's savior does not make for a healthy partnership: ideally there should be two people capable of functioning  well independently who choose to merge their lives as equals.

My advice is to proceed with caution.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

July 29, 2018 10:09 pm  #3

I would also suggest holding off on kids until you both are sure this relationship is working and she gets some successes in her life to hopefully get past the sense of failure.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

July 30, 2018 2:08 am  #4

I think you should add to your list of questions and ask her if she had already been having a sexual relationship with a woman whilst you have been together.

You sound like a wonderful boyfriend, I think she is all over the place in life because she’s struggling with her sexuality. She didn’t enjoy sex with that previous woman but wants to have sex with one and with you now? This is the kind of circular talk and ambiguity many of us here have heard.

I would say there are so many wonderful straight girls out there who will not ruin your life in 10 years time.

I’m sorry you have such complications so early on, I understand you love her but as many of us have found, sometimes love is just not enough.

July 30, 2018 4:51 am  #5

I think this young woman is carrying so much baggage she ought to be in steerage.
All questions about her sexuality aside, you are very right to be questioning whether her moving to Illinois to live with you will solve or add to your problems.  It is quite likely she will be dependent on you for everything, and grow increasingly unhappy with and resentful of you because of it.  She knows no one there, has no job or contacts in the art world, and by her own words and your admission does not know how to handle rejection (being turned down for a job interpreted as utter failure in life).  
   When you add to this the fact that she was unable to commit even to the clear guidelines you'd agreed on for a long distance relationship, and was unable to tell you before the fact that she needed a break, that is another reason to hesitate.
   Now add in her wondering about her sexuality.  Has she told you what has made her change her mind about her sexuality?  What has assured her that she is hetero, and not bi or gay?  If she's decided she's bi, is she willing and able to enter into an exclusive relationship with you and not act on it?  
   I think it's a dangerous to believe that she will decide whether she's straight or gay based on the feeling she has for you (or for anyone else).  We don't calibrate our sexuality by the person we're with, and with most people, that sexuality is innate and fundamental to ourselves.
  I would say that by far the wiser course of action for you is to ask her to work out for herself her doubts and her sexuality on her own, and then to see whether she is interested in a relationship with you.  You've seen this "all or nothing" approach of hers in other ways (the way a she sees a failed interview as signaling a failed life), and her willingness to throw herself into moving doesn't sound well thought out to me, but rather a desperate kind of attempt to re-start her life, rather than a heartfelt commitment to a life with you.
   If you decide to go ahead, you need to be very clear on some ground rules, and not just enter into this hoping it will work out.

July 30, 2018 10:40 am  #6

Duped wrote:

I think you should add to your list of questions and ask her if she had already been having a sexual relationship with a woman whilst you have been together.

You sound like a wonderful boyfriend, I think she is all over the place in life because she’s struggling with her sexuality. She didn’t enjoy sex with that previous woman but wants to have sex with one and with you now? This is the kind of circular talk and ambiguity many of us here have heard.

I would say there are so many wonderful straight girls out there who will not ruin your life in 10 years time.

I’m sorry you have such complications so early on, I understand you love her but as many of us have found, sometimes love is just not enough.

I'm curious about this "circular ambiguity", can you help me understand what it is? Or an example. etc. 

Thanks for the reply!

July 30, 2018 10:46 am  #7

OutofHisCloset wrote:

I think this young woman is carrying so much baggage she ought to be in steerage.
All questions about her sexuality aside, you are very right to be questioning whether her moving to Illinois to live with you will solve or add to your problems.  It is quite likely she will be dependent on you for everything, and grow increasingly unhappy with and resentful of you because of it.  She knows no one there, has no job or contacts in the art world, and by her own words and your admission does not know how to handle rejection (being turned down for a job interpreted as utter failure in life).  
   When you add to this the fact that she was unable to commit even to the clear guidelines you'd agreed on for a long distance relationship, and was unable to tell you before the fact that she needed a break, that is another reason to hesitate.

