OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 12, 2018 4:16 pm  #1

Gas lighting - Poem for Support

I wrote this poem in response to my wife trying to convince me that I'm mentally ill for the past three years.  I have stayed with her because I don't want to be separated from my daughters.  I've adjusted to the fact that I will never get the truth from my wife, but it still hurts when she actively tries to convince me that I'm mentally ill after I caught her in lies.  The odd thing is that I've dragged her to doctors, therapists, lawyers, priests, and family members, but she hasn't so much as reached out to anyone to get me help for my so called affliction.  At this point her silence is the best I can hope for.

Don’t need Truth 
You were my friend, the one to give my all.
The one that had my heart, the one that could make me fall.
I didn’t look at others, why settle for second best.
You were my everything, in this life and the next.

I don’t need the Truth, but I can’t take the lies.
So, don’t move your lips, unless you can look me in the eyes.
I’m not asking for any treasure, but don’t take what is mine.
Your silence will give me, all that is fine.

I lost your heart, and I don’t know when.
What we built; I didn’t want it to end.
Your serpent’s tongue was easy to believe.
The prison cell was beautifully conceived.

Why did you take the best of us, and put it at risk?
My heart was already yours, why also take the kids?
You stepped too far by taking that which was not given.
Betraying a child’s trust, causes their worlds to be shaken.

I don’t need the Truth, but I can’t take the lies.
So, don’t move your lips, unless you can look me in the eyes.
I’m not asking for any treasure, but don’t take what is mine.
Your silence will give me, all that is fine.

Thank you for the lesson, Silence is a gift.
I’ll give it to others, so they may find their bliss.
I’d rather be a poor man, than one that speaks for gain.
So, look me in the eyes, and do not say my name.

July 12, 2018 4:57 pm  #2

Re: Gas lighting - Poem for Support

Hello Hemingway,

It was great to read your poem, it is "strentghly" beautiful. I can feel your pain and understand each word behind it...
Keep it strong!

July 12, 2018 5:05 pm  #3

Re: Gas lighting - Poem for Support

Yes, if their lips are moving they are lying.   I also stayed for my kids.  But divorced now I am so happy.. the people I have in my life now I do not have to worry if they are telling me the truth or have some other agenda.   I live in reality now with people that care about me.

It is one of the most hurtful feelings..  them telling you that something happened that didnt and them screaming with it such conviction that it must be true no?   and that your are crazy.

I wish you strength and endurance as you live this...your right that silence is preferred and better.   But please work on getting away from your spouse.. You cannot live this forever.  They are not Gods and do not have the power to change reality. 

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera