OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 23, 2018 7:10 pm  #1

Uncertainty

I’ve just learned a couple of days ago that my hubby is quite likely gay.  It is so odd to put it into writing. I’ve been glued to this forum and have learned a lot from others’ experiences. I’m also quite surprised at the many similarities to my story that I’ve encountered.

We’ve been married for 26 years and have two daughters.  We have never had any common interests, (he seems to have no interests) and he is not a very good conversationalist.  Our marriage has been loveless and sexless for many years, but we have been comfortable with each other.

I have battled fatigue and pain all of my adult life, and he has always been very supportive; he took over driving our daughters to their lessons/games/friends/jobs as well as cooking and grocery shopping.  He would even drive me to appointments, although I never asked him to. He has made my life very easy.

He is retired now, and I am on a disability pension.  We are both content to just be with our family, and do not socialize with others. It has bothered me that we are so isolated, but I don’t have the energy to be social.  It is also difficult to make new friends.

I found some short videos he made of himself, and I was shocked.  Of course I know now that I should have seen the signs, but he is quite the gruff, rough around the edges kind of guy.  Nobody would ever guess that he could be gay.

I have not talked to him about it, but when I do, I fully expect him to deny it, as so many others have experienced.

The uncertainty I am faced with is do I continue as we have been?  I've always been aware that he has made himself indispensable to me, purposely, but I figured he just didn’t want to end up alone. He doesn’t go out anywhere, and spends most of his time at home, as I do, so there seems to be no threat of another relationship. I think I am upset that he kept this from me all these years.

I have another issue.  For years, I was happy that he took over our finances. I was terrible at paying bills on time.  We worked together, and our paycheques were identical, so we have always had a joint account.  He came into this relationship with a small debt; I had none.  He was/is an alcoholic and drank heavily, which I unwittingly contributed to financially.  These are minor incidents.  The major one is that I found out about a year and a half ago that we are in a catastrophic amount of debt.  We will never pay off our mortgage, and he entered into a Consumer Proposal, which is 1 step above bankruptcy, to pay his credit card debt, which will take 5 years to pay off.  I didn't know he had 5 credit cards.  My cc debt was $3000; his was $90,0000.  The kicker is that we have absolutely nothing to show for it. No vacations, no renovations, no new car, etc.  I don’t know how that happened. Was it that we just couldn’t keep up with the interest payments?  Why did he not tell me before it got to this?  I discovered our debt when I decided to start keeping statements in files.  At first I only knew about our mortgage ( it’s 3-4 times the cc debt).  I was, of course, devastated.  I went through all our bank statements, found no answers there, and asked him if there was anything I should know about. Of course there was nothing.

I don’t know what to do.  Stay or not.  I had resigned myself to staying in a loveless marriage, even with the debt, but this new revelation has me rethinking everything.  Any insight would be very much appreciated.

July 23, 2018 7:35 pm  #2

Re: Uncertainty

Go see a lawyer and begin protecting yourself financially.
Your husband has used you, in several ways.  
Why would you even consider it something to consider, staying in a loveless marriage to a man who has cheated you financially and sexually, and probably cheated ON you as well. 
Have you ever considered that your social isolation is a result of living with a man who is closeted?  Or that your illnesses have been your body's way of manifesting the stress of living with him and his alcoholism and his sexual rejection of you?

July 23, 2018 8:39 pm  #3

Thank you for your reply and honesty.
It took me a while to understand that he carefully cultivated a life designed to keep me with him.  He didn’t want kids, so when I told him I would leave him, he had a reversal.  When I wanted to leave him because of his drinking, he quit.  In fact, a few years before he quit, he promised me that he would ‘slow down’ his drinking, but I discovered that he was hiding an open can of beer, making it appear that the can he was seen with was lasting longer than it really was.  He has managed to make himself look good in other people's eyes (a neighbor once commented in front of me about what a wonderful father my girls had - he has done all the driving, cooking....my contributions were not noted).  He has been the one that is out and about, seeing people in the grocery store, etc, talking to them.  I used to wonder, when I first went on disability leave, why nobody I came across asked me about it.  I realize now that he has been answering those questions for me. I have wanted to leave this marriage a few times, and I have wondered what my health would be like if I was on my own. I’m dreading the conversation I have to have with him, because I know he won’t own up to it.

