OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2018 7:26 am  #11

Re: do we have to have a MOM section?

I think whether we decide to try to stay in a marriage to a gay person or not is deeply rooted in our own psychology and what value and respect we put on ourselves.  This goes back to our childhood.  If you believe that you are not “enough” you tend to settle for things instead of taking the risks involved to attain more.

A narcissist controls you by constantly eroding your self esteem to the point that you begin to believe that you can not function without them and you are not worthy of more.  You become indecisive. You lose your true identity and they get the high playing God in your life.  When they can’t get anything else out of you, they move to their next victim.  You are left an empty shell and must dig very deep into your essence to find yourself and begin to grow.  It can be done, against all odds. 

The “gift” of my experience married to a homosexual  (32 years of my life was invested in that relationship) is that it forced me to look at my own childhood and discover what beliefs made me think I wasn’t worthy of a normal, healthy, vibrant, honest committed marriage.  It was a process of discovery, decision making and personal growth.  I no longer settle for the mediocrity of existing; I live a challenging, joy-filled life and have no regrets on divorcing a gay man, therefore making room in my life for abundance and healthy love.

July 24, 2018 7:38 am  #12

Baffled wrote:

The “gift” of my experience married to a homosexual (32 years of my life was invested in that relationship) is that it forced me to look at my own childhood and discover what beliefs made me think I wasn’t worthy of a normal, healthy, vibrant, honest committed marriage. It was a process of discovery, decision making and personal growth. I no longer settle for the mediocrity of existing; I live a challenging, joy-filled life and have no regrets on divorcing a gay man, therefore making room in my life for abundance and healthy love.

Baffled, I can't tell you how much I love this statement. Yes, yes, and YES. Sometimes we tend to hold on to something (or someone) so tightly and with both hands that we can't reach out and grab anything else that life has to offer, and I guess that is fine if you are happy. If we aren't though, why are we holding on so tightly?

Stay strong

July 24, 2018 8:59 am  #13

My $.02.. 

I see nothing wrong with someone taking pride in the path they are walking.  Acknowledging the challenges you face, which may be different and often more difficult than the path others take is motivating to yourself and others like you.  I do understand that those compliments paid to yourself and others taking a similar road might seem like a slight to others on different paths, but I don't think it is done intentionally. 

In retrospect, I'm guilty of doing the exact same thing.. 
I speak often about the difficulty that straight spouses face when going through divorce.  We have extra layers of complications and emotional baggage that normal hetero couples do not.  I've written many times that we have a harder path because we have the added layer of the fraud and lies and intimate rejection that comes with being married to a LGBT person.  I feel like it's a reasonable statement to say that we have a harder challenge to overcome.   But, I can imagine that some of my friends who have gone through divorce without the str8 spouse issues might take exception to what I have said and could possibly be insulted or feel belittled. They won't have the same understanding of the experience and they might have their own troubles that I don't understand.  So, by emphasizing the difficulty I faced, did I insult others by making their path seem easy?   I certainly never intended to do that.  I think this example is what is happening here.  I don't think there was any intent to make anyone else feel as though they are taking the easy way out or that they are not as amazing and courageous as others.  

As for whether that section should be a section or a thread:
I feel it's appropriate for those who wish to maintain their MOM to have their own section.  It is a different experience, in some ways harder and perhaps in other ways easier, but, because it's different I think it deserves to have it's own section on the forum.  The major reason for this was to create an atmosphere that is positive and constructive. 
I can't relate personally to that experience. From my own personal path, I can't see how staying married to my ex would have been beneficial, so I don't have a well of helpful advice.  My honest opinions, which I would offer in a genuine desire to help, wouldn't be well received, so I steer clear of the area because my advice would be to leave and that would be negative and harmful.. 

The initial reasoning for the separate section was to keep an area reserved for more optimistic and constructive discussion and free of negativity and I think that has been successful.  I think those people who post in that area are finding this beneficial.  The activity in that forum is starting to grow and that's a great thing. 

The SSN is here to support all people who find out their spouse is LGBT.  We want to support those who decide to stay married as well as those to wish to separate.   

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

July 24, 2018 9:29 am  #14

delete

Last edited by Lynne (February 27, 2019 6:56 pm)

July 24, 2018 10:24 am  #15

As a new member of this forum, I just wanted to share my view on this thread. I found out about my husband several months ago, and I began researching online about how to deal with something like, and discovered that I wasn't alone in this. I found out that so many before me have found this out about their spouse, and I felt comforted that I wasn't alone.

It took me a while, but I made the decision that I would stay with my husband, and that we would make it work. Although it was very difficult for me though to keep to that decision when everything I kept reading online was advice saying that you should leave him, and it will never work, and he is better off being who he really is etc. So, I stayed away from reading things online, and our relationship started to improve as I wasn't continually reading advice that I should leave him. And no, I'm not in denial about the whole thing, we made the decision together that we would stay together, and we are fully entitled to that decision, just as others are entitled to leave after finding out something like this. Every relationship is different.

I definitely don't see myself as an "especially wonderful woman" for staying with him, I'm far from that. If anything, it probably takes so much more courage to be able to make the opposite decision and leave. But at the same time, it's unfair to keep reading that my marriage will never work and making those of us who choose to stay feel like we are cruel for doing so, because we are keeping him from coming out, or that we deserve whatever happens because we chose to stay... or that we shouldn't be allowed to have a place to talk on here.

