OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 23, 2018 5:00 pm  #1

do we have to have a MOM section?

just wondering.  the latest post there is expressing a view that is pretty insulting to the rest of us - now we're second class compared to these especially wonderful women who can put up with marriage to a gay man - do we need to do this?   there are forums elsewhere for people trying to make a MOM work.  

July 23, 2018 5:15 pm  #2

Re: do we have to have a MOM section?

.I don't see myself as an "especially wonderful woman "  
I'm simply doing the best I can with the resources I have. This forum has been and still is 
incredibly helpful 

KIA KAHA                       

July 23, 2018 6:59 pm  #3

glad to hear it.  it is one of the things I have noticed over the years, we straights tend to believe we're doing something 'special' or with a 'special' person while we're still married to them but when you leave then you realise how very unspecial it is, the way you've been treated.

it is one thing to discuss strategies for coping being in a MOM - why not, we've all been there - but it is crossing a line isn't it to promote them as if it is meritorious to stay in them as the latest poster in your section is doing.

I feel for her, but I also feel for all the men and women who come on here like I did - no proof, nothing concrete, just all that side-stepping morass of denial to wade through.  And just like I did, likely to have a side helping of enough guilt and blame laden on by their GID spouse to sink a ship.

as I said earlier - do we need a separate section?  it's a bit head-turning, imo. 

Last edited by lily (July 23, 2018 7:02 pm)

July 23, 2018 7:36 pm  #4

lily wrote:

as I said earlier - do we need a separate section?  it's a bit head-turning, imo. 

I'm relieved now that I wasn't accepted into a Yahoo MOM group. I see now....from Yaz's posts....that it's a whole other level of where we all are in our r'ships
I don't feel Yaz was trying to promote MOMs as a meritorious option, but rather....for her....she's found her 'couples place' in the world and feels confidant telling her truth. And isn't that okay? It won't convince me to proceed any faster in my own journey.

In fact it just confirmed I'm not ready to entertain the type of MOM-r'ship that Yaz has. This section should be read by the people in MOMs who need the information to make informed decisions. 
Knowledge is power

Last edited by Ellexoh_nz (July 23, 2018 7:38 pm)

KIA KAHA                       

July 23, 2018 7:51 pm  #5

I felt for YazPistachio; so chirpily invested in making it work.  Such a happy little cheerleader for giggly laughs before sex, and so very understanding of HIS pain, never considering that she, too, has a sexuality, and has equal rights and need to have it satisfied. 
   A lot of us have been there, in denial, and I've been in her shoes, trying to control the outcomes by participating eagerly in his sexuality, and patting myself on the back for it.   But the spectre of becoming a YazPistachio kept nagging at me. Some people make their sexuality their focus in life (what my oldest and best friend, a lesbian, calls "a professional gay person," as opposed to a person who lives their life and for which their gayness is just one aspect of life), and I didn't want to have my stbx's sexuality take over and become the focus of my life. 
    Seems that most of us don't have honest partners who are willing to engage us in open and honest conversations about their sexuality and its implications for our marriages.  Yaz seems to think she does; perhaps she does.  At any rate, it's her choice to make and her life to live.  I read that thread, but I mostly stay out of it; I've made a different choice.  
   At any rate, I think, like Lynne, that now that we've got that thread, it's here to stay.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (July 23, 2018 7:52 pm)

July 23, 2018 10:46 pm  #6

I'm not sure I understand what is being referenced here.  Is there something that needs admin attention or are we ok?

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

July 23, 2018 11:28 pm  #7

but it's not a thread, it's a section.  

I think we all agree that the time this site comes to the fore is for the straight spouse in the first stages of discovery.  So many of us arrive here in a state of shock, and it's the corroboration we get that is of such value and I think that's compromised by having the 'MOM's are good for you' views as a front page section.  When I first arrived here my spouse was saying I was crazy for thinking he was gay and it was the people on this site who suggested he was probably in denial.  and I had no concept of that - I just assumed he was being honest with me like I was with him.   

my suggestion is to replace the section with a thread.  maybe Ellexoh could think about starting a thread in the support section?

July 23, 2018 11:29 pm  #8

hi Phoenix - yes your attention, I've just posted my suggestion.

July 23, 2018 11:53 pm  #9

lily wrote:

but it's not a thread, it's a section.  

I think we all agree that the time this site comes to the fore is for the straight spouse in the first stages of discovery.  So many of us arrive here in a state of shock, and it's the corroboration we get that is of such value and I think that's compromised by having the 'MOM's are good for you' views as a front page section.  When I first arrived here my spouse was saying I was crazy for thinking he was gay and it was the people on this site who suggested he was probably in denial.  and I had no concept of that - I just assumed he was being honest with me like I was with him.   

my suggestion is to replace the section with a thread.  maybe Ellexoh could think about starting a thread in the support section?

Nowhere have I seen the view/words "MOMs are good for you" 

KIA KAHA                       

July 24, 2018 5:23 am  #10

I suspect that Lily may be extrapolating from statements like these: 

"...you have now seen a pretty clear demonstration of two different ways to approach your situation... with trust and recognition of what you do have between you and a full intention of not only being open to learn more about each other, but to celebrate and encourage each other as partners as you journey together through life... or with suspicion, defensiveness, expectations of pain/hurt, and fear."

"I'm taking it upon myself...to bring a positive spin into spaces like this that currently might feel hostile to those like me."

"I feel that it's my job as his partner to help him not only come to terms with who he is and what he desires, but to celebrate and honor it, in ways that affirm us as a couple, me as his partner, AND him as a gay man."

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (July 24, 2018 5:24 am)

Board footera