July 24, 2018 9:40 am  #4

Don't let your dread of the conversation prevent you from acting.  Somehow we all act as if we are part of a couple, when that notion, that we are a couple, is an illusion.  They aren't equally invested in the marriage, they don't consider their actions in light of our needs or feelings, and yet, still, we are and do.  You know what you know.  You know how he deflects and deceives.  You can act unilaterally and to protect yourself without having that conversation.  It's called prevention--which is worth a pound of cure.

July 24, 2018 10:32 am  #5

Hi KC,

Often we find that the reason we are putting off having that conversation is because underneath it all we are actually a bit scared of how they will react.  I know this was true of me.

I'm not so sure it would be a good idea to confront your husband.  I hope there is someone, family or friend that you can reach out to and have support.  Talk to them first.

all the best, Lily

July 24, 2018 11:04 am  #6

KC:  Speaking as a lawyer myself, you need to see a lawyer about your financial situation.  You can sit and think about TGT if you need to, and obviously the two issues are interrelated -- he's lying about both, he's kept you in the dark about both, both are probably related to his drinking, etc.  

There are too many red flags here.  You need support and reassurance from us, but you really need a lawyer to keep this situation from getting exponentially worse.  You don't want your daughters to have to become responsible for your support just because your husband squandered your credit.  That's not fair to them.

July 24, 2018 12:09 pm  #7

Thank you, everybody, for your insights.  I know now that I’m dreading the conversation because his anger will flare.  One of the similarities my situation has with others’ here is that we don’t fight; we have gotten along well all these years.  Except when I wanted him to quit drinking.  He was so miserable that I wanted him to start drinking again. 
I’m ashamed to admit it, but I have become reclusive. There is one person I could call my friend, but I'm not sure I can trust her to keep quiet about it. I will be asking my mother to visit; I can talk to her.
As for getting a lawyer, I think the damage is done.  The mortgage is in both of our names, (the cc debt is in his name only) and I don’t think it could get any worse....

July 24, 2018 12:39 pm  #8

Hi KC, 

Welcome to our forum.  I'm so sorry you find yourself here asking these incredibly hard questions. 

As mentioned above, you really have two different issues that come to the same root cause.   Dishonesty
He may not have lied to you directly, but withholding his sexual attraction and then this major financial disaster is a big problem.  

If you asked my advice on how to move forward, I'd start by addressing this underlying issue.  You deserve honesty.  Then you can decide if you want to move forward together as a team or move forward on your own.  Either way can be ok and we will help as much as we can.  But if you don't trust him it seems like it would be fruitless. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

July 24, 2018 1:11 pm  #9

After learning of his secret, my first thoughts were of staying - because we got along, because of the debt that we could deal with together, and our marriage was not really a marriage for years (it would remain the same).  But after reading through the forum and lots of thinking, I am seriously questioning how the debt was created.  You’re right that he did not lie directly, but withholding something that big makes me wonder what else (financially) he’s been withholding.  I fully expect that he will not be honest with me when the conversation happens. I am taking Lily’s advice (thank you lily!) and will talk to my mother first.  Unfortunately for me, she lives about 3 hours away,so I won’t be talking to her soon.  In the meantime, I appreciate this forum and will continue to use it     

July 24, 2018 1:31 pm  #10

Please gather all the financial documents that you can get your hands on and do not let him know in any way what you are thinking.  Then consult an attorney who handles consumer debtors' problems. Is it possible that he refinanced the mortgage and/or took on new debt by forging your signature? I would like to believe that post-recession there are more shady lenders and mortgage brokers than there were leading up to it but you already know that he is sneaky and dishonest and I know that this used to happen.

Once you know how badly you are on the hook in this financial mess he's created the better you can decide if, how and when you want to leave this marriage.

Mum may not be the person to go to about this yet because you want to keep your plans a secret.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

Board footera