While I don't agree with many of the things said by Yaz, it doesn't mean there shouldn't be a MOM section. If anything, seeing the MOM section is what made me finally sign up to this forum. I thought it would be a place for me to talk to others in my situation, somewhere I could talk about this without being judged for my decision. But reading a thread titled "do we have to have a MOM section?" makes me feel judged. It makes me feel as though I'm not welcome here because I decided to stay with him, so therefore I shouldn't be entitled to talk about it.

I also don't see the MOM section as being bad for someone who just discovered their spouse is LGBT. I think it's essential to have it actually, because when I first found out and started reading online, the only things I saw were advice to leave and how to heal and move on afterwards... it suggested to me that there was only one option in this situation, that my marriage was over, and that I had to learn to deal with that. I felt stupid and judged that I wanted to do the exact opposite of the advice out there. It gives me comfort to know that both options are ok, and I think it's important for someone who has just found out to know that. I'm not telling them they should stay and make their marriage work, but they should at least know it's as much an option as leaving is. Every relationship is different, some people might want to stay, and some might not... and both are equally reasonable options.

I think there should be space for everyone to talk, because everyone's situation is different, and it's not fair to exclude people because they made a different decision to you.

July 24, 2018 11:37 am  #16

I looked at the post, and briefly glanced at the linked study.  I can see it's not something I'm going to be able to handle, so maybe in a few weeks or months when I'm in a better place emotionally I'll read it, but today's not the day.

I would normally comment on that thread by responding in the thread, but I think the thread title implies it's a support thread for people who are seeking useful strategies ... not criticism.  So I'll post here instead.

My first reaction when I discovered my husband's infidelities: I couldn't possibly consider divorce.  In fact, the SSN woman who initially responded to my desperate e-mails was so strongly focused on pushing divorce, I ended up brushing her aside and coming to this forum to get a more nuanced approach.

Since that study only addresses straight wife/gay husband MOM's, I'm addressing that aspect.

I don't fault any woman who makes the choice to remain with an unfaithful husband.  She doesn't need to provide me with reasons, or prove to my satisfaction that she's holding it together for the "right" reasons, whatever those are.  

I had posted earlier that I felt these marriages were not happy or thriving, but rather were being endured.  I don't know if Yaz or anyone else felt that I was being unduly critical of MOM's in general, so I don't know if the thread was started in reaction to my post, but I did want to clarify this much: if five out of six of these marriages ultimately fail, that really says something.  I totally get that one out of six doesn't end in divorce, but if a marriage takes that much work to endure, is that really what you think "happily ever after" is supposed to look like?  

The survey's author goes way out of his way to acknowledge that his own gayness may have colored his perception, and I'll give him props for that.  But I'd like to know what marriage would ever survive the discovery of a quarter century of deliberate deception on the part of one spouse, even if the issue of sexuality were not there.  I'd like to know what marriage would ever survive one spouse forcing a quarter century of chastity on the other without explanation, whilst indulging his every whim on the side.

Even without the issue of TGT, there are some marriages that shouldn't survive.  

July 24, 2018 11:38 am  #17

first of all I am not talking exclusion I am talking shift from being a section to a thread.  obviously this is not going to happen as the administrator is in favour of the section remaining.  I stand by my remark - it's head-turning.  Like you've got to believe night is day.   

you say every relationship is different, well yes that is true, so is every snowflake.  I met my gay in denial ex when I was 19.  I remember in my 40's, still married and no idea he was gay, thinking it was like I was wearing an ill-fitting shoe.   

plenty of people end up staying in mixed orientation marriages - like you, I do not feel judgemental about it.

July 24, 2018 11:38 am  #18

Lynne, you are right that in this case we have a rare example of someone who did know the truth about their spouse in advance.  So she doesn't fit the norm here.  But that doesn't mean she isn't welcome or can't be helpful in providing support to other members of this group.  That is why we are here..  to support each other. 

I fully understand what you are saying.  I appreciate that you were willing to speak plainly and ask the question.  That tells me we have a good open atmosphere here and we have mature dialogue. However, I think in the end this situation resembles what we have with Sean.  We have a resource that is helpful to many people.  Unfortunately it isn't perfectly helpful to all people.. it's existence could be a trigger or cause unhappiness to some.  But, those who don't appreciate it always have the option to avoid reading it.  I think it's in the best interest of the group as a whole. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

July 24, 2018 11:43 am  #19

Survival90 wrote:

As a new member of this forum, I just wanted to share my view on this thread. 

I think there should be space for everyone to talk, because everyone's situation is different, and it's not fair to exclude people because they made a different decision to you.

Survival90, 
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks so much for signing up and sharing your thoughts.  I agree with your statement completely.  I hope you continue to find value in the MOM section. 

We are a big family here.. we all love one another, but we don't always agree 100%.   We're learning to navigate this process together.  We are also continuing to learn how to make this forum the best it can be.  So I value the feedback we get from everyone's different perspectives and do my best to make this place as helpful as possible to as many people as possible. 

I hope you stick around and share in the discussions and both give and get encouragement to continue along your path.   All my best!

July 24, 2018 11:49 am  #20

goodness Phoenix!  is it so hard to understand the difference between a thread and a section?  Sean has very appropriately got his thread under the section for is he gay or not as this is the question most straight spouses want to ask him.

Board footera