Now add in her wondering about her sexuality.  Has she told you what has made her change her mind about her sexuality?  What has assured her that she is hetero, and not bi or gay?  If she's decided she's bi, is she willing and able to enter into an exclusive relationship with you and not act on it?  
   I think it's a dangerous to believe that she will decide whether she's straight or gay based on the feeling she has for you (or for anyone else).  We don't calibrate our sexuality by the person we're with, and with most people, that sexuality is innate and fundamental to ourselves.

I would say that by far the wiser course of action for you is to ask her to work out for herself her doubts and her sexuality on her own, and then to see whether she is interested in a relationship with you.  You've seen this "all or nothing" approach of hers in other ways (the way a she sees a failed interview as signaling a failed life), and her willingness to throw herself into moving doesn't sound well thought out to me, but rather a desperate kind of attempt to re-start her life, rather than a heartfelt commitment to a life with you.
   If you decide to go ahead, you need to be very clear on some ground rules, and not just enter into this hoping it will work out.

I think you nailed it. See the bold text, I'll talk to her this Friday in person, and this will be one of the cores. 

To answer some other replies, I don't think she met with someone after I moved away from NYC. She's very honest and transparent. But I'll ask that too.

July 30, 2018 10:55 am  #8

Thanks for all the replies, they really help.

As a small update, yesterday we talked again (we're talking every day), and she felt that I'm leaning towards breaking up and letting her figure herself out by her own. 

First of all she is questioning her statement. "I don't think I'm gay" she said, not in an attempt of saving the relationship but in an honest burst of emotions. "I love you and I'm so turned on by you and your body, I love sex with you and it's out of the equation that I don't find you attractive or exciting"

Then she said that even if I will decide to break up she'll fight with all of her energy for me and this relationship, because "she never found someone like me, as open minded and willing to listen and care for her" and who loved her this much.

The core of all was once again her inability to let herself go to anyone in the past. She shared with me some personal and touching details about her father that I didn't know and how her family prevented her from feeling curious or feeling herself.

I know that there's a lot going on, so that's why I'm so scared of letting herself go. Not because I fear for her life or happiness or whatever, but because it could be one of the most important and revealing experiences of both our lives. We're talking these days so honestly... like we never did before. We're feeling closer, not more apart. 

I would hate to dump someone just because there's a lot of uncertainty going on or because I'm afraid of suffering.

I guess it's a matter of taking a chance or regretting a choice. And I'm totally torn and lost. I don't know what to do.

July 30, 2018 11:15 am  #9

Hi Casetto, 

Welcome to our group.  I'm glad you found us even though I'm sorry you are going through the confusing and difficult situation you are in. 

Your English is nearly perfect, so don't worry about how you communicate. 

You've gotten really good advice so far in this thread..  I'm so glad to see it. 
The one part that stands out most for me is the question about what her true sexuality is.  Is she truly bisexual?  Can she be equally satisfied by having sex with a man?  Or will she eventually feel the need to be with a woman?  If so, are you ok sharing your partner with another person?  Bisexuality seems to be common at a younger age when people are still trying to figure themselves out and strike a balance between what they truly desire and what society says they should desire.  My personal hypothesis is that most people who claim to be BI are just not fully comfortable saying they are gay.  

One big red flag for me is her choice of best friends..  I think people tend to be most comfortable around people who are at the core very similar to them.  My ex never seemed to have any close heterosexual female friends.. only lesbians.   I wasn't smart enough to put it together..  

I've learned the hard way, so my opinions are shaped by my life experience..  But I would never consider being in a relationship with someone who isn't 100% sure of their sexuality.  That's just me..  Other people have different feelings and different needs and perhaps you can find happiness being in love with someone who also desires another gender.  If so, then perhaps you will be happy being in a mixed orientation relationship.  

Either way.. i would want to know for sure before taking a big step forward.  If you want a permanent relationship with a bi women, it would be a shame to find out a few years from now that she is really lesbian and is unhappy.  

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

July 30, 2018 2:58 pm  #10

cassetto wrote:

How can you have a long distance relationship with so much emotion, so many questions and how can you trust that the answers are true when neither of you are face to face?

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera